Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preventing loose skin? Pre-op BMI 36

My current weight is 210 pounds and I'm 5'4".

My goal weight is 130 pounds. I'm 29 so I'm hoping age & being at a slightly lower weight might be on my side with this... is there anything else I can do to prevent loose skin? I'm particularly concerned with my arms and legs. I'm already planning on a MMO so the tummy area doesn't bother me. It's already beyond hope after having kids lol

Exercise? Laser treatments?

Sorry, I'm new to all this - what's an MMO?

Part of it is genetic... I have a friend with a very low bmi and pretty tenacious sagging skin and stretch marks after having children. She has never been overweight a day in her life, even pregnant. Her skin just is unfriendly. I on the other hand have been overweight my whole life. A him between 30-35 most of the time. On the few occasions I managed to drop the same 70lbs again, I have very little loose skin and my stretch marks fine and nearly invisible.
The same can be said for scarring, some people scars are more noticeable with darker pigments and more raised while others scars nearly disappear.
Obviously size and complications like infections certainly play a role too though.

Just going to have to wait and see! Good luck :)

Part of it is genetic... I have a friend with a very low bmi and pretty tenacious sagging skin and stretch marks after having children. She has never been overweight a day in her life, even pregnant. Her skin just is unfriendly. I on the other hand have been overweight my whole life. A him between 30-35 most of the time. On the few occasions I managed to drop the same 70lbs again, I have very little loose skin and my stretch marks fine and nearly invisible.
The same can be said for scarring, some people scars are more noticeable with darker pigments and more raised while others scars nearly disappear.
Obviously size and complications like infections certainly play a role too though.

Just going to have to wait and see! Good luck [emoji4]

Your friends situation is what I'm afraid of. I've gained about 60 pounds since having kids. My skin wasn't really loose considering but I got a ton of stretch marks from pregnancy. Luckily I haven't gotten anymore from this weight gain. So I'm worried about if everything else will bounce back. Getting extra plastic surgery for those would take a while to save up for.

I hope I end up like you!

1 hour ago, soccermom2 said:

Mommy Makeover emoji2.png
It's a Tummy Tuck and breast lift/augmentation.

Ahh!! That makes so much sense!! Thank you so much!!

I have a lot of loose skin already! The best thing that you can do is to work out, and to keep up with the fluids to push the fluids along! Be sure to talk to your surgeon about your fears too!

There is no way of really preventing it. It's based on your highest weight, your age, the elasticity of your skin, your genetics, where you carry the weight, how fast it comes off, etc. Strength training maaaaaayyyyyy help but I'm not really convinced on that front. (Luckily, strength training is good for you regardless so you should be doing some anyway!)

My opinion is that if it's going to be a big issue for you emotionally, there's no harm in starting saving now, and then if you get lucky and DON'T need skin removal, you know you can use it to go on a vacation or to pay off debts! :)