Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not loosing expected weight after sleeve surgery

I had my sleeving on 1 sep 2016, I have been loosing weight so slowly, I am 57 yrs, start wt 140 kg (310 lb) current wt 115 kg (253 lb) my goal wt is 70 kg (154 lb), I eat so little like an egg, 1 cucamber, 3 carrots, 1 low fat yogurt, 1 toast, and add skimmed milk to my tea and low fat cocoa, I drink a total of 8 glasses Water and 2 cup of tea and 1 cup cocoa, I don't excercise at all as I am depressed and have slippage of vertebrae and fibromyalgia, I am loosing the wt so slowly and after 7.5 months I have only lost 35% of my excess wt. my doctor stopped replying on my questions that I'm wondering why am I not loosing weight as sleeved people do, I have read that people who are on wheeled chair lose wt although not moving at all, I try to walk but after 10 minutes my back hurts me so much, and I rest for days moving only in the house, so my question is has anybody else lost wt so slowly, and am I going to loose wt after that till I reach the goal wt, or am I stopping. Please tell me. Thank you all.

@Basmouta

You are not eating enough. You should be eating a lot of Protein. You are not eat much and most of it is carbs. You should be eating 100 grams of protein a day with your high starting weight, at least 60 grams if you can't get 100 in. Give up the toast, yogurt, skim milk, cooca. They are useless.

Do you keep a food log? Post what you eat in a whole day.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I too have fibromyalgia and chronic pain syndrome. I'm 49 and I got my sleeve 11-15-16. I have lost 51.7 after surgery. I know the body pain but I did notice when I started this journey end of July 2016 I stopped drinking Diet Coke, eating Oreos, chips, pizza and sour cream. I changed the why I thought about food and I eat 800-1000 calories a day. I eat Greek yogurt but no bread. I know the feeling of depression but walking has help my mind and mood and now I love going to the gym. If my body aches I rest! We are all human just take this one day at a time. I had to jump start my weight lost by doing two Day liquid diet and I feel pretty good. I've lost total of 94.7 pounds so far. I look at it this way sometimes we have to change or fine tune things even if it's difficult or feels weird doing it. Keep going forward

I agree with @OutsideMatchInside... (as I often do LOL). If you are not tracking your food, that is a good starting point, then look at ways to increase your Protein. If you can't eat much, everything you put into your mouth should have value to you in terms of protein and nutrients. You have a limited amount of space in your stomach and times to eat in your day, so use them well! Eating too little (and of the wrong foods) is no more beneficial to weight loss than eating too much at times.

Are you seeing someone with regards to your depression? It's hard to accomplish ANYTHING when depression is looming over you. If you can get that under control, the rest will follow. You may need counselling or talk therapy, or to take anti-depressants, or of course a combination! Treating your depression is just as important as treating a physical ailment.

It is damn near impossible to exercise when you're depressed, but if you can get just well enough to get out there, exercise helps with the depression! (Trust me, I've been there!)

Since you have pain and mobility issues, you may need to see an exercise therapist to help you find ways to exercise that work with your body. Exercise is essential to your overall health and yes, weight loss and maintenance. You may not be able to hit the gym or join a marathon, but you can find ways to be active that work with your body and your limitations. You may need help to get there and that is okay!

Weight loss generally lasts for 18 months, so at 7.5 months it's likely you haven't stopped, however to bump yourself out of the stall you will have to make some changes. Doing that with depression is hard, though... so address the depression first!

How long post op when you went back to a 2 day liquid diet too jump start your weight loss

I did 2 day liquid diet at 5 months post op. I had to..... it wasn't hard and I thought it would be. I did it because I could feel and sense cravings coming back so I thought it wouldn't hurt and it would help me toxic myself.

Thiasmom how long ago since you tried the jump start. I did that last week and I did finally lose 1 lb.

I also had my sleeve done in September 2016 before that I had lap band I had complications with that had to get removed and I had gained half on my way back I've lost weight but the past six months I have not been able to lose no more weight I'm always hungry all the time and constantly eating that big portions but I'm still always eating something I don't know if I'm an emotional eater or what's going oni'm very frustrated because I want to lose it lose 10 to 20 more pounds

I don't understand how you don't know if you are an emotional eater or not? You are definitely anxious sounding and overeating is usually a stress release response in me, dinner after working was the worst, I ate to get rid of the stress at a horrid workplace. But I discovered I used food to mask the feelings of general anxiety. It takes a lot of self examination but get therapy if you can't figure it out on your own. We are our worst enemies, we have a lot of negative 'head talk' and need to be more loving to ourselves instead of using food. It's tough but you can do it. Keep a little notebook with you and get i the habit of writi g what happened right before you eat, what are your feelings, what is chasing you to the food? Good luck.

I'm not an emotional eater. I did not always seek out food or was drawn to food after a particularly stressful day or situation. That said I did see a therapist to make that determination. I ate good food and lots of it! Portion Control was my biggest problem. I had to get my hunger under control. I have a friend that immediately goes to food when she is alone. She started journaling when she ate. As soon as her husband and son left the house she headed to the kitchen or fast food. That seems weird to me but as an emotional eater she has to be very careful to control that behavioral response to being alone. Everyone is different. Finding your trigger will go a long way to helping you control your eating.

Thank you all for replying to me, I'm sorry but I don't know how to respond to each separately, I made some lab tests and found I have very low level of Vitamin D and hi Uric acid, am seeing my doctor tomorrow.

As for logging my food I don't eat most of the days, I know that's wrong but I just can't. I don't feel hungry or thirsty thanks God so I'm not an emotional eater anymore .

I started walking about 2 kilometers a day but slowly and stopping to lean on cars and then continuing.

I shall try the 2 days liquids only.

I hope the doctor will help me as I didn't visit him except 3 times post operation as I had an Alzheimer's mother whom I lost recently, and was only messaging him so for sure I was on the wrong track.

Thank you all and pls excuse me for the delay.

Edited by Basmouta

3 hours ago, Basmouta said:

Thank you all for replying to me, I'm sorry but I don't know how to respond to each separately, I made some lab tests and found I have very low level of Vitamin D and hi Uric acid, am seeing my doctor tomorrow.

Thanks for coming back. I'm sure your mom would want you to take care of yourself. You can't let grief and depression endanger your health.

Low Vitamin D will take away your will to live and do anything. Make sure you take your supplements and you will feel better in 2 to 3 weeks. You might get some appetite also.

You have to eat though, you can't lose weight if you aren't eating.

Of course today and for the first time I found out that I have to eat Protein and food rich in Vitamins B12, D, Calcium, so tomorrow after seeing the Dr. I will have a new regimen and start all over again as if I have just made my sleeving, I will only eat protein as tuna and salmon and drink lots of green tea hoping I could lose weight.

I shall try to walk as much as I can, try to find someone in the gym who would understand my health problems and guide me.

i wish I could get rid of my depression and pain, I take Lycra and amitriptyline for my neuropathy .

by the way my sugar level is between 80 and 260 which is so good compared to 500. I only have 20 units insulin in the morning and 10 at night plus 1metformin500 twice daily.

I wish to loose weight and hope that I would be on track the coming month and succeed.

thank you all for your caring and replies and am sorry again

Edited by Basmouta