Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night Eating Syndrome

I have experienced night eating syndrome since I started college in 1997, I attribute it to stress. It has been a hinderance in losing weight and it hasn't changed since my sleeve in May 2015. I was wondering if anyone has or currently experienced night eating. If so I would love to talk with you!

Thanks,

Jessica

Cinpep this has been an issue for me too but I've really had to be disciplined with myself to break this habit. You can always try this is small steps. Say if you eat up to 10pm try to stop at 9.30. Do it 30mins at a time. It will be hard but will be worth the effort.

I have always wanted to eat more at night, so I put more space between my meals in the morning so that I open up more eating in the evenings.

I eat 8 times per day, starting at 10am. I put 2-2.5 hours between the first few meals, and that becomes about 1.5 hours in the late afternoon/evening. I usually end up eating the last thing around 11pm.

Today (as an example), I eat at 11am (I had a late start today due to an appointment this morning), 1pm, 3:30pm, 5pm, 6:30pm, 8pm, 9:30pm, and 11pm.

Good luck!

Question: Are you sleeping when you do this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

Sometimes I am

The times that you are not asleep you get up and go to get food and eat it right? If I sound judgemental that's not how it's meant. I was a mindless eater. I was eating without thinking that I even knew I did it. My therapist have talked it though and what she said made sense. In order to mindlessly eat I had to do several deliberate things. I had to get out of my chair or my bed. I had to walk from the living room or bedroom to the place where my food lives. Then I have to choose to go to the fridge or to the cabnet. Then I have find the food. I haven't eaten the dogs food so I did look at what I was getting. You can see where this is going. What I thought was mindless was in fact was a series of conscious choices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using BariatricPal mobile app

I too have the same issue and it was right about the same year. Of course the eating was snacking on things that weren't good for me and thus the weight gain came. I don't think it is conscious until after you grab the snack or food. I would wake up repeatedly during the nights, so I thought well I will stop buying Snacks and so therefore the issue will go away. It did for awhile after I cut out all sweets and breads. But, over the years I went back to buying sweets, but in less moderation. It is psychological, because its like my mind or body know there is something in the kitchen to snack on; not sure which. Nevertheless, it has plagued me for so many years, then the last 2 years my body failed me. I was constantly tired, to the point of being physically drained. I stopped wanting to do things. I wanted to sleep late everyday and would hit the snooze button, because I was just too tired to get out of bed. I had to force myself to do things. It was very debilitating. At that point I knew something was wrong, this isn't right and I shouldn't feel like this. I decided to see a weight loss doctor, because I attributed my issues to my weight. My doctor did every test there is to give a person. I found out that my Iron, Vitamin D3 and testostorone was low. Who, would have thought low testostorone, because we attribute it to sex. So my doctor I prescribed me testostorone medication and I researched it and thought ok I have most of those symptoms. I was also put on bupropion, naltrexone and phentermine compound, which helped tremendously. I researched those as well and thought why would she prescribe this to me. I was hesitant, but gave in and told myself to trust my doctor. I thought wow I have found my cure after all these years. I had NO cravings for junk, but most of all I slept all the way through the night. I got approved for my surgery, got laxed and started back buying and eating junk food. Now the medication is no longer as effective, because my mind and body has taken back control even over the medication. I say this to say after this looooong message, that it is psychological and medication is not the cure, although, it is an aide or maybe I failed me, because I became laxed. One thing I have learned is that discipline is the key to success. I have a sleep study scheduled for May 17th and hope that once done I can get to the root of the issue, without the medication.