Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS, Sodium, and losing weight slowly

I've been trying out different support groups but find it hard to really get support. It's a lot of crazy judging and I'm just lost. I have a million questions.

1. Does PCOS slow your VSG weight loss? I am 10 weeks and 39 pounds down and each week I struggle to lose. Some weeks I don't other weeks I lose 2 pounds.

2. How much Sodium are we suppose to get each day? Actually how many carbs, fat,sugar, and Fiber?

3. Is there a such thing as too much splenda?

4. Is it too much if I workout everyday?

5. How many calories are good per day?

6. Is it normal to feel like everyday I'm so concerned with my weight now?

Sent from my SM-G928P using the BariatricPal App

PCOS doesn't slow down weight loss. And 39 pounds in 10 weeks it a lot! You weight goes up and down all the time. If you are following your prescribed food plan you are losing FAT no matter what the scale says. Maybe you can stop weighing yourself every day? Some weeks you might not lose any weight. That is NORMAL.

I eat 25 grams of carbs, 90-110 grams of Protein, and as little sugar as possible (just what's in the 8oz of 1% milk I drink a few times a week). I add Fiber ( ground flax seeds) to my Protein shakes, you can also add Benifiber (it's clear and has no flavor) but drink the shake right away of it gets weird. I feel fuller for longer if I add some fiber to the shakes. I don't pay any attention to sodium, but I also don't eat packaged or canned food.

Watch out for alcohol sugar (it's often in candy and Protein bars) it will stall your weight loss no matter what the labels claim.

In my opinion there is such a thing as too much zero calorie (100% chemical) sweeteners.Lots of studies fine that ithey increases hunger. I limit it to one or two packets a day.

According to my PT I will get better results working out every second day. I alternate days walking (2miles) and toning/strength training .

As for calories, what does your NUT/plan say? If you eat 90 grams of protein and 25grams of low calorie carbs you're eating about 600 calories a day. I eat about 800-900 because, strange as it seems, I wasn't losing much weight and was told by the NUT To increase my calories.

Yes, it's normal to get a bit obsessed about your weight. I use a journal to keep track of everything I eat, how much Water I drink, my Vitamins, my blood sugars and exercise. How I explained it to a friend recently is that I have never spent so much time and effort on eating so little food.

I want to add that I don't know how old you are, how much you weigh or how active you are. So...keep in mind that the things I do might not be the best for you.

Please don't feel like people her are judgmental.

I worry about having to go through the same thing! I have pcos and it's so extremely hard for me to loose weight. I haven't had the surgery yet, I'm still going through the process which is driving me crazy waiting. But I'm so scared where I have pcos it's just going to be even harder too loose weight even with the sleeve! However, 39 Pounds is amazing! You should be proud of that number!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

PCOS doesn't slow down weight loss. And 39 pounds in 10 weeks it a lot! You weight goes up and down all the time. If you are following your prescribed food plan you are losing FAT no matter what the scale says. Maybe you can stop weighing yourself every day? Some weeks you might not lose any weight. That is NORMAL.

I eat 25 grams of carbs, 90-110 grams of Protein, and as little sugar as possible (just what's in the 8oz of 1% milk I drink a few times a week). I add fiber ( ground flax seeds) to my Protein shakes, you can also add Benifiber (it's clear and has no flavor) but drink the shake right away of it gets weird. I feel fuller for longer if I add some fiber to the shakes. I don't pay any attention to sodium, but I also don't eat packaged or canned food.

Watch out for alcohol sugar (it's often in candy and protein bars) it will stall your weight loss no matter what the labels claim.

In my opinion there is such a thing as too much zero calorie (100% chemical) sweeteners.Lots of studies fine that ithey increases hunger. I limit it to one or two packets a day.

According to my PT I will get better results working out every second day. I alternate days walking (2miles) and toning/strength training .

As for calories, what does your NUT/plan say? If you eat 90 grams of protein and 25grams of low calorie carbs you're eating about 600 calories a day. I eat about 800-900 because, strange as it seems, I wasn't losing much weight and was told by the NUT To increase my calories.

Yes, it's normal to get a bit obsessed about your weight. I use a journal to keep track of everything I eat, how much Water I drink, my Vitamins, my blood sugars and exercise. How I explained it to a friend recently is that I have never spent so much time and effort on eating so little food.

I want to add that I don't know how old you are, how much you weigh or how active you are. So...keep in mind that the things I do might not be the best for you.

This group is great...others not so much.

I think my issue is I bought this diet journal and it requires you to weigh yourself daily (I know crazy right) I just assumed it was keeping me accountable. But apparently it's just driving me crazy.

Im 30 years old. My HW-232 , my CW-193, and my goal weight is 130.

I get in 64 oz of Fluid. 60-90 grams of protein. My NUT hasn't said anything... she didnt want to give me carb limits etc at the time because it was my one month post op and I wasn't getting 3 meals in yet. Which is crazy because she knew I wouldn't see her again until my 3 month mark.

I will try to weigh myself once a week.

As for canned and package foods... I'm guilty of eating them often.

Thank you so much for your advice.

I worry about having to go through the same thing! I have pcos and it's so extremely hard for me to loose weight. I haven't had the surgery yet, I'm still going through the process which is driving me crazy waiting. But I'm so scared where I have pcos it's just going to be even harder too loose weight even with the sleeve! However, 39 Pounds is amazing! You should be proud of that number!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you.

PCOS always worries me. How for are you in the process?

I eat 25 grams of carbs, 90-110 grams of Protein, and as little sugar as possible (just what's in the 8oz of 1% milk I drink a few times a week). I add fiber ( ground flax seeds) to my Protein shakes, you can also add Benifiber (it's clear and has no flavor) but drink the shake right away of it gets weird. I feel fuller for longer if I add some fiber to the shakes. I don't pay any attention to sodium, but I also don't eat packaged or canned food.

Watch out for alcohol sugar (it's often in candy and protein bars) it will stall your weight loss no matter what the labels claim.

On the contrary PCOS can cause you to lose weight slower even with the sleeve. But it's nothing to be worried about, you will still lose way more than you would have without the sleeve.

Women with PCOS need fewer calories to maintain their weight but the same is true for yoyo dieters and most people over 40. So...when all is said and done women with PCOS do just as well after WLS as over half of all the people who have WLS. Lots of research showing that as the weight comes off and and we "thrifty gene" types get more physical active we will lose weight as long as we continue to exercise and stay on plan.

The real work comes when we get to the maintenance phase.

I have PCOS and hypothyroidism and I don't feel it slowed me down. I got to goal in about 8 months and lost 110% of my excess weight. Sodium will depend on personal medical situation so I don't recommend getting advice from anyone else but your medical team. For example I don't avoid sodium because I now have low blood pressure... But your situation could be totally different. I didn't have HBP before.

I only had a Protein goal. My nut said Protein first and not much else. No calorie, fat or carb goal. However no sugar, rice, white flour or processed carbs. Early on walking was the recommended exercise and they wanted me do as much as possible every day. After all post op restrictions were lifted no limitations at all. I think most medical teams would be thrilled if your exercising every day. And year post I still worry about my weight every day and I at goal. Best of luck to you!

Edited by ocgirl15