Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

back to square one - band slip fixed - back on liquids

HI Folks,

I am so dissappointed that my "buddy" has chosen to slip again. I am down 104 pounds and do not need to loose anymore, but I will not have this one replaced unless it becomes a medical emergency. Self pay - $35,000 out of pocket already and even though I may have a nest egg, I don't think I want to invest another $18,000 in something that lasts on 10 months. I still have restriction and am not in pain, so the doctor said for us to wait and see!

Time will tell!

I think my stress factor has a lot to do with my band slippage and lifting items I should not lift. (ie: work) but, not much I can do to change it now.

Good luck to others!

First day on the forum here. I had an egd done last week due not being able to get a fill without getting major GERD.I was banded 5 1/2 years ago and last 80 initially before the weight started back on. Im now up 40 pound and feel like a failure.:smile: I have always had an issue with vomiting and serious restricted on the foods I cannot eat.The Dr. said my band has slipped down creating it to have a mushroom type effect over the top of the band with stomach.So I am waiting for insurance to approve a fix and preparing myself for yet another pre op diet followed by the liquid. I am trying to be positive that things will work out. Just needing to vent....and wanting to be thin.:(

I just found this information in

"Lap Band System Adjustable Gastric Banding System with Omniform Design put out by Allergan. "On page 2 under "Adverse Events" 5th paragraph it says:

"Gastric Banding done as a revision procedure has a greater risk of complications. Prior abdominal surgey is commonly associated with adhesions involving the stomach. In the US study, 42% of the patients undergoing revisions were reported to have developed adhesions involving the stomach. Care and time must be taken to adequately release the adhesions to provide access, exposure and mobilization of the stomach for revision procedures" (I think this is addressing the MD)" It went on the give a percentage of the failure rate for band slippage on those banded for a second time. It was greater but I can't find the %.

I would put the web site up but I can't find it again. Maybe those of you that are more computer literate will be able to find it. It is dated October 2007. If you type in the top stuff maybe it will come up.

Sorry for incomplete information; but maybe you can find it and decide if you want a second band.

I went for a routine esophogram today, but it was 7 months late because I've been treated for breast cancer. Found out that my band has slipped and I need a revision. My surgeon wanted to do it within the next couple of weeks, but I have to wait until after radiation is over. Back to liquids and all that. But it's worth it.

Right now im just waiting for insurance approval,and I might add looking forward to basically starting over,liquids and all.Good luck with your radiation Joan I'll keep you in my prayers.

First day on the forum here. I had an egd done last week due not being able to get a fill without getting major GERD.I was banded 5 1/2 years ago and last 80 initially before the weight started back on. Im now up 40 pound and feel like a failure.:o I have always had an issue with vomiting and serious restricted on the foods I cannot eat.The Dr. said my band has slipped down creating it to have a mushroom type effect over the top of the band with stomach.So I am waiting for insurance to approve a fix and preparing myself for yet another pre op diet followed by the liquid. I am trying to be positive that things will work out. Just needing to vent....and wanting to be thin.:rolleyes:

i just found out that my 10cc band had slipped...i had mild discomfort but no real pain or anything that would scare me, in fact i went in for another fill and the dr. found the slip...he told me that i have to get it repaired and he unfilled the band. he also stated that my 10cc band is rarely used anymore and he wants to put the newer band in...he says it looks like there is no erosion but i still cant help but be so scared to do this all over again....i dont want to lose my band but i am scared......:confused:

Last week I had a slight un-fill and the pain I had had is gone, so I am wondering if that enabled the stomach to heal itself? It can happen, so I call the office to ask for a second esophogram to make sure that the surgery is absolutely necessary, because although I am willing to go through with it, I'd rather not! (Of course then I get worried that the pain is gone because it's eroded, but I hope not!) I'll know in a couple of weeks!

