Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blessed be the chili

I just endured one of the hardest weeks since my surgery. Week 3 has been hard. The constant nausea, the Constipation, the stall, the constant disgusting taste in my mouth.. You name it. I felt hlrrible, discouraged, upset, depressed...

And then, last night, I made chili.

I swear this chili made my soul return to my body. Not only was I able to eat a lot more, but it also sat in my pouch quite nicely without causing me any pain or discomfort. I was even able to sleep better because of it. So, if you are struggling to get Protein or any type of food in and keep it down, I could not recommend chili enough!

I'm five weeks out and just made turkey chili this morning for the first time (since surgery)! It was wonderful and satisfying.

Would love a good chilli recipe if anybody cares to share?

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

Mine was super simple. Brown 1lb of ground turkey. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can undrained red Beans, and 1 packet of McCormick mild chili season. Mix all together, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes (or longer for more flavor). That's it.

Mine was super simple. Brown 1lb of ground turkey. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can undrained red Beans, and 1 packet of McCormick mild chili season. Mix all together, lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes (or longer for more flavor). That's it.

Super, thanks.

1 hour ago, njgal said:

Would love a good chilli recipe if anybody cares to share?

We usually just do ground beef and chili seasoning now. Some of the chili powders are just overkill on the taste. We used to do kidney Beans, and while the Fiber is nice, the carbs is just overkill. Some people like other stuff like onions, peppers, etc.. I hate all those, which is why I tend not to buy the store brand chili's (at least in Canada -- I dig Hormel Chili No Beans/Turkey No Beans and Armour Chili when I go back to the US every now and then).

We usually just do ground beef and chili seasoning now. Some of the chili powders are just overkill on the taste. We used to do kidney Beans, and while the fiber is nice, the carbs is just overkill. Some people like other stuff like onions, peppers, etc.. I hate all those, which is why I tend not to buy the store brand chili's (at least in Canada -- I dig Hormel Chili No Beans/Turkey No Beans and Armour Chili when I go back to the US every now and then).

Which seasoning do you use?

The chili seasoning can be harsh. Maybe use half a packet to start...

The chili seasoning can be harsh. Maybe use half a packet to start...

Thanks... I'm pre-op so I'll experiment now so I know for later.

I just endured one of the hardest weeks since my surgery. Week 3 has been hard. The constant nausea, the Constipation, the stall, the constant disgusting taste in my mouth.. You name it. I felt hlrrible, discouraged, upset, depressed...
And then, last night, I made chili.
I swear this chili made my soul return to my body. Not only was I able to eat a lot more, but it also sat in my pouch quite nicely without causing me any pain or discomfort. I was even able to sleep better because of it. So, if you are struggling to get Protein or any type of food in and keep it down, I could not recommend chili enough!

Not that I want you to feel bad but its assuring to know that I'm not the only one at 3 weeks that's still having issues. Pretty much everything I eat still "stabs me in the stomach" like every 30 seconds for awhile after. Sometimes even after a half hr the Water will feel stabbing as well. And every time I eat I get this little loud hiccup (embarrasing). I'm not eating a ton, like a string cheese or 3 oz meat. I wake up nauseated. Mt stomach makes all kinds of word and loud noises also. We've been trying to walk at the parks and I get weak so quickly. We did 1.7 miles today at my slow pace and barely thought I could get through it. I felt bad because my husband wanted to do anther trail and I'm like to exhausted and had to go home. I can say the lower abdomen muscle pain is better this week. But I'm also at a stall but not too worried, just can't wait to feel normal again.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I absolutely understand. I was experiencing the exact same thing you are experiencing and I swear, that chili made all the difference. I am not nauseous anymore, and when I start feeling like my stomach is unhappy all I do is put a little bit of salt in the back of my hand and just lick it and that gets rid of any funny feelings. Try it! It might work!

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

18 minutes ago, hmills653 said:

a string cheese or 3 oz meat.

You are only 3 eeeks out, right? This is way too much/heavy for 3 weeks out. How about split pea Soup and the like?

I'm 3 months out and have just regained my energy for hiking.

You'll get there, just give it time..

You are only 3 eeeks out, right? This is way too much/heavy for 3 weeks out. How about split pea Soup and the like?
I'm 3 months out and have just regained my energy for hiking.
You'll get there, just give it time..

Thanks my nut made it sound like after week 2 when I start soft foods I should try to meet my Protein goal. Maybe I'll let my body decide how much and what to eat.

Sent from my SM-N920T using BariatricPal mobile app

I was meeting my Protein goal with a lot of milk, protein kefir, and liquid yogurts. I was lucky dairy wasn't an issue. If it was, Protein Shakes would have been necessary.

Introducing solids was slow and progressive. 3 ounces of soft protein at a time was happening around 6 weeks I think.