Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best low-impact post-op exercise?

I am looking to purchase a treadmill, exercise bike, or elliptical to use post-op. Ideally, I would like to own an elliptical long-term, however, I am concerned that it may be too "bouncy" post-op with nausea, etc. (I've read several accounts of folks who experience nausea for many weeks post-op). For those of you who have been sleeved, what was your preference?

1 minute ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Walking.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks.

Walking outside for a variety of reason but when you are walk in a real environment, you use more muscles and you have to adapt more. Working out in a gym is artificial activity to mimic real activity because people do not get real activity anymore.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/the-benefits-of-exercising-outdoors/

You stride differently when running outdoors, for one thing. Generally, studies find, people flex their ankles more when they run outside. They also, at least occasionally, run downhill, a movement that isn’t easily done on a treadmill and that stresses muscles differently than running on flat or uphill terrain. Outdoor exercise tends, too, to be more strenuous than the indoor version. In studies comparing the exertion of running on a treadmill and the exertion of running outside, treadmill runners expended less energy to cover the same distance as those striding across the ground outside, primarily because indoor exercisers face no wind resistance or changes in terrain, no matter how subtle

But there seem to be other, more ineffable advantages to getting outside to work out. In a number of recent studies, volunteers have been asked to go for two walks for the same time or distance — one inside, usually on a treadmill or around a track, the other outdoors. In virtually all of the studies, the volunteers reported enjoying the outside activity more and, on subsequent psychological tests, scored significantly higher on measures of vitality, enthusiasm, pleasure and self-esteem and lower on tension, depression and fatigue after they walked outside.

21 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Walking outside for a variety of reason but when you are walk in a real environment, you use more muscles and you have to adapt more. Working out in a gym is artificial activity to mimic real activity because people do not get real activity anymore.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/the-benefits-of-exercising-outdoors/

I do prefer walking outdoors for those same reasons. However, from a practical standpoint, I know there will be times, due to scheduling, weather, daylight, etc., when that will not be feasible. From past experience, if I have a treadmill/elliptical at home, I will use it when walking outside is not an option. My treadmill/elliptical will essentially be a backup plan.

walk walk walk walk walk walk walk. lol! Walking is the optimum exercise. Honestly, besides toning muscles through weight exercises walking is all I've done. I mean, I jog sometimes but that's just for fun. lol! Seriously, now I just jog for fun. Like, how insane is that????

I started on the elliptical 2 weeks post op. I did have some nausea post op but I don't think it was related to the elliptical (yes, it may have made it a little worse). It was either due to being on a liquid diet or my lack of eating Breakfast. I'm not sure which. But if you're looking for low impact I think the elliptical is a good choice. I've had chronic foot and ankle issues for a while now and the elliptical and bike is really the only thing I can do that doesn't hurt. Honestly even regular walking hurts most days. But I'm fine at the gym as long as I stay away from the treadmill. Lol

1 hour ago, LittleLizzieLilliput said:

walk walk walk walk walk walk walk. lol! Walking is the optimum exercise. Honestly, besides toning muscles through weight exercises walking is all I've done. I mean, I jog sometimes but that's just for fun. lol! Seriously, now I just jog for fun. Like, how insane is that????

27 minutes ago, Jess55 said:

I started on the elliptical 2 weeks post op. I did have some nausea post op but I don't think it was related to the elliptical (yes, it may have made it a little worse). It was either due to being on a liquid diet or my lack of eating breakfast. I'm not sure which. But if you're looking for low impact I think the elliptical is a good choice. I've had chronic foot and ankle issues for a while now and the elliptical and bike is really the only thing I can do that doesn't hurt. Honestly even regular walking hurts most days. But I'm fine at the gym as long as I stay away from the treadmill. Lol

Thank you both for your input!