Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had gastric bypass surgery almost four years ago and I still have issues with upset stomach and dumping syndrome. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

Sent from my SM-G930P using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm not sure but what is your diet like (proteins vs veggies vs carbs)?

I am having a difficult time trying to limit carbs, but I mainly eat Proteins and vegetables first when I do have a meal and limit the carbs to being the last thing I eat, this way I only have enough room for maybe one bite of carbs. This morning I ate a berry Trio cup from Starbucks about 3/4 of it and didn't finish it. Around an hour later I had a major upset stomach. I have also had to limit my intake of lactose because of the surgery as well. Lactose makes me super sick to my stomach now. I just feel like I am failing at eating healthy.

1 minute ago, MarinaGirl said:

If you cut out sugar and carbs do you feel fine?

Yes, I feel much better that way. However, the thing that's been worrying me lately is the sudden drops in blood sugar (my lowest has been 42), I was told it probably was too many carbs in the meal I ate. I have really gotten off track with my health lifestyle or it seems to feel that way...

It is important to understand what happens inside the body when you eat... especially carbs.

Basically, you eat a fast-absorbing carb (simple carb, like table sugar), and it hits the blood stream quickly. The sugar in your blood goes up, too high. The body sends insulin out to force the sugar into the cells, because too much sugar in the blood is dangerous, but it is safe in the cells.

But now the body might have sent too much insulin, and now your blood sugar is low. Normally adrenaline kicks in about this time to go release some sugar back into the blood. But for some people this mechanism is damaged, so the blood sugar drops and the body can't increase it on its own. So, you have to eat more carbohydrate.

The way to fix this vicious cycle is to always eat carbs with Protein and fat which slows their entry into the bloodstream, and concentrate on eating complex carbs that also enter more slowly.

This is what the glycemic index is about. The lower the #, the slower the sugars hit the bloodstream. Anyone with poor blood sugar control should only consume carbs #54 and less. (As a starting point. Individual results vary).

cdaea33152b602d1ff0a4680bfdd7627.png

It is important to understand what happens inside the body when you eat... especially carbs.
Basically, you eat a fast-absorbing carb (simple carb, like table sugar), and it hits the blood stream quickly. The sugar in your blood goes up, too high. The body sends insulin out to force the sugar into the cells, because too much sugar in the blood is dangerous, but it is safe in the cells.
But now the body might have sent too much insulin, and now your blood sugar is low. Normally adrenaline kicks in about this time to go release some sugar back into the blood. But for some people this mechanism is damaged, so the blood sugar drops and the body can't increase it on its own. So, you have to eat more carbohydrate.
The way to fix this vicious cycle is to always eat carbs with Protein and fat which slows their entry into the bloodstream, and concentrate on eating complex carbs that also enter more slowly.
This is what the glycemic index is about. The lower the #, the slower the sugars hit the bloodstream. Anyone with poor blood sugar control should only consume carbs #54 and less. (As a starting point. Individual results vary).
cdaea33152b602d1ff0a4680bfdd7627.png.322c845a6ea36c0e2c4808dbcf408d71.png

This is great info!

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:57 AM, Berry78 said:

cdaea33152b602d1ff0a4680bfdd7627.png

Sucks that watermelon is on the no-no side. Had surgery in Feb and seeing this makes me realize my 4th of July cookouts just won't be the same...sigh...oh well, guess I will have to buy more skinny clothes to compensate for missing out my watermelon :D darn my bad luck.

Well, as with everything, if you eat 1/2 of a large melon, not such a good choice, but if it is a small piece (4-6oz), I'm sure it's fine.

You can CHOOSE to eat off the higher side. Because then you know it is a food that you need to be careful of.

It's eating everything without awareness that gets you into trouble.

12 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Well, as with everything, if you eat 1/2 of a large melon, not such a good choice, but if it is a small piece (4-6oz), I'm sure it's fine.

You can CHOOSE to eat off the higher side. Because then you know it is a food that you need to be careful of.

It's eating everything without awareness that gets you into trouble.

True, but I'd just rather not risk it. I have avoided refined sugars and high sugar foods like the plague because I have no desire to experience "dumping". I have learned from others who have been through it and it was enough to hear about their suffering to avoid ever experiencing it. I can go without. Being quite the carnivore I am fine having an egg or couple strips of bacon or even a Protein Shake if I have to have a sweet flavor.

Edited by Guest
Grammatical correction

Sorry, wasn't thinking about dumping. So true...

If you slowly bring sugar into your diet it will adjust if you don't you will dump with sugar as your body hasn't learned to adapt. Not saying that you should eat sugar but it's a choice. I can eat pretty much anything except sucralose...I can have in small servings but have to be careful. I'd still dump if I had too much high sugar in one sitting but you start to realize what's high and just avoid it. A couple of bites is enough.

Just a footnote ...if I drink something high in sugar such as one of those crazy sugar filled drinks that Starbucks serves on an empty stomach I'm much more likely to dump. If I'm going have a high sugar drink it's best if I have some food in my stomach then I'm less likely to dump...have no idea why!! I'm almost 2 years post op and never dump with food it's alway a high sugar drink...such as a cooler or milkshake.

Never had much of a sweet tooth myself so avoiding sugar has not been a problem. It was carbs that got me in trouble. pizza and the like which cause me to pack on the pounds. Only sugar I can imagine liking is with alcoholic beverages, but then you add in the risk of not if but when an ulcer develops, so that's not an option anymore either.