Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tuesday's the day

Well, I go in on Tuesday. I'm terrified but not for reasons I was before. Can anyone give me tips/how they felt waking up? I'm nervous because I'm seeing a lot of people are either regretting it, or just plain miserable with pain and serious complications. I'm considered low risk if that has anything to do with complications afterwards..

I had no complications. I still felt like crap because I HAD JUST HAD MAJOR SURGERY. Let's remember this. Your body is going to go through a major shock. You appear to be young. I was 55 when I had my surgery in August. I have a pretty extensive health history. I was walking around the floor of the hospital within hours of my surgery and did laps every hour to combat the gas. Nerves are OK. In fact, if you weren't scared it would be concerning. This is major surgery -- granted one with few complications and a high success rate -- but keep in mind that its going to take 6 weeks, minimum for your body to heal. It was about 4 months before I started to feel normal. But slowly but surely you will feel better . Won't losing the weight be better than the health risks you will face -- diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, joint problems?

I'm down almost 100 pounds in less than a year. It was worth it.

I had no complications. I still felt like crap because I HAD JUST HAD MAJOR SURGERY. Let's remember this. Your body is going to go through a major shock. You appear to be young. I was 55 when I had my surgery in August. I have a pretty extensive health history. I was walking around the floor of the hospital within hours of my surgery and did laps every hour to combat the gas. Nerves are OK. In fact, if you weren't scared it would be concerning. This is major surgery -- granted one with few complications and a high success rate -- but keep in mind that its going to take 6 weeks, minimum for your body to heal. It was about 4 months before I started to feel normal. But slowly but surely you will feel better . Won't losing the weight be better than the health risks you will face -- diabetes, high blood pressure, heart problems, joint problems?

Oh I totally agree it'll be worth it! I've never had surgery in my life. Only been put under for wisdom teeth removal and don't even remember it. I'm only 20 years old and trying to make a lifestyle change that's permanent. I never want to be where I've been the past 5 years. I've never had any health concerns really. I do have a benign growth tumor in my knee but from growth, nothing serious. I've just read a lot of people's posts that made me very nervous.. I don't handle pain too well lol. Plus I'm not excited for the 3 hour flight home [emoji24] but it'll be worth it in the long run.

Oh, I forgot to mention. Did you have difficulties drinking the 3 days you were there, or end up in the ER at any point (if you don't mind me asking that is) ?

Oops, I thought this was the other thread. I see you've made your decision.
I woke up happy, a bit nauseated (I got meds and it went away). I don't remember much from that part. Went to my room and was sore. I used my pain button and it helped me sleep. Slept in spurts and then had to pee. I had no catheter. In the morning I walked with PT a few times. I actually felt great. Was home by that afternoon. The first night at home was rough. More pain, threw up but still no regrets. I've had one day since surgery where I plain felt sorry for myself. Never regretted it though. Never got that gas that many get. I was lucky!

I'm 6 days out. I was surprised at how awful I felt while I was in the hospital. I couldn't get enough fluids in to leave so I had to stay an extra night.

Oddly, I had no pain and only Tylenol while in the hospital. That wasn't the issue. It was nausea. And dry heaving and just not being comfortable.

I'm home now and settling in. I'm down 15 pounds already and barley remember the misery of my first few days.

I am beyond happy I had the surgery- absolutely worth the initial feelings the first few days.

Many patients have nausea after general anesthesia, which is not necessarily due to WLS. I'm fortunate that I'm not one of those people.

I think on the Internet in general that more people post negative experiences than positive ones, which can skew your perception on what might occur post-WLS. I had no nausea and minimal pain & gas after Gastric Bypass, as well as no complications. Wishing you the same!

Dealing with the clear diet, puréed food, etc. was a drag as I got bored with the choices but it was a short period of time and so worth it in the long run. Hang in there and know things will get better each day!

Well, I go in on Tuesday. I'm terrified but not for reasons I was before. Can anyone give me tips/how they felt waking up? I'm nervous because I'm seeing a lot of people are either regretting it, or just plain miserable with pain and serious complications. I'm considered low risk if that has anything to do with complications afterwards..

You may get lucky and be like alot of us. I had nothing afterwards. I didn't even need tylenol in the hospital. When I woke up, I started walking and my first lap was actually 6, the next time I walked it was 10.. The only issue I had was 1 stubborn gas bubble under my shoulder blade. It left after a week.
Hopefully your surgery & recovery will be a breeze as well. Good luck.

I just had the horrible gas pains. But when I first woke up I was on a pain pump but my heart rate would go down to 40 on the pain meds so the oxygen sensor would beep and it would scare me bc I was at the other end of the hall from the desk and the nurses didn't always come when it alarmed. So post op and paranoid and not wanting to die I refused to use it. The next day they put me on oral meds and that was fine with me. I do have a low hr when I take meds like that. A few years ago was in the hospital with a PE my grandma died in wks prior my grandpa died the day before and I had to be admitted and miss his funeral the next day and I was a hot mess of anxiety they gave me ativan and my hr was like 32 asleep they had a cardiologist see me. I'm just now sensitive that some people to narcotics. But you'll do great, sip- walk - rest.

HW: 280
SW: 231
CW: 203
GW: 140
Sleeved 5/31/17