Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low BMI sleevers... results?

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 6:00 PM, MelissaH74 said:

Yes I only live 2hrs away so not as bad. Call the Candlewood it's $89 a night make sure you you tell them about your ships you get the discount and they also have a recliner, which they say is more comfortable to sleep in.

Hi MelissaH74,

How are you feeling? It has only been a few days since your surgery and I see your weight tracker is down a few pounds. Way to go!! I have 4 days until my surgery with Dr. Borland. Do you have any tips for me? Anything that I should ask about that maybe I would not have thought of? What kind of broth do you drank after? I am so excited to hear from you!

19 minutes ago, TX2017Sleever said:

Hi MelissaH74,

How are you feeling? It has only been a few days since your surgery and I see your weight tracker is down a few pounds. Way to go!! I have 4 days until my surgery with Dr. Borland. Do you have any tips for me? Anything that I should ask about that maybe I would not have thought of? What kind of broth do you drank after? I am so excited to hear from you!

Actually I'm feeling wonderful. and yes I just updated my weight its now 10.5lbs has me freaking out lol. First off make sure you have Gas-x stripes with you!!! They are an absolute must have the minute you come out of surgery. My hubby had to go back to the hotel to get it. If you don't have any or can't find any I suggest you leaving earlier than planned and stopping at every Walgreens and Cvs till you find it. Its truly a life saver!! I only brought sf Jello with me which was a great choice just for the flavor, and went buy some sf popsicles which turned out to be very, very nasty sweet. I purchased several cases of Core Water from Sam's Club prior to surgery and took only one bottle with me, but wish I'd have taken 2. The beef broth is also amazing but didn't have any while there. Dr Borland allowed me to have chicken Noodle Soup strained and watered down so maybe take a can of that. I will add more as I think of things. Oh get some Sonic ice the night before also.

3 hours ago, MelissaH74 said:

Actually I'm feeling wonderful. and yes I just updated my weight its now 10.5lbs has me freaking out lol. First off make sure you have Gas-x stripes with you!!! They are an absolute must have the minute you come out of surgery. My hubby had to go back to the hotel to get it. If you don't have any or can't find any I suggest you leaving earlier than planned and stopping at every Walgreens and Cvs till you find it. Its truly a life saver!! I only brought sf Jello with me which was a great choice just for the flavor, and went buy some sf popsicles which turned out to be very, very nasty sweet. I purchased several cases of Core Water from Sam's Club prior to surgery and took only one bottle with me, but wish I'd have taken 2. The beef broth is also amazing but didn't have any while there. Dr Borland allowed me to have chicken Noodle Soup strained and watered down so maybe take a can of that. I will add more as I think of things. Oh get some Sonic ice the night before also.

Over 10 pounds!! I am so excited for you, I really am! I can not wait to see you at 20. I took notes on everything you suggested. I haven't been able to find the Gas X strips so I will look at CVS and Walgreens until I do. What Vitamins did you purchase and when does he say to start them. I have spoke to the staff of Dr. B over the phone a lot and look forward to meeting him and them on Monday.

I am getting excited reading this!! My BMI is at 31-32 so this is super encouraging!! [emoji123][emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

Over 10 pounds!! I am so excited for you, I really am! I can not wait to see you at 20. I took notes on everything you suggested. I haven't been able to find the Gas X strips so I will look at CVS and Walgreens until I do. What Vitamins did you purchase and when does he say to start them. I have spoke to the staff of Dr. B over the phone a lot and look forward to meeting him and them on Monday.

Image1491582202.028445.jpg
I'm sure you will get this on Monday they gave me the green folder for my consultation. I'm hoping he starts me on Monday for my post op appointment. Image1491582294.296392.jpg
If you can't see pictures good pm me and I can email it to you.

[emoji259]M[emoji259]

I'm almost 55 years old. Been battling my weight for nearly 30 years. My BMI is 31, far lower than many who opt for this surgery, but not what I want for myself. I am so tired of this battle! I've decided to go for the surgery and I am scheduled for one week from today. No, I'm not huge, but I'm not what I want to be either. Once in the past 30 years I was at goal weight---after carrying a 50-pound backpack on my back and sleeping in the woods for 6 months while hiking the Appalachian Trail. I came home and at first even my own family didn't recognize me! I looked and felt amazing, but as soon as the trail life ended the weight came back. I am hungry every single day and I just don't like this existence. So even though there are many who think I shouldn't go for it at my size, I'm doing it. I'm tired of feeling tired, lethargic, and fat. I don't want to become my mother, who is morbidly obese and uses a scooter and oxygen tank to get around.

I'm 5'1" and busting out of a size 16. I weigh 180 and my best weight is 110. Don't know what will happen but it's got to be better than this.

Edited by Tamijo62

Well, I'm 6 day post op and I only thought I knew what hunger was. I feel like I am starving myself and it is miserable. The pain from the surgery is almost non existent so that is a positive. The day after surgery was brutal from the pain and I could not tolerate the liquid pain medicine so it was really bad. Again, fortunately the pin went away. Just left with some huge bruises and cuts on my tummy. I can drink Water and my Protein Shakes and any Clear Liquids, but they do not take the edge off at all from the hunger. I had only read that people did not want food after the surgery, but that is all I can think of. I am irritable around my family because I feel the exact same as before the surgery except that I am starving.

