Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbs per day for weight loss

What amount of carbs do you loose the most weight on ? I have heard 20 gms is the ideal amount for Ketosis but I have found it nearly impossible to keep my carbs that low. I am at 60 gms daily. I continue to lose weight but I am very worried that it will stall due to that high carb amount. But 20 gms is not only not achievable but not sustainable either.

Please share your carb counts & experience.

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app

I have kept my carbs at 20 or less every day for the past 13 months. I'm not changing that until I get to my goal, and I doubt I will let them go up to much after I enter maintenance in a few months. Carbs are what got me to 400 pounds, so I have to avoid them like the plague.

I have kept my carbs at 20 or less every day for the past 13 months. I'm not changing that until I get to my goal, and I doubt I will let them go up to much after I enter maintenance in a few months. Carbs are what got me to 400 pounds, so I have to avoid them like the plague.

Do you mind giving me an example of your daily food food intake? Thanks!

1. Count net carbs, subtract the Fiber

2 If you eat meat and green veggies it is almost impossible to even hit 25 grams of carbs a day.

Less than 25 net is really good if you want to drop fast, but 60 isn't bad.

What do you eat in a day, if you are eating stuff like yogurt, just give it up

3 minutes ago, aquarius1234 said:

Do you mind giving me an example of your daily food food intake? Thanks!

Sure. I eat the same thing every day.

Meal #1: 1 scrambled egg with 2 oz chicken breast

Meal #2: 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

Meal #3: 3 oz chicken breast, 1 string cheese, 5 ParmCrisps

Meal #4: 3 oz salmon with 1 oz green Beans

Meal #5: 2 oz hamburger steak (90% lean) with 1 oz green beans

Meal #6: 3 oz chicken breast with 1 oz green beans

Meal #7: 2 oz chicken breast with 1 string cheese

Meal #8: 4 oz of cottage cheese with 1 T sugar-free strawberry preserves

I drink 32 oz of Water after Meal #1 and again after Meal #2. I drink 16 oz of water after Meal #3. I drink 16 oz of Powerade Zero after Meal #5, and 8 oz water mixed with 8 oz of PowerAde Zero after Meal #8. (I give the 30 minutes before and after meals as well.)

This comes out to 1200-1300 calories per day, 20 carbs per day, and 120-130 grams of Protein per day.

Meal #4: 3 oz salmon with 1 oz green beans
I drink 32 oz of Water after Meal #1 and again after Meal #2. I drink 16 oz of water after Meal #3. I drink 16 oz of Powerade Zero after Meal #5, and 8 oz water mixed with 8 oz of PowerAde Zero after Meal #8. (I give the 30 minutes before and after meals as well.)
This comes out to 1200-1300 calories per day, 20 carbs per day, and 120-130 grams of Protein per day.

Thank you!!

Thank you!!

Thank you for that example.

That sounds like it would be difficult.

Then again, I have not had the surgery yet.

Do you spend a lot of time meal prepping?

How much total weight have you lost?

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

Thank you!!

Thank you!!

5 minutes ago, Walter.Sobchak said:

Thank you for that example.

That sounds like it would be difficult.

Then again, I have not had the surgery yet.

Do you spend a lot of time meal prepping?

How much total weight have you lost?

I've been following this same way of eating since I finished the food stages at 2 months post-op. I have upped the meat amounts from 2-3 oz over the course of those 5 months, and raised my calories from 900 to 1200-1300. I have always kept the carbs at 20 or below.

I cook a week's worth of chicken on Sundays and use that all week. I do the same thing with the green Beans. Everything else, I cook as I need it. It is routine now, and just how I live my life.

I have lost 193 pounds so far (99 pounds during my six month pre-op diet program, and an additional 94 pounds since my surgery on September 28, 2016). I am just a little over 20 pounds away from goal.

Edited by blizair09
typo

I've been following this same way of eating since I finished the food stages at 2 months post-op. I have upped the meat amounts from 2-3 oz over the course of those 5 months, and raised my calories from 900 to 1200-1300. I have always kept the carbs at 20 or below.
I cook a week's worth of chicken on Sundays and use that all week. I do the same thing with the green Beans. Everything else, I cook as I need it. It is routine now, and just how I live my life.
I have lost 193 pounds so far (99 pounds during my six month pre-op diet program, and an additional 94 pounds since my surgery on September 28, 2016). I am just a little over 20 pounds away from goal.

Wow, that's pretty awesome.
That is impressive that you have been so strict.
Keep up the good work.

I keep mine under 25 a day as well and I don't feel it's restricted at all. I still eat tortillas (carb friendly 4 net carbs), nuts (almonds and pistachios), yogurt (dannon light and fit is only 8 carbs), cheese, strawberries (1/4 cup). I don't eat bread, Pasta, or rice and I never will again. Don't miss them at all anymore. I eat so much food that I don't feel deprived. I eat turkey bacon, avocados, eggs, Greek grilled chicken and tzatziki sauce, tuna patty (instead of bread crumbs add in Pork rinds and bake instead of fry), grilled mahi mahi and squash are some of my favorites. I drink Water everyday and don't miss soda or anything. I mix it up every day to keep things exciting. I do meal prep because I want to stay on my diet and be prepared. I find that when I don't have a plan or schedule that's when fast food or unhealthy options start looking good and I'm not going down that path again.

I keep mine under 25 a day as well and I don't feel it's restricted at all. I still eat tortillas (carb friendly 4 net carbs), nuts (almonds and pistachios), yogurt (dannon light and fit is only 8 carbs), cheese, strawberries (1/4 cup). I don't eat bread, Pasta, or rice and I never will again. Don't miss them at all anymore. I eat so much food that I don't feel deprived. I eat turkey bacon, avocados, eggs, Greek grilled chicken and tzatziki sauce, tuna patty (instead of bread crumbs add in Pork rinds and bake instead of fry), grilled mahi mahi and squash are some of my favorites. I drink Water everyday and don't miss soda or anything. I mix it up every day to keep things exciting. I do meal prep because I want to stay on my diet and be prepared. I find that when I don't have a plan or schedule that's when fast food or unhealthy options start looking good and I'm not going down that path again.

Awesome.
Thank you for the input and ideas.

Blizair09 wow you are too discplined. I may unfriend you. Lol. [emoji12] [emoji12]
Seriously though congrats. I just cannot do it that low. I have lost 40 lbs in the past 11 weeks but have 90 more lbs to go !!!!

Sent from my SM-G920P using BariatricPal mobile app