Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So the honeymoon is over?

This is everything my nutritionist preaches. She already wants me at 1050 calories and that was at 2 weeks out. I haven't gotten there yet but I make the effort every day,

This is so refreshing to read! I've been worrying that I'm eating too much in comparison to what people on here say they eat. I'm 5 week out and my calories have gradually risen to 1000-1300kcal a day. I am working out quite vigorously (spinning/body combat/aerobics) 5 times a week though, I don't think I could do this on 600 kcals!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I think your ability to lose weight a couple years out from WLS is completely dependent upon what you did to your metabolism immediately post-op. Some people have *clearly* wrecked their metabolism by restricting calories WAY too much. I have seen people on these forums who claim to gain weight if they eat any more than 850 or 1000 calories a day a couple years post-op. I would accuse them of inaccurately tracking their calories, but there have been too many of them to ignore.

This is why I keep advising people to progress their calories, but it seems like so many people are terrified to do so.

They don't realize what it means to be stuck on those low low calories for the rest of their life. It makes maintenance so much harder. It is like dooming yourself to regaining.

OutsideMatchinside can you elaborate on this? I am having a hard time understanding why I have to eat so low calorie to maintain vs. my sister who lost the same amount of weight as me with diet alone no surgery. (I am not in maintenance phase yet, but going by what I have read on forums).

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

Oh well, I'm not going to because I like how the treat me. I'm not into disclosing my surgery. Actually let me take that back, I think they do know I had the sleeve. Now I can't remember if I told them the last time or not.

My point is, and has been, that my metabolism is normal, and has been all along after surgery, because I don't eat like a typical weight loss surgery patient. I increased my calories, I eat a high fat diet. I also look easily 10 years younger than my age, when a lot of people age horribly after losing a lot of weight.

I knew all that research about WLS changing peoples numbers which is why I had my numbers tested to begin with. People who have WLS for the most have diminished metabolisms. Having surgery gives people a chance to reset it, but instead of doing that, they stay on starvation calories forever and ruin their reset.

We have had several conversations on this forum since the Biggest Loser "study" (I say "study" because the number of people involved is so small it isn't really a study imo).

While WLS initially helps people with resetting their set point and helping them with weight loss. Most patients don't eat a normal-ish diet and tank their metabolism, so they have to eat near immediate post-op calories for the rest of their life. Which is part of why so many people regain as soon as they start introducing more foods and eating normally. Not to mention all the people that stick to 60g or Protein and lose a lot of lean muscle mass which helps keep your calories higher.

I have watched that weight of a nation series so many times. That is part of what made me decide on surgery. I realized finally it wasn't a matter of will power, it was basically impossible for someone my weight to lose weight on their own.

Thank you....sorry I should of read the whole thread first lol

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

@@JamieLogical and @@OutsideMatchInside

thank you for the advice. I had resigned myself to a lower metabolic setpoint and am so relieved to know that it doesnt have to be that way.

One more question, if you don't mind. What are your macro levels? Are you proponents of low carb and high fat? Here is what I ate yesterday:

Calories Fat Carbs Protein

919 62g 45g 52g (carbs were from Beans, not grains)

@@deeveg

I know that Jamie eats carbs because she runs marathons. I am sure she will answer with her macros

My macros are like 60% fat, 50% Protein 10% carbs.

I rarely go over 25 net carbs, so my carbs are usually really lower than 10%, more like 7%. That works for me, it might now work for everyone. It works for me because it includes things I hate. Like I would rather starve than eat Beans, or rice or Pasta. I don't like any of them. People who like things like that will have a hard time eating Keto I think. I like meat and dairy, so Keto, low carbing is perfect for me.

Awesome topic! Thanks everyone! I thought I was eating too much compared to others on this site at about 3 months out (800-900 cal /day), but have been struggling making through workouts lately. Lots of reassuring info in this thread...

PS - I had actually stopped coming to the site regularly because it seems like everyone asks the same questions over, and over, and over again (search function anyone?). Big thank you to all the veterans for chiming in!

Off Topic

Forums are meant to facilitate discussions. Should things become repetitive, then it may be time for a break. If every newcomer used the search function, there wouldn't be many new posts.

I use the search function often. I start threads because I enjoy the interactivity.

So is it possible to increase your metabolic rate two years or more after surgery if you're one of those who ate very low calorie while in the "honeymoon" phase? I still have about another 20 pounds to lose but have been stuck at about the same weight for about one year. I am now eating about 1300 calories per day and exercise 3 to 4 times per week, including cardio and lifting weights. If I eat more than about 1400 calories per day I gain. Any suggestions???

@@JamieLogical and @@OutsideMatchInside

thank you for the advice. I had resigned myself to a lower metabolic setpoint and am so relieved to know that it doesnt have to be that way.

One more question, if you don't mind. What are your macro levels? Are you proponents of low carb and high fat? Here is what I ate yesterday:

Calories Fat Carbs Protein

919 62g 45g 52g (carbs were from Beans, not grains)

I don't track my food anymore, but I know I ALWAYS get at least 100 grams of Protein a day, That is my top priority. I do also eat a fair amount of carbs, because as was mentioned by another poster, I am a distance runner. I don't go crazy with the carbs, but I don't shy away from them either, if I am confident I will make my protein goal for the day. I probably get close to 200 carbs when I am in the serious part of my training.

Clicking back through some of my logs from when I was tracking food as I was training for my half marathon, it looks like I was around 2100-2500 calories, 100 grams of fat, 200 grams of carbs, and 100-140 grams of protein.

@@Momcat - I think so. I'll let you know in six weeks when I'm done with this experiment. But there is evidence to suggest that your hormone levels are going to stay the same, so you do have that going for you.

So is it possible to increase your metabolic rate two years or more after surgery if you're one of those who ate very low calorie while in the "honeymoon" phase? I still have about another 20 pounds to lose but have been stuck at about the same weight for about one year. I am now eating about 1300 calories per day and exercise 3 to 4 times per week, including cardio and lifting weights. If I eat more than about 1400 calories per day I gain. Any suggestions???

I really don't know. I haven't seen much evidence of that. If I were in that situation, I think I'd try increasing calorie intake VERY gradually at the same time as increasing my cardio intensity. And then do some strength training to build more muscle, since muscle increases metabolism.

I really don't know. I haven't seen much evidence of that. If I were in that situation, I think I'd try increasing calorie intake VERY gradually at the same time as increasing my cardio intensity. And then do some strength training to build more muscle, since muscle increases metabolism.

And increase the Protein. Your hair and muscles will thank you.