:confused:I have had trouble from the beginning with my LAP-BAND®, I was filled up to I think almost 4cc's and did lose about 35-40lbs in the first six months or so, my surgery was June 2007. But I started having a lot of problems with acid reflux, pain, vomiting, nausea, so they began unfilling in August of last year. The Dr unfilled a little at a time about .5cc at a time, and I was so disappointed because then I felt hungry, but still had the symptoms. In July/August last year, I started waking up aspirating from acid reflux in the night, which was soooooooo scary. I didn't want to lay down. I called and the Dr wanted to unfill more. He did. We did a Upper GI he didn't think anything was wrong. But then I started developing pains, sharp pains like heart attack pains in upper chest/stomach area seemingly either with empy stomach, like first thing in mornings, or after meals. Very scary, hurt to breath. I also went through a couple bad bronchitis episodes due to the aspiration affecting my lungs and still have wheezing in my lungs. Have gone to respiratory Dr for that, and they haven't given me a good explanation as to why I am having problems with wheezing. They have ruled out asthma. But in Dec the Abd pain got so bad I went to ER and they did a CAT scan. The ER dr called my LAP-BAND® Dr and advised they thought I had a pretty significant band slippage they could see. The stomach has slipped up through the band. The ER dr referred me back to the Lapbad Dr. However I have been more and more discouraged with this Dr for feeling like he just keep blaming me for my lack of results stating I was eating too much sweets, and not exercising enough. I kept telling him I wasn't eating that much, my fiance and now husband even backed me up on that. I am bad at exercise, but I was having so many complications with food it has almost become impossible for me to want to eat. Food wouldn't go down, either too chunky or I think I ate too fast because I waited till I was hungry, and it came back up immediately. So I am sure that added to it all. Anyway, so now in late December my LAP-BAND® Dr decided to totally unfill me to help with pain and reflux. It has helped. He has told me based on the latest CAT that he doesnt' think the slippage is too major, but he gave me the option to have it repaired or removed. I really hated coming to that decision, because the whole two years has been such an ordeal, and full of disappointment. I don't know how much is from the LAP-BAND® slipping, how long ago that happened, and the combination of symptoms not helping me loose the weight. I am basically back to my original weight. Having spent much money and time having the original LAP-BAND® placed, and going to all the Dr appts, having the Upper GI's done, and now CAT scan. Even with insurance, not a cheap endeaver. Now I am trying to decide what to do. My original goal was to loose weight. I am soooooo disappointed to not have any of that happen and to be back to square one, feeling helpless about the situation. I wished it would have worked for me, and I even asked about maybe switching to a full gastric bypass. But he said he wouldn't do that at the same time he removes the band. There is no guarantee that fixing it will work, or I won't run into the same problems in the future again. So I am opting for removal. Any other insight or opinions as to what to do? I almost feel like getting a 2nd oppinion. But here in CO there are not too many Dr's that even know about LAP-BAND® it seems. Plus I don't know if the ins will help pay for removal, or how much that surgery will cost, and time off work. Ugh!!!!!

I feel your pain :) This is my second time around. First time I had a slip, I was overfilled and vomited alot due to blockage. That of course was the cause for slipping. That was in 2006. I just had my band replaced on the 2nd of this month. Had slight slip and some scar tissue that formed its own band!!! So, now I have the new model and hope that all goes well this time!!!

