Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your favorite gym workout or routine please :)?

1 hour ago, njgal said:

I'm new to this... so I just started doing some exercises barehand... I do 10 reps once and I can't feel my arms for a few minutes afterwards... I'm supposed to do this 4-6 times back to back? (Not ready to add weights to it just yet)

H 5'6" HW 253, CW 245, TBS 9/19

Yep. I typically do 4 sets consisting of 8 to 12 repetitions.

You complete 10 reps, rest anywhere from 30 to 120 seconds, complete another 10 reps, then rinse and repeat a few more times.

Yep. I typically do 4 sets consisting of 8 to 12 repetitions.
You complete 10 reps, rest anywhere from 30 to 120 seconds, complete another 10 reps, then rinse and repeat a few more times.

Thank you. I will try that out.

I'm new to this... so I just started doing some exercises barehand... I do 10 reps once and I can't feel my arms for a few minutes afterwards... I'm supposed to do this 4-6 times back to back? (Not ready to add weights to it just yet)

The heavier the weight, the longer you rest between sets. For the amount you'll be lifting for hypertrophy, around 60 seconds is good.

The most important thing, however, is that you increase the weight when you are able. Each week, try to lift a little more. It's called progressive overload.

Check out a website called "A Workout Routine"

The heavier the weight, the longer you rest between sets. For the amount you'll be lifting for hypertrophy, around 60 seconds is good.

The most important thing, however, is that you increase the weight when you are able. Each week, try to lift a little more. It's called progressive overload.

Check out a website called "A Workout Routine"

Wow... i don't remember the last time I wanted to forego sleep to catch up on some reading but this is such a great site. His recommendations on workout are great but his take on nutrition really resonated with me too. Fascinating read, thank you very much for sharing.

This is a cool thread! I typically do some toning/ lifting type stuff on the total gym. I've had good luck finding videos online for that thing. I also do 20 - 40 minutes on the treadmill.

Today, I added in some crunches while my 5yo stood over me shouting "go, mommy, go!" It was both cute and motivational.

Some of my special considerations include:

Hyper-extension if I'm not careful, this is why I like the total gym as opposed to free weights.

Flat feet - I bought some great sneakers online (brand name "vionic") with built in arch supports.

Motivation - I used to put on a show while on the treadmill to keep myself occupied, but lately have switched to music and have found that I can walk and shake my butt at the same time to some old school Dr Dre.

I used to work out years ago, first with a personal trainer to show me what to do and what to work on. He put me through a machine weight cycle, and I learned the basics.

Years later, and post op, when I get my energy back and was cleared by my nutritionist to start weight training (at six weeks), I started doing the things I did years ago. Most exercises I do 3 sets of 10, upper and lower body, and I weight train twice a week. There are a few exercises where I do 4 or more sets, usually my lower body, because my legs take need more and they respond a lot faster than my upper. But I do more upper body exercises than lower, since I have severe knee issues and can't do very many lower body exercises that I used to do (leg curls, leg extensions, squats) Those exercises can be counterproductive for certain knee issues, especially severe issues.

I also do cardio 5 days a week. When I started weight training again, I kept the weights at the same for a few weeks, to reintroduce my body to weight training again. One rule I have learned as far as increasing weight is, if I can do all of my sets with no struggle, it's time to increase. It also depends on what the increase is. If it's 5 lbs, I will increase it as soon as I'm no longer struggling with the number of sets I do. If it's 10 lbs, I may wait one week, then try all of my sets at the next weight level. The leg press exercise I do increases 20 lbs at a time. So, especially with my knee issues, I will wait for at least 2 weeks before I increase the weight. It's a balance of strengthening the muscles around my knees without causing more issues.

I just wanted to give you different ideas about weight training, so you don't feel like you have to do 4 sets of every exercise. You can start off with 2 sets of 8 or 3 sets of 12. It's really up to you. I also am using machines as opposed to free weights. So know you can do that also. And one of my treats after every work out is to go into the dry sauna and stretch and loosen those muscles up before I leave. That's my reward for getting out of the house and working out. I love to work out. [emoji2][emoji41][emoji854][emoji4]

Ok... new question for all you experienced folk; i don't go to the gym, i work out at home and not yet with weights... no machine either (for weight training I mean)... I'm telling you all this because I feel like the resting periods recommended in between sets seems to be geared more toward the dude with the heavy weights at the gym. I mean I feel silly lifting my arms up for an exercise and then just standing around for a minute or two to rest... anybody have any good routines that can be done without machines?

2 minutes ago, njgal said:

Ok... new question for all you experienced folk; i don't go to the gym, i work out at home and not yet with weights... no machine either (for weight training I mean)... I'm telling you all this because I feel like the resting periods recommended in between sets seems to be geared more toward the dude with the heavy weights at the gym. I mean I feel silly lifting my arms up for an exercise and then just standing around for a minute or two to rest... anybody have any good routines that can be done without machines?

I'm a 118-pound female who rests 1 minute between sets. Then again, I lift as heavy as I can since progressive overload is the only way to build muscle.

A full body workout that can be done without machines or weights:

1. Walking lunges - 3 to 5 sets of 20 repetitions (body weight)

2. Squats - 3 to 5 sets of 20 repetitions (body weight)

3. Deadlifts - 3 to 5 sets of 15 repetitions (body weight)

4. Push-ups - 5 sets of 5 repetitions (body weight)

5. Calf raises - 3 sets of 15 repetitions (body weight)

6. Crunches - 3 sets of 25 repetitions (body weight)

7. Planks - 3 sets of holding the pose for 60 seconds (body weight)

16 minutes ago, Introversion said:

I'm a 118-pound female who rests 1 minute between sets. Then again, I lift as heavy as I can since progressive overload is the only way to build muscle.

A full body workout that can be done without machines or weights:

1. Walking lunges - 3 to 5 sets of 20 repetitions (body weight)

2. Squats - 3 to 5 sets of 20 repetitions (body weight)

3. Deadlifts - 3 to 5 sets of 15 repetitions (body weight)

4. Push-ups - 5 sets of 5 repetitions (body weight)

5. Calf raises - 3 sets of 15 repetitions (body weight)

6. Crunches - 3 sets of 25 repetitions (body weight)

7. Planks - 3 sets of holding the pose for 60 seconds (body weight)

Awesome, thank you very much!

On 6/13/2017 at 2:02 AM, HB76356 said:

I lost a lot of muscle since the surgery so I started back with Stronglifts. It's a pretty basic strength program and they have an app to track your workout. I do that MWF and go to boxing Tues and Thurs. I take weekends off.

Also, when you start with the weights don't be surprised about a small weight gain. Like a pound or too.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using BariatricPal mobile app

I can relate to the muscle loss. Please share the name of the app. I'd like to ty it. TIA

Thank you all so much for your wonderful input! Definitely some great advise. love this thread! hope it keeps going.

I personally love leg day if I am not crawling out of the gym because I can't stand it wasn't a good gym day. But anything arms and shoulders. Also if your trying to find a starting point I went with in the beginning with a % of my body weight and if that as still to much I would cut 5% off and go from there don't over do it in the begining