Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to VSG or Bypass

Hello Everyone,

Short story- 3 years ago I had a lap band placed. It worked pretty good for a few months when I began to have troubles eating foods like lettuce, chicken, veggies, etc. I have been fighting this issue this entire time, having my "stuck" episodes and constant adjustment with no sweet spot. Finally I had an unfill of almost all the Fluid and have left it. I still get stuck. I have finally hit a point where my weight is back up, I am tired of the pains associated with my port location and my band. So I have looked into a revision. I started out originally looking at getting converted to the Sleeve because the idea of not struggling with malabsorbtion is a bonus. Then after talking to the surgeon I plan to use, he stated I may need the RNY. I started reading up on both procedures and found lots of stories about people planning to get the sleeve but had to do RNY due to the damage their band caused. This is really opening me up to both ideas. I was just wondering what experience everyone had with revision and why you chose the surgery you did? I should mention that this will be an out of pocket expense for me and I will have to travel to Mexico, but I have a very good surgeon and know his nurse. My hopes are to have it done by the end of February. Feel free to share below. I wouldn't mind seeing progress pics or information from those who had revisions. Thanks!

I went in for a band adjustment, hopefully finding a doctor who knew what he was doing, and instead he suggested for me to get a revision to a sleeve after studying my recent history of problems finding my sweetspot. He never brought up RNY. I'm happy with the sleeve. I think if he did offer the RNY vs sleeve, I'd go for the sleeve. I read Dr. V's book on gastric sleeve (good book), and he said in his experience, of all WLS, the sleeve is the most natural and has the least complications.

I went in for a band adjustment, hopefully finding a doctor who knew what he was doing, and instead he suggested for me to get a revision to a sleeve after studying my recent history of problems finding my sweetspot. He never brought up RNY. I'm happy with the sleeve. I think if he did offer the RNY vs sleeve, I'd go for the sleeve. I read Dr. V's book on gastric sleeve (good book), and he said in his experience, of all WLS, the sleeve is the most natural and has the least complications.

I'll have to check out that book! Thanks for your input! I was leaning towards sleeve a lot and now I'm going back and forth. Before my band I was going to have the bypass but I talked myself out of it and now I regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I met with my surgeon who placed the band and he recommended the sleeve since I have a Vitamin absorption issue. It was a no-brainer. I trusted his professional opinion. So far, no regrets. Almost three months post op

I am scheduled for VSG 2/4/17!

either could work. I chose bypass, but sleeve was my backup. i had refux hence the bypass preference.

If you have reflux at all go with rny! I am working on getting revised again. Band 6/2010, vsg 10/2014, rny coming soon!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

After 10 years with the band, I finally had the revision to by-pass on December 9th, 2016. Being the holiday month and going through all of the holiday parties, this was a pretty difficult month for me as I was mainly on liquids. I was surprised about the initial depression I experienced. However, I have lost about 28 pounds in a month+ (from 205 to 177), my diabetes is virtually gone, my blood pressure is 117/70, and I am now getting my energy. I feel great. I have had no problems with eating correctly, getting my liquid and Protein in, etc. Have periods of feeling very tired, but those are resolving, as well.

All in all, I am very happy that I made this decision. I have joined a gym for weight lifting to build muscle mass, joined a support group, taking my supplements, walking, and tracking what I eat. Again, I feel great. Weight loss is slower than I thought, but it is coming off and that is good enough.

I do not look forward to some hair loss, but it comes back, so what?

I had scar tissue from the band (lots of it) so the sleeve was not recommended.

Best of luck,

Gail

Ultimately mine will depend on what they see when they get in there, but as of right now the plan is to do the sleeve. We just don't know exactly what damage my band has caused so that's the only issue, but my surgeon is very optimistic that he can do the sleeve as he's skilled at what he does. So fingers crossed it all goes well.

Glad to hear you are losing weight. 28 lbs isn't slow at all. That's fantastic! Keep it up. :)

If you have reflux at all go with rny! I am working on getting revised again. Band 6/2010, vsg 10/2014, rny coming soon!

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Yours is the post I was looking for bear hugs...I had a band 2007 the band revision 2014 the gastric sleeve august 2016. I have lost no weight with it at all and the worst reflux ever..I am really thinking about the bypass but wonder if my stomach has been through enough already. Wondering why you are revising?

Sent from my SM-N920I using the BariatricPal App

I am revising as my doctor has told me that this the only thing that will relieve the reflux. I had an endoscope in January and seeing those photos of the damage the acid is causing I was convinced also. Insurance has been submitted and appointment with surgeon to schedule is on Thursday.

Sorry for the delay in my reply, with the holidays I let time get away from me. I has my revision this past April. It has been wonderful! All of the reflux issues are gone and the bypass isn’t anything scary yo deal with at all. Weight loss has been steady and I am right where I want to be, comfortably. 830D6460-72CB-4663-8D43-9BA1CC4FF40F.thumb.jpeg.527eac080196ceecfbb26fde60d8d44e.jpeg

EE8F802B-DA98-4839-826D-C78082811FE1.thumb.jpeg.9daff5258bd44d1cc52e34da3326c249.jpeg

@bearhugs1975.. thanks for the reply. That is great news and you look wonderful. I have surgery now booked for 12th Feb and I can't wait. This GERD is killing me. Averaging 4 hrs sleep a night. Thanks a bunch..

I had the band put in in 2008 and had all the problems associated with it ever since. My doctor told me that the RNY would be a better choice because of the scar tissue underneath the band would put me at risk of leakage if I went with the sleeve. I didn't want to chance any leakage, so I went with the RNY.

Edited by BrenJean