Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time eating out and tried to be normal

This didn't go well at all for me, it was my first time eating out and I thought I could eat a mozzarella stick. I think 15 minutes later I was in the restroom vomiting cheese sorry for tmi

I was sweating profusely and was hot and everyone was eating like normal.

Oh never again and lesson learned probably avoid eating out or continue to make healthy choices.

How do you order when you're out?

What do you order?

I made a similar mistake ordering french onion Soup a couple months out. cheese that's too melty can cause major problems. However, I still like eating out. At three months post-op I can eat most things, and I like to look for restaurants that have a "light" section of their menu. I go for chicken or ground meat and fresh vegetables and tell them to leave off any rice or potatoes that might come with the entree. I usually portion off about a third of the entree to eat and take the leftovers home. I can also order a salad that has smart add-ins, but some people don't tolerate lettuce well. Earlier post-op, I tended to order cups of soup. Most importantly, I chew very thoroughly as I normally would. That way, I don't overeat or get anything stuck. I only go out once in awhile, but it is possible to make healthy choices and enjoy them!

It really depends on what stage you are on and what you can tolerate. I have never had issues with cheeses or fat.

Early on like the first 6 months.

Crab cakes

chicken quesadillas ( I just eat the meat and the cheese out, I low carbed for a long time before surgery off and on so no one cares they are used to it)

chicken salad, problem is a lot of places add sugar to it, so you have ask

After 6 month

Hot wings without breading, Lots of places have them, just make sure the sauce doesn't have sugar

Fried chicken, don't eat the skin or coating

Toppings off pizza

Steak

9 months on

Chicken Caesar Salad

Steak

It really depends on the restaurant if it is some place I have never been before I check the menu online. Don't be afraid to order you food special, places will accommodate you and you don;t have to tell them you have any specific needs. I just tell them what I want. Like I order Entrees with double veggies no starches etc.

It is pretty easy to make choices out once you are familiar with your sleeve, I never have issues finding something to eat any place I go. Even if I go some place that just sells cake. I just get coffee. :lol:

I'm 10 months out and I dine out frequently. I like to order Proteins prepared in a way I can't make at home. So I don't have a grill at home- love ordering grilled fishes and steaks. Baked or grilled chicken wings are a delicious casual bar food.

Last nite I had a grilled branzino that was wrapped in banana leaf. Soooo good.

The key to eating out is lean Protein and green vegetables. I can't even fathom eating a fried mozzarella stick.

Pretty much mirroring what everyone else is saying. I tend to order lean Proteins and veggies. I usually get something I wouldn't mind eating a second time, as the leftover has become my best friend. If i go to a steak house, steak and broccoli. If i go to an italian place, grilled chicken parm with veggies instead of Pasta, mexican, chicken or steak fajitas but just don't eat the wraps, seafood grilled fish or shrimp and something green, usually broccoli. Pub and bar food, naked wings. Breakfast joints, steak and eggs. Fast food, grilled chicken sandwich but just eat the meat, or a salad. I try not to eat fried foods in general but once in a while if your stomach can take it, its ok. I know I can handle say a chicken nugget, but my body can't handle fried fish of any kind. Good luck to you!

This didn't go well at all for me, it was my first time eating out and I thought I could eat a mozzarella stick. I think 15 minutes later I was in the restroom vomiting cheese sorry for tmi
I was sweating profusely and was hot and everyone was eating like normal.
Oh never again and lesson learned probably avoid eating out or continue to make healthy choices.
How do you order when you're out?
What do you order?

I'm not sure how far out you are... probably brand new.

In the beginning I did mostly Soups. A cup of Soup.

Mozzarella stick... no not a good idea right now. That could cause dumping and the cheese could get stuck.

Hang in there. It gets better I promise.

3 years out I can eat a whole chipotle burrito (and I do!) lol.

I stick with grilled or roasted chicken when I'm out. I can get sick from anything now, not vomiting but I get into this stage where I feel nauseous, can't catch my breath and then have to lie down and sleep for at least 30 minutes. So I only eat basic chicken when I go out. Or crab cakes. I do well with crab and chicken. Which have been my favorite foods since childhood so I'm lucky. lol!

I tend to stick to the lighter fare options that many restaurants have now. I haven't had an issue eating out, I have been able to find something pretty much anywhere. I tend to stick to chicken dishes or naked wings, salad (I have no issues with lettuce or other fresh veggies) or Soups. I also will order off the children's menu or just an appetizer when able so I dont' have a ton of left overs. I also plan ahead if I know I'm going out and might have higher carbs or lower Protein than usual I will make up for it with my other meals of the day.