still yet to decide

16 posts in this topic

chaos please do.

berry, That would be an option but as a teacher my insurance can change yearly what is covered this year may not be next.

My wife had a DS 12 years ago and I had a VSG 6 years ago. She started out at a mid 60's BMI and I was a near 50. During her pre-op period of trying to get insurance to cooperate (it was still "investigational" then) and we did the semi-typical insurance 6 month diet/exercise program, I lost around 50lb - about 1/3 of my excess weight - and subsequently kept it off for a number of years (settling out around a 40-41 BMI. Once we got her on the table, and into the losing phase, I felt I was too low to go for the DS, and still had some prospect of maybe losing some more on my own. Ultimately, I maintained what I had lost and when our insurance started covering the VSG, I went for it. Had I regained what I had lost, as often/usually happens, I would have gone for the DS as that would have shown me that I needed its better regain resistance.

A few things that I have picked up over the years in DS-land:

A 2-step DS is a good option for those who are too ill to withstand the longer 1-step procedure. As a "plan B" option in the event of regain it is less satisfactory. Discussing this with our surgeon, his experience has been that the second step works best if it is done before any substantial regain is experienced - the weight loss after revision is usually less than what would have been experienced with a "virgin" DS. There is a general characterization that is sometimes used that "the sleeve loses your weight, while the switch keeps it off." That may not be entirely correct, but it's probably an 80/20 thing.

Another consideration is that the DS is usually performed with a larger version of the sleeve than the VSG, so the restriction is a little less than the VSG, offset for weight loss purposes by the malabsorption. This also means that reflux problems that are a not unusual problem with the VSG is less common with the DS.

These above considerations really tend to push one toward an either/or decision, rather than a more casual approach of "I'll go with the VSG and the DS is always there if that doesn't work out."

We often see threads here about VSG vs. RNY or DS, and it is common for thsoe who decided on the VSG to state that they didn't want their guts rearranged, etc., which is a fair perspective - who does? But we all got comfortable with the idea of removing 80% of our stomach, which many consider a radical step. Fact of the matter is that some people need a malabsorbing procedure to get that job done. In my mind, the more one is inclined toward yo-yo weight patterns and increasing weight over time, the more appropriate the DS becomes over the VSG (and RNY, for that matter.) Indeed, some who fit that pattern do succeed long term with the VSG, but it's more of a long shot; OTOH, I see several 10-15 year DSers every month at our support group who continue to maintain well (and wake up every morning with one!)

Berry78 likes this 1 Like this

@RickM Thank you so much for your opinion. You were able to put the reason I am leaning towards DS in a very concise and precise manner thank you

Posted (edited)

@pittsHere is the link to the site I was telling you about, there are a lot of videos so you have to scroll down to the Weight Loss Surgical videos, there are separate ones for each surgery. The first one, "part one" explains the normal anatomy. I like the explanations he gave, and he's just so darn cute with his little bow tie, lol.

https://www.dssurgery.com/resources/videos/

Edited by ChaosUnlimited
Redmaxx likes this 1 Like this

Hello I am new here. Had my bypass in Jan. 2017. I have trouble with feeling hungry all the time. Also some days I just can't hardly eat anything. Anyone else have these issues? Thank you!

3 hours ago, charsarie said:

Hello I am new here. Had my bypass in Jan. 2017. I have trouble with feeling hungry all the time. Also some days I just can't hardly eat anything. Anyone else have these issues? Thank you!

Hi @charsarie, welcome to the board! I noticed that you've posted on a couple of threads about having issues with hunger but not being able to eat. I don't have any advice because I am still pre-op, but have you discussed this with your doctor or nutritionist? What types of things are you eating and how often? I believe it would help if you post this as a new topic, I think more members might see it and reply.