Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone! I'm really excited to begin here, starting my journey. I don't know where this road is going to take me, but I do know want it to lead to a six pack! Someday! My goals here on BP is to read often and make an accountability journal. I may even be so brave as to make a YouTube diary

So, to the question at hand. I have Michigan medicaid and I'm in my open enrollment period. I want to know which of the insurances is it easier to meet their requirements.

Aetna Better Health

Blue Cross Complete

Harbor Health Plan

McLaren Health Plan

Molina Health Plan (Current)

Total Health Plan

UnitedHealthcare Community Plan

I live in the Metro Detroit Area, I'll probably go through Beaumont since my PCP is through there, and I'm also attending the seminar next Wednesday hosted by Beaumont.

Thanks so much everyone!

So after a tiny bit of digging, I find that Aetna may be the best choice. Aetna no longer has a requirement for how long you've had to be morbidly obese (gods I hate even typing that word) (before it was 2 years) Like the other health insurances, there is a required pre-surgery weight loss program. But unlike the others, Aetna has the shortest. If you enter a multi-disciplinary surgical preparatory regimen like the one offered through Beaumont’s bariatric surgery program you only have to do it for 3 months before you're approved (assuming you meet all the other requirements. This is opposed to the 6-month requirements I've seen or even the 12 months that my current insurance offers. Bye, bye, Molina!

Just in case I'm going to wait until the seminar on Wednesday so That I've had a chance to talk with the surgeon. His name is Daniel Bacal. I don't know anything about him, but his picture makes him look like a straight up dad he has great bedside manners.

Edited by LadySin

I was wrong, BlueCross Complete is going to be it. Aetna Medicaid is 12 months, not 3. After consideration, I'd feel better about a 6-month wait. There aren't many hoops to jump through either. I've got a 41 BMI, the only thing they want from me is 6 months and a drug/alcohol test.

I'm in the Metro Detroit Area and will be going with Mclaren per my surgeons recommendation. I am havin Dr Pesta at Mclaren Macomb do my surgery. The program there is great, they hold your hand from start to finish and make sure you have everything you need done. All my records from the doctor, psych eval, nutritionist and everything go directly to the program coordinator and she prepares the file to send to insurance.

How far are you into the program?

Here are the requirements through Mclaren:
40 + BMI with no comorbidities
35 + with 1 or more
6 months medically supervised with no weight gain
Psych evaluation
Meeting with nutritionist

Smart, I should start logging as well. May as well start now, since it's something I'll want to do for at least the first 6 months after my surgery. I'll most likely continue even beyond.

Which surgery did you choose?

Edited by LadySin

Yes, I spoke directly to the representative with Mclaren Medicaid who looks over the cases and approves and she asked me if I am tracking my food and exercise.

I am 90% sure I'm going with the sleeve. Don't want to be bothered with the rerouting of my insides and dumping 🤢

I'm still on the fence about my surgery type. On one hand I feel like I'll need the dumping, but on another I have a long term goal of getting into some amateur weight lifting, and I'm just not sure I can when dealing with malabsorption and all that jazz.

I won't get to see my surgeon until I'm 3 months out, but I'll be sure to ask him that.

Here are the requirements through Mclaren:
40 + BMI with no comorbidities
35 + with 1 or more
6 months medically supervised with no weight gain
Psych evaluation
Meeting with nutritionist

I'm in Texas and these were my requirements with BCBS except I ended up NOT having to do any supervised anything. Got approved in a week and my surgery is on Monday.

I picked sleeve because I prefer the slower weight loss over a longer period of time because I really would like to work out and minimize the lose sagging skin as much as possible. Besides that, you know how slick people can be when people have weight loss surgery.

11 hours ago, ThickGirl5683 said:

I'm in Texas and these were my requirements with BCBS except I ended up NOT having to do any supervised anything. Got approved in a week and my surgery is on Monday.

You go girl! I couldn't imagine doing my surgery so soon. I do wish my insurance required 3 months instead of 6 though. I think 3 months would be a good time for to wrap my head around everything. Commit to lifelong changes, and start building my new wardrobe.

Ah well, I'll be able to accomplish all that in more at 6 months. I just hope my surgeon isn't in demand so I can get in quickly once my time comes.

Keep us updated ThickGirl