still yet to decide

16 posts in this topic

Hello I am in the pre-surgery process and have yet to decide which surgery to get. I am currently 373 lbs and 5'11 bmi 50+. My highest ever weight was around 400. I am considering vsg or ds(which I am leaning towards) I know surgery is a tool and requires hard work. I have done multiple diets and the yo yo effect of it. I will be having surgery this summer and just want to hear your thoughts. VSG or DS.

Hi!

I am also 5'11, my high weight was 460. I lost about 50 pre-op, and almost another 100 post op. But I plateaued and then started to regain. I had my surgery in 2012. I'm also having some complications now, I go see a surgeon tomorrow and may be revising to DS.

The sleeve was an amazing tool and it really is my fault that I didn't continue to lose with it. I fell wayyyy off post-op diet and then got pregnant. I'm currently still well below where I started at 460, but I want to lose more and since my complication will likely require surgery, I may go for DS as well so I can get back on the losing track!

I opted for sleeve initially because I felt it was the best of my options and I knew there was the option to revise to DS if needed. Personally, I would recommend starting with a sleeve as post-op DS is a bit more intense because of the malapsorptive effect it has.

pitts likes this 1 Like this

Thank you for the information. I know the malabsorption can be an issue but I don't want to have to go back under the knife for a revision.

Honestly @pitts, it seems like you have a good grasp on what you need to be successful and that is a great starting point. What is pushing you one way or the other regarding VSG vs DS?

Posted (edited)

Ds will in my opinion help me get to my gw of 200. However I hear people worried about the rearranged intestinal tract. Whilst the risk for complications are up for ds the research shows it has better long-term effects. I am trying to get feedback from those who have taken the journey before me.

Edited by pitts
Spelling

I didn't have the DS or the Sleeve but I did have a RNY. I just wanted to add my 2cents worth. You hear people state that they had the Sleeve because it is less invasive. Well I think removing 80 to 85 of your stomach seems like it is pretty invasive. I have heard of lots getting revised to the RNY because of complications from their Sleeve. Lots with acid reflux. I had lost my weight in 6 months. My lowest weight was 117#'s but I did gain 8#'s back, Health wise those 8#'s made a huge difference in how I felt. So I have maintained my 125#'s for over 3 years. I know your ?'s were which surgery should I go with. If someone said I opted for the Sleeve because of the malabsorption that is a little better to swallow than not getting the RNY because it is to invasive is another thing. I know that each of us need to investigate every WLS offered. Just do yourself a favor and look at all of the offered surgeries!! Let your DR help you decide because they have been in this for qui and know which is best for you!! Sorry for blowing up your post. Have a great day!!te awhile

Redmaxx likes this 1 Like this

Thank you so much. Rny is an option for me. But I have hear with that one the bm when feel the pain go immediately to bathroom. I teach and would hate for an accident to happen

Actually that isn't the whole truth. I think years ago it was a problem. Now I hear of it going the other way. My hubby had a Sleeve last June and he has the back door trots almost daily. Especially if he eats something that doesn't agree with him. Coff/cream to much fat almost always with sugar. Check it out.

I am still pre-op but just waiting for insurance approval now. When I started I thought the sleeve was the one I wanted because I was afraid of the malabsorption issues and about changing the way my body works by moving my intestines around. My surgeon went over all the options with me, but recommended the DS because it has the highest long term success rate and is very effective at reversing type 2 diabetes. So I researched, and researched, and researched some more. It took months, but the more I learned, the less scary the other surgeries became. I've decided on the DS because I hope to have the best long term outcome for the health conditions I currently have.

I watched some videos that a doctor at another practice did to explain all the surgeries. If I can find them again, I'll post the link if you'd like.

I'd still start with the sleeve. Ask the surgeon if you are approved for a DS whether the surgery could be a two-parter. That way you still have the DS covered, but you could change your mind after the sleeve too.