Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Liquid diet hard?

The only thing I am nervous about with my upcoming sleeve surgery is the post op liquid diet. Did you find you felt full? I am 100% ok with only drinking liquids, as long as I actually feel full! I am terrified that I will feel very hungry.

Do you not have to do any pre-op liquid diet to prep for surgery? Every doc is different but am curious. I had to do liquids 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after, so pretty much a month of not eating anything.

I have had zero hunger since surgery. Foods smell good, but it doesn't mean I want to really eat. Depending on how you do with surgery it can be a challenge to get your fluids down. There were times where I wanted to eat actual food but outside of of Protein shakes/drinks and Water I wasn't concerned with eating food at all. Some people experience hunger, but for the most part it isn't much of a thing right after surgery.

Hi. I am day 7 post op and the full liquid diet has not been hard for me. I am trying to listen to what my body is telling me but to tell you the truth I have no idea anymore lol. All feel rumblings but not sure if hunger or just tummy settling down after such trauma. Dont think its hunger as pre sleeve me would eat anything and everything but so far only been having fluids and doing fine. Have been cooking meals for family as usual and not even tempted so that is a plus. Even made Cookies with my son last night and he ate them in front of me and although the smell was lovely, i wasnt even tempted. Maybe because of not hungry or fear of doing harm to tummy as its still healing. If that helps x

Mandi xx

6 minutes ago, orionburn said:

Do you not have to do any pre-op liquid diet to prep for surgery? Every doc is different but am curious. I had to do liquids 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after, so pretty much a month of not eating anything.

I have had zero hunger since surgery. Foods smell good, but it doesn't mean I want to really eat. Depending on how you do with surgery it can be a challenge to get your fluids down. There were times where I wanted to eat actual food but outside of of Protein shakes/drinks and Water I wasn't concerned with eating food at all. Some people experience hunger, but for the most part it isn't much of a thing right after surgery.

I am waiting to get my surgery date (appointment with surgeon is next month) so I haven't started any pre op prep. I am on a strict Keto diet right now (was able to loose my 10% pretty quick) and have become fat adapted, so I do not feel hungry often, but I am worried about switching to all liquids. Its the "dumping" effect that scares me, I don't want to chance eating too much but don't want to feel hungry either.

3 minutes ago, scochrane86 said:

I am waiting to get my surgery date (appointment with surgeon is next month) so I haven't started any pre op prep. I am on a strict Keto diet right now (was able to loose my 10% pretty quick) and have become fat adapted, so I do not feel hungry often, but I am worried about switching to all liquids. Its the "dumping" effect that scares me, I don't want to chance eating too much but don't want to feel hungry either.

If you're getting a sleeve done then you shouldn't have to worry about dumping syndrome. That typically only happens with gastric bypass. My Protein shakes make me feel full even though they still pass through the stomach fairly fast. The key thing post-op is to pace yourself. I was given a little baby spoon prior to surgery and that's what I use to eat with. Once you get used to taking smaller sips and stretching a drink out to 15-30 minutes you'll start to learn when enough is enough. I was worried as well that I would drink too much and hurt my stomach. Honestly the only time I truly felt a truly full sensation was when I hit the pureed stage. It's a weird feeling when eating one egg makes you feel stuffed.

15 minutes ago, libertylady49 said:

I'm the same way. I'm a couple months away from surgery date but I've started the Protein shakes, supplements and cutting volume. Sort of rehearsal for the opening night...nervous as hell, but so ready!

I am also SO READY!!! but nervous as well! I have significantly cut my eating down so I am preparing myself a little

26 minutes ago, orionburn said:

If you're getting a sleeve done then you shouldn't have to worry about dumping syndrome. That typically only happens with gastric bypass. My Protein shakes make me feel full even though they still pass through the stomach fairly fast. The key thing post-op is to pace yourself. I was given a little baby spoon prior to surgery and that's what I use to eat with. Once you get used to taking smaller sips and stretching a drink out to 15-30 minutes you'll start to learn when enough is enough. I was worried as well that I would drink too much and hurt my stomach. Honestly the only time I truly felt a truly full sensation was when I hit the pureed stage. It's a weird feeling when eating one egg makes you feel stuffed.

That is great to hear, thank you!