Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Got A Surgery Date!

I went to see my surgeon Yesterday and he gave me a tentative date of january 25th. I just got a call from the office saying that my insurance has approved the surgery and they scheduled me. I'm so excited, I start my pre-op diet on the 11th of january. I just wanted to share that with you guys :) those of you who have already had surgery, what did you experience your 1st month or so afterwards?. If you are already into your pre-op how are you doing ?.

Yayy! awesome news! I remember when I got my authorization I started crying! For Real! LOL

I am on day 2 of my pre-op diet. My surgery is 12/21 and so far I'm doing good. I really enjoy the shakes I am using, they are vanilla by Jay Robbs. They are all natural so there is no after-taste. My doctor allows for 3 oz of either chicken or fish with veggies for on meal or 4 egg whites (1 cup) so I plan on getting creative so that I don't get "bored". Otherwise, smooth sailing.

I DO feel a little of a headache which I am suspecting it's from the lack of caffeine but I feel good.

Once again, good luck!

xoxo

That's my tentative date!!! I hope to keep it : ) Congratulations to you!

I went to see my surgeon Yesterday and he gave me a tentative date of january 25th. I just got a call from the office saying that my insurance has approved the surgery and they scheduled me. I'm so excited, I start my pre-op diet on the 11th of january. I just wanted to share that with you guys :) those of you who have already had surgery, what did you experience your 1st month or so afterwards?. If you are already into your pre-op how are you doing ?.

Yayy! awesome news! I remember when I got my authorization I started crying! For Real! LOL

I am on day 2 of my pre-op diet. My surgery is 12/21 and so far I'm doing good. I really enjoy the shakes I am using, they are vanilla by Jay Robbs. They are all natural so there is no after-taste. My doctor allows for 3 oz of either chicken or fish with veggies for on meal or 4 egg whites (1 cup) so I plan on getting creative so that I don't get "bored". Otherwise, smooth sailing.

I DO feel a little of a headache which I am suspecting it's from the lack of caffeine but I feel good.

Once again, good luck!

xoxo

Thank you so much, I cried too lol. I'll definitely check out those shakes. I'm glad things are going well for you :)

That's my tentative date!!! I hope to keep it : ) Congratulations to you!

Oh wow Awesome, Thank You :) I hope you keep your date let me know if you do[emoji1]

My recovery was easier than I expected. I was only in pain for 2 days after my surgery. The pain I felt was from the trapped CO2 gas in my shoulder. I also had body aches (kinda like the ones you get when you have the flu). But all of that went away by the 3rd day. It was like I woke up feeling reborn, lol. Another thing that caused discomfort was the fact that I could not empty my bladder completely. I always get like this after surgery. It's a condition known as postoperative urinary retention. I had trouble completely emptying my bladder for about 5-7 days. It was uncomfortable because, for days, I constantly felt the urge to urinate. I was able to urinate a bit here and there, but not as much as I wanted to. The feeling wasn't painful, it was just annoying, lol.

My incisions barely hurt at all. They were only slightly tender. My wounds were completely closed in about 4 weeks. The only trouble I had once I got home was getting in all my fluids. It was hard because I was not hungry at all, and I'm a natural gulper; it's impossible to gulp anything because your stomach is swollen from the surgery. I was unable to drink a lot for about 3 weeks. It was hard and a bit frustrating, but definitely worth it. You have to sip everything for several weeks. The reason it was so hard for me is because I get impatient and I sometimes forget to sip because I get easily distracted, lol. Getting in your fluids can be a bit painful if you drink too fast or gulp. It feels like the liquid is hard to get down. It can be uncomfortable, but it's manageable. Just remember to take small, frequent sips. You'll do fine. :)