I have my 1 week check in with the doctor tomorrow so I will bring this to his attention and hope to hear what I can do to control my uncontrollable appetite.

Does the hunger go away??

1 hour ago, Tamijo62 said:

I'm almost 55 years old. Been battling my weight for nearly 30 years. My BMI is 31, far lower than many who opt for this surgery, but not what I want for myself. I am so tired of this battle! I've decided to go for the surgery and I am scheduled for one week from today. No, I'm not huge, but I'm not what I want to be either. Once in the past 30 years I was at goal weight---after carrying a 50-pound backpack on my back and sleeping in the woods for 6 months while hiking the Appalachian Trail. I came home and at first even my own family didn't recognize me! I looked and felt amazing, but as soon as the trail life ended the weight came back. I am hungry every single day and I just don't like this existence. So even though there are many who think I shouldn't go for it at my size, I'm doing it. I'm tired of feeling tired, lethargic, and fat. I don't want to become my mother, who is morbidly obese and uses a scooter and oxygen tank to get around.

I'm 5'1" and busting out of a size 16. I weigh 180 and my best weight is 110. Don't know what will happen but it's got to be better than this.

People have strong opinions about this, but I will tell you my personal experience. I had a BMI of 29 and I had the surgery done almost a year and a half ago. I could not lose those 50 lbs, just like you mentioned. I remembered what it was like to live in a lighter body, and I was miserable every single day, battling my weight with yo-yo dieting. I was very active, but I couldn't seem to get my eating under control. I tried every diet, sought counseling, read self help books, meditated...everything. Finally, I felt I was at the end of my rope when I learned about the sleeve. I went to Mexico a month later and had it done. Now I feel so much healthier, it is so easy to exercise (and I love doing it!), I fit into a size 4, and I don't stress about food every second of the day. Yes, it is a challenge at first, but I would do it all over again. One of the best gifts I could ever give myself! So take from my story what you will, but I don't believe people need to wait until they are morbidly obese with comorbidities to benefit from the sleeve. Another great thing is that surgery was less risky and recovery was pretty breezy because I was in pretty decent health to begin with. Good luck with your decision!

I had gastric sleeve two weeks ago today and similar to you Tamijo62,

My BMI 30. Already feeling less tortured and having to constantly think of food as was always a battle .

so far have lost 5 kg approx 10 pounds . So pleased with any loss.

good luck and happy to help support you on your journey . I also have a morbidly obese sister , who is six years older than me so was always constantly aware that I could easily follow the same path .

7 hours ago, 24601 said:

People have strong opinions about this, but I will tell you my personal experience. I had a BMI of 29 and I had the surgery done almost a year and a half ago. I could not lose those 50 lbs, just like you mentioned. I remembered what it was like to live in a lighter body, and I was miserable every single day, battling my weight with yo-yo dieting. I was very active, but I couldn't seem to get my eating under control. I tried every diet, sought counseling, read self help books, meditated...everything. Finally, I felt I was at the end of my rope when I learned about the sleeve. I went to Mexico a month later and had it done. Now I feel so much healthier, it is so easy to exercise (and I love doing it!), I fit into a size 4, and I don't stress about food every second of the day. Yes, it is a challenge at first, but I would do it all over again. One of the best gifts I could ever give myself! So take from my story what you will, but I don't believe people need to wait until they are morbidly obese with comorbidities to benefit from the sleeve. Another great thing is that surgery was less risky and recovery was pretty breezy because I was in pretty decent health to begin with. Good luck with your decision!

That is great . Well done24601. similar story to mine , in good health but age 54 so despite being extremely active , food was my issue and realise now at 2 weeks post op gastric sleeve , why . Loving not having to think :)

I was sleeved 12/16 in Mexico with BMI of 32. Gained/lost hundreds of pounds all my life and hope this tool will help me finally stay at my goal weight when I get there! Had a very easy recovery from day one (not to say I haven't thrown up several times in process). I've lost 40 lbs since sleeve date (plus 8 lbs preop diet). Goal is 10-15 more pounds but slowing down now. Easter was the irate time I did have a slice of cake and felt so guilty. My husband is only one that knows I had the surgery so it's hard when eat with friends because eat very little and can't drink at the same time. Here is my day of surgery pic and my current pic.IMG_6766.JPG

I was sleeved 12/16 in Mexico with BMI of 32. Gained/lost hundreds of pounds all my life and hope this tool will help me finally stay at my goal weight when I get there! Had a very easy recovery from day one (not to say I haven't thrown up several times in process). I've lost 40 lbs since sleeve date (plus 8 lbs preop diet). Goal is 10-15 more pounds but slowing down now. Easter was the irate time I did have a slice of cake and felt so guilty. My husband is only one that knows I had the surgery so it's hard when eat with friends because eat very little and can't drink at the same time. Here is my day of surgery pic and my current pic.IMG_6766.JPG.9eacbe6d16c1046575e7227c54ebdc61.JPG

You look great!

Eeeek I'm having my surgery on Friday!! Starting the pre-op diet of 2 days of clear liquid tomorrow. So excited and kinda nervous!! Thanks all for sharing your stories with me, it has really helped!

Had my surgery April 08 so now two weeks postop and feel so much better already .

Started at almost 80 kg , now 74.6.. recoverynot as bad as expected . EAster was interesting as a former chocoholic :)