Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going out to eat is depressing...

This is a rough time! During Christmas I was on my liver shrink diet, then New Years, my anniversary was last month, then Super Bowl and now Valentines! I go with my husband out to eat and Celebrate but there is no celebration anymore. The waitresses always ask if the food was bad because I only eat 5 bites, they constantly watch to see if I'm enjoying so I'm being watched on top of being full an hour before my husband. So I just sit there watching him gorge himself and not gain a pound (hate his metabolism). I feel uncomfortable and out of place to where the experience isn't enjoyable but he doesn't understand. I ask him to share his food so I don't feel awkward but he says he's hungry.

Going out used to be the highlight of my day and now I'm left underwhelmed and bored. I tried to tell my husband we need to start doing other activities not surrounded around food but food is still a major part of his life. He's very supportive of me but I'm struggling to find common ground. What new activities do some of the vets do now that they didn't before to keep the peace?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You can always take the food to go! I still love to go out to eat and I'll be on my second year this summer. I don't eat everything, but always take a to go bag with me :)

It doesn't stop me from enjoying our lunch / dinner dates because you guys can still talk while he eats. Look at this way... you will have plenty of yummy left overs to eat later when he already finished all his :P I always look forward to my leftovers lol saves money too!

Besides food, you can go to the movies, miniature golf, amusement parks... whatever you did before, whatever hobbies you have, you guys can still do :)

I probably should mention my husband is in the military and INHALES his food. He's never been one for much discussion but before it wasn't as noticeable because I was inhaling my food as well. I played Trivia the whole time at Chili's today. I might mention we have been married 19 years and our lives and travels have revolved around food or wine. I need to connect with him and it's difficult because the one thing we shared a love for is gone. I guess movies would be a good option, but the smell of butter popcorn is a bit overwhelming for me right now. Thanks for the advice though. I need a hobby and then drag him to it. I was thinking boot camp training after my strength returns. He loves working out, me not so much.

Edited by Mandybb

I don't know if this will help but it's just a suggestion. I eat very slow now when I go out so I can stay on pace with my dinner-mates. I take a bite and then lean back. I also do a lot more talking now as I dont' have my mouth full. lol!

I also take it as an opportunity to try different flavors on my Proteins. So I get something different to try. I also love knowing that I can just order off the appetizer menu now. lol! That's always fun.

But I agree, it is important that you come up with different things to connect with your husband on. I know after work it's hard to do something other than just go out to eat. Maybe bowling?? I know that sounds nuts but he can eat/drink while bowling? Something like that. Sorry, just brainstorming.

Also, maybe do some of those mystery dinner things or the dinner and a show. That way you can start to combine things?