I feel like a total failure!! I've gained 8lbs since my band was repositioned 02/16/10!! It started the day after Christmas with what I thought was the 24-hr stomach flu. I started throwing up & after 24-hrs it still didn't get much better. I was losing weight like crazy so when I went in for my 3rd fill (I was banded 10/22/09; 1st fill 11/11/09; 2nd fill 11/24/09) on 01/14/10 I told my Dr. that I had been really sick & still having trouble keeping food down, he said that since I lost weight and was sick that i just needed time to heal & didn't give me a fill. I thought OK, sounds good. But, when i kept throwing up I thought something isn't right. I called the Dr. and went in on 01/25/10, she (PA) removed 1.5cc's. I felt better for a couple days them back to the same, this time I was even throwing up liquids. I called the Dr. again & went back on 02/09/10, she removed another 2cc's. She (PA) thought that maybe my band had slipped but consulted with the surgeons & they said I was probably eating too much too fast so she couldn't do a CT scan. She instructed that I call her immediatly if the problems continue. By 02/11/10 I called her office & told her that everything was being thrown up and she instructed me to go directly to ER. I drove myself there, the ER called my PA 7 she then removed the remaining 2cc's from my band & did CT scan. The ER sent me home that same night, I thought whew everything is good, I just have to get thru this rought patch. The next day the PA called and said that my surgeon has reviewed the xray & that the band had slipped & needed to repaired as soon as possible. I thought, "huh??" It was a Friday & I had already had some liquids so they couldn't do surgery that day. The office instructed that I go into the hospital Tuesday 02/16/10 & they would do the surgery. Since I have an HMO I was worried about the coverage, they told me that I would be admitted thru the ER & have the surgery as an emergency. The weekend was long & Sunday was the worst, my PA called on Monday & I told her that I had been throwing up constantly, she said that I go straight to the ER & get admitted. I did & they stuck an IV in to hydrate me & prepped me for surgery on 02/16/10. All is done & I feel better. Drinking Water & the liquid broth was delicious, i haven't thrown up & i"m so happy. I can eat!!! problem is that now I can't stop eating!! I've gained 8lbs!! I go for my first fill 04/07/10 and am scared that my Dr. is going to be upset with me. I'm also scared that my band might slip again!! Am i a HUGE failure???:o

I found out today my band slipped and Im scared. I am having it replaced on May 18 by the same doctor. I've lost 92lbs since April 2, 2009.

Whatever you do, make sure he doesn't give you a 14cc. band! The same thing happend to me and a diff Dr. replaced my 10cc.band with a 14cc. one---It is totally full, but I have no restriction or satiety. I'm gaining all my weight back---very depressing to think I spent all that money and time for nothing.

I have not been on here in a long time. I have been slowly but steadily losing since I had my band placed sept of 08. Just this past two weeks something is wrong! I have not gotten or needed a fill for the past 9 mo. I have lost 85 lbs so far. Just this past two weeks I haven't been able to eat anything without pain and slime-ing. I make myself bring up that yuck just so the discomfort goes away. I've lost 8 lbs in 3 weeks. While that's nice, I'm scared that for some reason my band has slipped. I thought I was just super tight because it was that time of the month. I always got super tight for about a week, then gradually it would loosen as hormones settled back down. I am self pay, and can not pay for revision at this point. Have decided I need to do some liquids for a few days. Tried to drink a carnation instant Breakfast for dinner just now, and can't get that down either. Any suggestions?

I have been there and you need to see the doctor who put your band in (if he or she is not available then another bariatric doctor). Nothing would stay down including my own saliva when my band slipped. I would drink Water and it would come up. I don't want to scare you but you need medical attention right away. You can get severely dehydrated because no Water will stay down and that can be life threatening.

My band slipped last July 2009 while I was on vacation in Kauai. My kayak turned over. I climbed back into the kayak. I thought I broke a rib but when I went to the emergency room and they did a Catscan and x-ray. I had trouble breathing and I couldn't eat or drink anything.

I found out from the tests that my band slipped! Luckily, it happened at the end of my vacation. I came home and went straight to the ER near my home. I had my band taken out a few days later. They couldn't take Fluid from my band because it was twisted.

I thought since I lost so much weight with my band that I could have it taken out and life would be fine. That is not how it worked. I wasn't done with my work with the band because I started GAINING WEIGHT!

I had a new band put in last November 2009. I could see myself gaining my weight back and gaining more!

I feel I am on track now with my new band and I am taking everything very slow including my fills. I have lost the weight I gained when I lost my band. I have the hope that I can lose more weight and keep the weight off that I fought so hard to lose.

Good luck to you and please post again after you see your doctor and let me and others know how you are doing.

Ellen