Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do I feel suicidal ?

Had sleeve May 2 , 2017

why do I feel so suicidal? I'm so regretting this surgery.

This surgery can really mess with your hormones and state of mind in the beginning. You are in the hardest stage right now but it does get easier to adjust please hold fast. I would recommend calling someone or perhaps setting an appointment up with psyche. Some sort of counseling so you don't have to face this alone.

SW: 328
CW: 256
GW: 150
Surgery date: January 12, 2017

Suicidal thoughts and actions are surprisingly common post-surgery for a variety of reasons. (http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/news/20151007/suicide-risk-may-rise-for-some-after-weight-loss-surgery#1)

What you are going through is common, but you don't/shouldn't have to suffer through it alone without support. PLEASE reach out for help, either to your clinic psychologist if you have one, or to a suicide hotline if you don't. Here's a list of numbers that includes many countries and states. http://www.yourlifecounts.org/need-help/crisis-lines

Had sleeve May 2 , 2017

I suggest you call your surgeon office and they should be able to direct you. How are you feeling suicidal? R u planning harming yourself in some particular way? R u spiritual?

@Rita48 yes I'm spiritual! But can't shake of this feeling . It controls My mind . I have scheduled a visit with the therapist.

@NixNichi how far are you ? Does it go away ?

@Mucheca I am about 4 months post op still on soft foods. Once you start seeing results and get out of at least the liquid phase you should start to feel better. Right now your still recovering from surgery trauma and not getting a ton of nutrition. It's a very low energy phase to be in. Make sure you are getting in your Water and protien (And vitamins) as they are good for healing.

{Hugs} It WILL get better! In another month, you'll be eating regular food, and wondering why you felt so down. Do you have family or a support system? Now would be a good time to try to get out of the house, get some fresh air and a new perspective.

If you are seriously contemplating self-harm, please call 911 or go to your closest emergency room.

Had sleeve May 2 , 2017

Omg I didn't feel suicidal but depression was REAL I just had a stomach ulcer (Thursday) I couldn't keep anything down I didn't know how to eat, I didn't see any results as quick as everyone else I started to regret the surgery too. HOWEVER I am approaching month 2 but I can say what helped me is learning this is a Tool!! your body goes through shock and is learning all over again. And I exercised and just got FOCUSED! What I mean by that is emotions are all over the place we learned that in the class but DON'T give UP!!!! This is just the beginning for the best days of your life!

Also please watch out for that time of the month while you recover as those emotions are UNREAL Lol (Tmi I started hardcore yesterday and literally cried for nothing it was crazy and I felt like so crazy.)

You went through a lot to have the surgery. You had the surgery for yourself, because you deserve it. Like what everyone else has said about hormones, your body recovering from MAJOR surgery, give yourself time to heal. It does get better. I'm completing 5 weeks post op, and I feel pretty darn good. Reach out to your family, tell them how you feel. Glad you are seeing your therapist. Wishing you only the best!

Had sleeve May 2 , 2017

We had our surgeries on the same day. If you ever need to talk about you're journey, I'd be happy to listen!

This might be a personal question you do not want to answer on a public forum but I'm asking so you can answer for yourself. Have you ever taken antidepressants before? Surprisingly antidepressants are fat-soluble and the sudden weightloss that comes from ketosis causes them to flood the body. And they are known to cause suicidal thoughts. By all means, please get help.

But if this is a possible contributing factor it will help to know the symptoms should taper off as the meds clear your body. But you sound like you need to be monitored.

As others have said, the changes in the hormones, and such will play with your mind if out of balance too. I am available to talk if you need someone as well. I'm 2 yrs out. It gets easier.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

@kerryd.away thank you . I'm just feel like a failure. I'm scared of the future . I hope this surgery was right decision.

@GAWildKat I have not taken any antidepressants before, but I did start taking anti anxiety medication a week ago .I'm very afraid and I don't know why. I'm losing weight and I'm not enjoying it . Before surgery I was excited and Motivated. After surgery I just crashed. I saw the therapist and I have another appointment with her soon. I've expressed to her all my worries. I hope this gets better .

Edited by Mucheca