Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Agree With Brad ??

Hey... not fair! Nobody here is saying that. Personally, I couldn't have BEEN more clear that those who behave the worst are the minority.

I explained pretty well that as an atheist when someone discovers in real time (or on line, often times) it is the loud horrible Christians I encounter. The nice folks sit back and watch. I think Lauren made the same point.

Nobody here has claimed as you say. In atheism terms, we call that attitude the persecuted Christian claim. It's simply untrue.

Even though I understand your point, from a Christian standpoint, I also encounter plenty of loud horrible atheists....in different forums, etc... but it's not always all of them, so I wouldn't say the "the nice" folks sit back and watch... because then I'd be saying that atheists in general are not nice....I'm sure you've encountered some loud horrible Christians, same way I've encountered some loud horrible atheists, but I'm sure that there are some from both groups sitting back and watching and being nice....

Wasa: I, too, get very annoyed at religious people coming to my door to "convert" me! I can see why you or others would feel battered by these people. But I have never done that, and I don't know any one else who has. If someone does not want to believe in God, fine, it is not for me to determine their life's direction. But because I haven't tried to ram my beliefs down other people's throats, and no one I know does that, either, does it mean it doesn't happen? Of course it does. That is what I am saying here. Maybe you don't generalize Christians or lump the bad ones in with the good, but I have experienced it many, many times. It is very real for me, as your experiences are for you. The only difference I notice is that in most of what I read, there is usually a disclaimer when talking about Muslim and other (non-Christian) extremists: "This does not represent the entire Muslim community, etc." I just don't see it when discussing Christian extremists. I wish I did, but I just haven't seen it.

...If someone does not want to believe in God, fine, it is not for me to determine their life's direction. ...

Belief is not a choice. It's not like a light switch ones turns on and off. It is or it isn't.

What would it take for you to simply quit believing in your God? Simple, right? :)

Astrology isn't a science. Astronomy is. Two very different fields.

And I'm still not sure what you are talking about with the statement " Holidays espcially easter and the resurrection of christ ,jesus walking on Water,etc." I need a sentence, here.

First of all I don't need you to correct me.

The science of astrology/ and the study of astronomy.

Call it as you may.

The universe has always been here.

Of course you don't know what I'm talking about.

tO belittle my character by saying I am not speaking in complete sentences to you is childish.

You are a christian scientist?

No such thing!

We are on two different spiritual/religious paths.

I'll leave it at that.

Good day!.

Belief is not a choice. It's not like a light switch ones turns on and off. It is or it isn't.

What would it take for you to simply quit believing in your God? Simple, right? :)

Belief is a choice.

I have been to many many churches.

Different religions.

Nobody owes anyone an explaination as to why they believe what they believe.

This is your path noone elses!

Well, I sure didn't phrase that right, did I? I said in an earlier post that I was a skeptic that became a true believer after a profound spiritual experience, so of course I know that you can't simply "turn on" your beliefs by yourself. I guess I didn't make that clear with the above sentence. I should have said "If someone does not believe in God...."

Belief is a choice.

I have been to many many churches.

Different religions.

Nobody owes anyone an explaination as to why they believe what they believe.

This is your path noone elses!

When it comes to a belief in a god is most certainly is not a choice. It is either there or it isn't. One does not turn belief on and off at will.

Just like astrology is a study, astronomy is a science. The two are not the same.

Nobody asked for an explanation of why someone believes or doesn't believe. The issue is if it is a choice.

I totally agree with you about the path issue. Each person is on their own path in this world. No two paths are the same.

You don't have to be religious to believe in the creator.

You don't have to belong to a specific group.

Why label and seperate if the mission is the same?

Religion and politics(a no no for discussion)

Well, I sure didn't phrase that right, did I? I said in an earlier post that I was a skeptic that became a true believer after a profound spiritual experience, so of course I know that you can't simply "turn on" your beliefs by yourself. I guess I didn't make that clear with the above sentence. I should have said "If someone does not believe in God...."

I am the QUEEN of having to rephrase things to explain what I meant vs. what I wrote. :)

First of all I don't need you to correct me.

The science of astrology/ and the study of astronomy.

Call it as you may.

The universe has always been here.

Of course you don't know what I'm talking about.

tO belittle my character by saying I am not speaking in complete sentences to you is childish.

