Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 wks post op VGS, Hungry, Hungry and still Hungry

3 weeks post op VGS, 2 weeks post op gallbladder . This week I am hungry ALL the time. Suppose to be on pureed diet, 1/4 cup 5-6 times a day. well I realized its been more like 1/2 cup meals of what ever. Wasn't given too many specifics at 2 week post op buy NUT, other than make sure it is pureed! so as I look in my food journal there are some random items. I also notice in the evenings I am finding myself "craving" things.

I am drinking nearly 60+ oz of H2O daily. Was told not to worry about supplements/vitamin intake right now or protein/calories

No real weight loss since second surgery. Only down 22 lbs in 2 months.

I have had the regret and thoughts of what have I done since surgery but was feeling really good this past weekend. Lots of energy, did some gardening, house cleaning and other activities.

Anyone with thoughts or helpful suggestions please comment

@Chris Lee

Are you taking a PPI and antacids? There is no way you can be physically hungry at this point, it has to be acid. Your nerves in your stomach are not even reconnected.

I think it's head hunger, I've been struggling as well and also 3 weeks out.

I recognize it as head hunger and find myself thankful that I had the surgery because I know I can't give in to those cravings. Also, if you are pureeing any carb type stuff, go easy on that, it can make the cravings worse.

Good luck!! Try to distract yourself, for me the head hunger chills out if I keep myself busy.

Keeping your mind will definitely help the head hunger. Its good to know weight is going down. Other than what you mentioned should be conscious of your diet..

Carbs will only cause you to crave more carbs. That's why I can't believe mashed potatoes, oatmeal, and cream of wheat are on the pureed diet menu. For puree, make yourself some cream of broccoli Soup with Fairlife milk or something similar. You probably need something satisfying to calm the head hunger down.

I pureed canned tuna or chicken with a little Water and chik fil let sauce. Filling, full of Protein, and yummy!

Please do start counting your protein. By doing so, it will help focus your meals. Aim for 60-70g

I second the question about acid reducers. I'm on pantaloc twice daily and if I miss a dose I feel like I am FAMISHED. lying awake at night wanting to eat, which is something I didn't even do when I was fat!

if you're already tracking your food (good for you on that one btw!), then maybe now is the time to start paying attention to your Protein intake as well. your nut may have told you not to worry about it, but protein is essential for healing and it keeps you full longer too.

also, when you say "h20" do you mean plain Water, or do you mean "diet iced tea" or "water with crystal light" etc etc? because artificial sweeteners like that are known to cause food cravings in some people. if I have sugar free drinks of any kind I ALWAYS wind up snacking afterwards, often doing that bad thing where I'm going to the pantry over and over never satisfied by what I'm taking out to eat.

those three things would be my suggestions to start with.

now as to the NUMBERS side of the equation... consider the fact that you are a low BMI already. our weight loss will be slower than people with more to lose. "only" down 22 pounds in two months works out to 2.75 lbs a week on average. that's REALLY not that bad of a weight loss, especially for someone with a BMI of 33. adjust your expectations a little! whenever I'm mad about the scale not moving I remind myself "when's the last time I lost 3 lbs a week for two months straight on Weight Watchers (my pre-surgery diet of choice)" OH YEAH, NEVER. that NEVER EVER HAPPENED. I think the dazzling successes we see with weight loss surgery can make us a little greedy and 'NOW NOW NOW' rather than remembering what things were like before and how much better we're doing now than we ever did then. compare yourself to yourself and leave everyone else's numbers out of it.

also, since you're three weeks out, I will remind you that "the 3 week stall" is infamous for a reason. don't let it psyche you out or get you down. plateaus are a natural, healthy part of the process. just keep on chugging, and one day the scale will move.

2 hours ago, teacupnosaucer said:

also, since you're three weeks out, I will remind you that "the 3 week stall" is infamou

I am 3 weeks out too and experienced the stall, but my inches were dropping.... It is really important to eat Protein first, and at this point we really should only have room for protein. Try to get in at least 80gm of protein before eating anything else. My surgeon allows NO CARBS! Hey, we never ate them we were dieting before, right! The suggestions below are the only thing we are suppose to eat during puree.

Suggestions: low fat greek yogurt of light greek yogurt, (lemon, vanilla, plain) watch sugar content, low fat cottage cheese- (whipped or small curd) scrambled egg whites, pureed chicken, turkey, tuna fish, salmon or canned chicken ( add fat free mayo or greek yogurt to make easy to digest, fat free of skim ricotta cheese-add Tomato sauce or sweeten with cinnamon and splenda), low fat hummus, pureed black Beans or fat free refried beans, laughing cow light cheese wedges.

If you eat these, even with a 1/2 cup three times a day, I think you will be fine. I also agree are you taking an anti-acid. If I forget I know because I feel hungry, but its not hunger, its acid. Pepcid complete is what I take twice a day.

Thank you everyone who comment. No I am not taking an antacid as I was told not to since I had my gallbladder out 5 days post-op. I will look at some tomorrow.

I have now gained 5lbs since posting the first thread of being Hungry..

I only drink plain Water or with a wedge of lemon. I can not tolerate artificial sweeteners (never could due to IBS)

I am not a meat eater prior to surgery but trying to do some such as tuna, and chicken. Tuna is settling but the chicken pureed is not! 60-80gm of Protein seems impossible! I have had cottage cheese and ricotta.

Thanks again for all the assistance, I pray things improve!

Milk, if you can tolerate it, helps with acid, Fluid, and Protein, all at the same time. I drank a bunch of it the first month. There is a protein kefir that has 40g in a 16oz bottle... That will get you over halfway to goal right there!

ProteinKefir_900.jpg

Milk, if you can tolerate it, helps with acid, Fluid, and Protein, all at the same time. I drank a bunch of it the first month. There is a protein kefir that has 40g in a 16oz bottle... That will get you over halfway to goal right there!
ProteinKefir_900.jpg.1b0f3d0c92bcc76e674a7ef25e83cb6c.jpg

Does it taste good? What's the consistency/thickness?

Well, it is kinda thick like a thinnish milkshake. The taste is a bit strong, but even though I wouldn't have liked it preop, its ok now. I've had the berry and banana. The banana is better. It takes a while to drink, but so does everything! Lol. I think of it like strong yogurt.