Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a 47 yo man who had lap band placed in Mexico in 2014. My insurance did not cover such surgeries at that time. I had many complications over the years with my lap band and got very little support once I left Mexico. In november of 2016 i had finally had enough of dealing with the complications. I went to a local batriatric doctor who removed my lap band due to 95 % blockage due to slippage of the band and using a band that was too small. I explained prior to surgery that i did not want to gain the 100 plus pounds back that i gad lost. My doctor assured me that he would replace the band with gastric sleeve in a timely manner even if it meant finding funds from elsewhere to pay for the surgery. Removal went fine. Surgery was covered by insurance. 3 months later we sent paperwork in to my insurance company for gastric sleeve as a replacement. It and the previous removal were immediately denied. I called my insurance and my doctor over a dozen times in the last 4 months. I finally found someone at the insurance company willing to find out what and why everything happened. Their explanation was that someone from my docs office had put part of my band removal paperwork in with the gastric sleeve paperwork. This was all given to a different individual to review than the person who had reviewed my removal. Since, all has been resolved and the original surgery has been covered.

Now its been 7 plus months since band removal. I have gained almost 100 lbs back and am on the verge of losing my 17 year position due to weight restrictions. I have no problem with these restrictions. They are justifiable due to my type of job. Problem is that my sleeve doctor wants me to go on a 90 day liver reducing diet. I feel like I have waited long enough and they should do the surgery immediately due to this all being their screw up. I am considering just taking the.money out of my 401k and going to.mexico again. But if I do I need a doctor that can do the surgery in the next 4 to 6 weeks. Any advice????

Edited by Johnny1313

I went to Dr. Illan and had a very good experience. Give them a call to see if they can help. His is the face advertized all over this site :)

The longest part of the process for me was getting my passport. That can take 6 weeks unless you pay for a rush.

I'm guessing you spoke to your surgeon and let him know your job is in jeopardy and that waiting could mean losing your job? Or that you've spoken to your boss and let him know surgery is in the works but they're making you wait? I'd way rather have insurance pay and by the time you get a surgeon and withdraw money it could be you're only waiting a month. What about trying your very best to do the liver shrink so you don't put on anymore weight? I know it sucks and is hard but it seems like the best option financially and to save your job.

I have told the surgeons office. They supposedly have spoken to him but I have gotten no reply. I happen to be working out of town right now so my boss has not seen me since March. I'd tell him but he just fired a guy in December for the same reason.

I have told the surgeons office. They supposedly have spoken to him but I have gotten no reply. I happen to be working out of town right now so my boss has not seen me since March. I'd tell him but he just fired a guy in December for the same reason.

I suppose you could continue to pressure your surgeon. In the meantime you could check into other, possibly faster, avenues. If it were me I would buckle down hard on my diet and at the minimum not gain. Do they weigh you at your job? That's stressful.

Insurance hoops are a PITA, if spending $5k- $6k is do-able, you (*probably) won't regret going with Dr. Illan.

Surgery was the best vacation I think I've ever had!

*probably is because everyone is so different, and every procedure. Revisions can have tougher recoveries than virgin procedures.. but after the first couple days things get better.

Those photos of people enjoying Tijuana after surgery are real. Many of the people shown are family of the patients, but it's the real deal! It's hard to tell which had surgery and which didn't!

1 hour ago, Johnny1313 said:

my sleeve doctor wants me to go on a 90 day liver reducing diet

Is it possible to go to a different surgeon that is covered by your insurance? 90 days is ridiculous. My surgeon required exactly 1 day of a liver reducing diet, and that was the day before surgery.

If you have to lose weight and fast, you could try a liquid diet, but I was absolutely miserable when I had to do this for 2 weeks post-op, plus it is not sustainable and when you go back to solids you will gain weight, but if it was a deal where I HAD to lose weight in a short time-frame or I would lose my job I would do it. A more sustainable weight-loss program would be Keto, but it may take a bit to kick in. Please let us know what is going on.

Im trying to diet but it isnt easy 2hen you are living out of a hotel room. I have decided to give the local doc until friday for a response. If no response i will seek answers elsewhere. Probably will be mexico bound as i do not wabt to wait any longer.

I just filled out the questionaire for dr illian

Awesome. I almost went with them but ended up being covered at the last minute. Bill is super helpful. Good luck and keep us posted!

@Johnny1313

Did I read correctly that you gained 100 pounds in 7 months? Or had you been putting this weight on for a while?

If you put this weight on all in 7 months, then I suggest that you work with a psychologist before you think about moving forward with additional surgery. Embracing the lifestyle changes that you have to make is necessary for long-term success. Without that, you'll likely just end right back in the same position later on.

Good luck!

I dont n4ed to see a psychologist, i just love to eat. I Iived with my lap band for over 2 years and was able to stick to that lifestyle change, and im sure ill be able to stick to anothet one. People often asked me if i miswed eating certwin foods or larger amountd. My answer was always yes i do, but id much rsther be at a healthy weight and abke to do physical things than to eat a whole pizza at one sitting.

I guess seeing as this was only supposed to be a 4 month turn around between surgeries i really took advantqge of being able to eat anytjing and everything. I got down to 171 with the lapband, the more blockage i experienced the more liquids i took in to compensate for missing meals, in fact the last 4 months i ate only 4 sit down meals, the rest consisted of liquids, including chocolate milk and Protein Shakes. I put about 25 lbs on just from them. Ill have no problem adjusting, i want to get bavk to 170 again.

Today, i located the funds to pay for surgery, spoke to Bill, filled out the questionaire, requested fmla paperwork as a back up, found out what i need to do to get short term disability, and am now waiting on a decision. I also hesrd from the other doctors office. They told me that they think they would not be able to get approval in such a short time. I myself have already checked what it takes to get approved for any bariatric surgery, I have to have 2 of 4 different factors of which i have 2. High BP and a bmi of 45 or above. I feel like they have dropped the ball and given me even less support than i recieved when i had the lap band placed. Not one time in 7 months has anyone called and asked me how I was nor have they callef to help me resolve the insurance issues. I did all of that on my own. Im now Mexico bound as soon as I get a date and approval.