You are a christian scientist?

No such thing!

We are on two different spiritual/religious paths.

I'll leave it at that.

Good day!.

Um, what? I wasn't being facetious to you. I seriously don't understand what you mean by "Holidays espcially easter and the resurrection of christ, jesus walking on Water,etc." That isn't a full sentence, just a list of subjects. I need to know what you are saying about them. What about holidays? What about the resurrection of christ? What about jesus walking on Water? It's not belittling your character to ask you to type in a complete sentence. Otherwise, people have no clue what you are talking about. It would be like me saying, "biology, medicine, insects." What about biology, medicine, insects? People cannot read your mind!

Again, astrology is not considered a science. It is considered to be a psuedoscience at best. Go as any biologist or physicist or chemist and ask them if astrology is a science. They will, without a doubt, say no. Astrology is divination by the position of stars and moons. Astonomy is the study of matter in outer space. There is a vast difference between the two. One is a science. The other is not. Period.

And again, NO, I'm not a "christian scientist." I'm an ATHEIST.

When it comes to a belief in a god is most certainly is not a choice. It is either there or it isn't. One does not turn belief on and off at will.

Just like astrology is a study, astronomy is a science. The two are not the same.

Nobody asked for an explanation of why someone believes or doesn't believe. The issue is if it is a choice.

I totally agree with you about the path issue. Each person is on their own path in this world. No two paths are the same.

So when you are a child do you truly choose or do your parents choose for you?

Astrology and astronomy work together.

Elena...

Atheists tend to lump certain types of Christians in one group and we refer to them as fundies. Fundies to most of us are the type of folks as in the link posted above.

There are quite a few atheists that would disagree with me but I have a hunch Lauren would agree with me about my thoughts on this.

Just as there are Christian fundies there are atheist fundies. They are the type that want to do the thinking for everyone, they want everyone to believe (or lack belief) as they do, anyone who doesn't think and feel as they do are stupid and unable to think on their own, etc. There ARE atheist fundies. Fundies are not a specific religion in my mind, they are a specific mindset, they have a specific way of thinking.

Ron is one of them, he used to post over here but pretty much realized he was out of his league and ran away when he couldn't battle those with a working brain. But the fundies here of either side (believer/non believer) are few and far between.

With that I totally agree and the site that you posted above is simply disgusting.... I'm sorry that you have encountered so many horrible Christians in your life..... I've encountered a few horrible atheists, and a few horrible Christians and a couple of horrible muslims.... not counting the terrorists around the world....because I hadn't dealt with them personally....LOL

I also read that you have Christians at your door steps all the time trying to convert you and/or condemn you... I'm 45, in my entire life, I think they knocked on my door...say 2-3 times max....and now that I remember, it always happened at this particular house, so I gues I've been just lucky....maybe they work more in some areas? I don't know.... I'm trying to think if I would be very bothered if an atheist would show up at my door steps and tried to convert me....I'd like to think that I wouldn't be so bothered by it....I think I probably wouldn't care and I would probably be nice to them....now if it happened all the time....well, then maybe I'd be pissed.... mostly because I would have to be getting up and answering the dang door....lOL!

So when you are a child do you truly choose or do your parents choose for you?

Astrology and astronomy work together.

Yes, they do work together. But they aren't the same. One is a science, the other is not.

Wasa: I, too, get very annoyed at religious people coming to my door to "convert" me! I can see why you or others would feel battered by these people. But I have never done that, and I don't know any one else who has. If someone does not want to believe in God, fine, it is not for me to determine their life's direction. But because I haven't tried to ram my beliefs down other people's throats, and no one I know does that, either, does it mean it doesn't happen? Of course it does. That is what I am saying here. Maybe you don't generalize Christians or lump the bad ones in with the good, but I have experienced it many, many times. It is very real for me, as your experiences are for you. The only difference I notice is that in most of what I read, there is usually a disclaimer when talking about Muslim and other (non-Christian) extremists: "This does not represent the entire Muslim community, etc." I just don't see it when discussing Christian extremists. I wish I did, but I just haven't seen it.

Totally agree, and also I've never tried to convert anybody, ever....

I am the QUEEN of having to rephrase things to explain what I meant vs. what I wrote. :)

I suspect you are Queen of a very large group.... myself included! :phanvan