I don't know if anyone warned you about the CO2 gas pain. Some people experience it, some people don't. As for me, lord have mercy... When I came out of surgery, I felt like I was having a hard time breathing; it felt like something was trapped in my sternum. The nurse reassured me that it was just trapped gas, and within about 2 minutes, I was asleep again. When I woke back up, the pain in my sternum was gone. A few hours later, I started to feel the dreaded gas pain in my left shoulder. The gas pain was the absolute hardest part of this whole thing. It felt as if someone hit my arm with a hammer as hard as they could. The liquid Hydrocodone was not touching the pain, so I requested Dilaudid. The nurse didn't want to give me any, so then my request became a demand. She tried saying that the Dilaudid wouldn't help my pain, but little did she know, I've had 3 kidney stones; if Dilaudid can help that much pain, then I know it can help any pain. She finally gave me the Dilaudid, and sure enough, it took the edge off. It didn't make the pain go away completely, but it helped enough for me to be able to sleep. My nurse kept telling me to walk to get rid of the pain. I had already walked several times that day, and since it was after midnight, I wanted to sleep. Don't get me wrong, walking DOES help the gas pain. You can be in so much pain from the trapped gas, and once you start walking, the pain goes away within seconds. But laying down makes the pain come back full force. Some people can lay at an incline and have no pain. As for me, I couldn't lay flat or lay at an incline. I was only able to sit up at a 90 degree angle. But, the Dilaudid did help, and I eventually fell asleep.

The next day in recovery, the gas pain in my shoulder was almost gone. It was only slightly lingering discomfort (not enough to cause a fuss). They took my tube out (it didn't hurt), and I was released from the hospital. When I got home, I laid down to sleep. When I woke up, I had body aches. I felt like I had been beaten up in an alley somewhere. So I drank some Water and broth, took a B12 Vitamin, and went back to sleep. When I woke up the next day, the body aches were completely gone. The aches are known as postoperative muscle pain. They make you feel icky, but they go away after you rest.

I know it sounds miserable, but only because I explained in detail. :P In the long run, all of this was 100% worth it. Just imagine yourself being sick for 1-3 days. Most people don't have much discomfort after a few days. I've had 6 surgeries from age 16 - 25. Having my gallbladder removed and a breast reduction were harder than my WLS. I was surprised by how easy this was, especially since it's a pretty serious procedure.

My recovery was easier than I expected. I was only in pain for 2 days after my surgery. The pain I felt was from the trapped CO2 gas in my shoulder. I also had body aches (kinda like the ones you get when you have the flu). But all of that went away by the 3rd day. It was like I woke up feeling reborn, lol. Another thing that caused discomfort was the fact that I could not empty my bladder completely. I always get like this after surgery. It's a condition known as postoperative urinary retention. I had trouble completely emptying my bladder for about 5-7 days. It was uncomfortable because, for days, I constantly felt the urge to urinate. I was able to urinate a bit here and there, but not as much as I wanted to. The feeling wasn't painful, it was just annoying, lol.

My incisions barely hurt at all. They were only slightly tender. My wounds were completely closed in about 4 weeks. The only trouble I had once I got home was getting in all my fluids. It was hard because I was not hungry at all, and I'm a natural gulper; it's impossible to gulp anything because your stomach is swollen from the surgery. I was unable to drink a lot for about 3 weeks. It was hard and a bit frustrating, but definitely worth it. You have to sip everything for several weeks. The reason it was so hard for me is because I get impatient and I sometimes forget to sip because I get easily distracted, lol. Getting in your fluids can be a bit painful if you drink too fast or gulp. It feels like the liquid is hard to get down. It can be uncomfortable, but it's manageable. Just remember to take small, frequent sips. You'll do fine. :)

I don't know if anyone warned you about the CO2 gas pain. Some people experience it, some people don't. As for me, lord have mercy... When I came out of surgery, I felt like I was having a hard time breathing; it felt like something was trapped in my sternum. The nurse reassured me that it was just trapped gas, and within about 2 minutes, I was asleep again. When I woke back up, the pain in my sternum was gone. A few hours later, I started to feel the dreaded gas pain in my left shoulder. The gas pain was the absolute hardest part of this whole thing. It felt as if someone hit my arm with a hammer as hard as they could. The liquid Hydrocodone was not touching the pain, so I requested Dilaudid. The nurse didn't want to give me any, so then my request became a demand. She tried saying that the Dilaudid wouldn't help my pain, but little did she know, I've had 3 kidney stones; if Dilaudid can help that much pain, then I know it can help any pain. She finally gave me the Dilaudid, and sure enough, it took the edge off. It didn't make the pain go away completely, but it helped enough for me to be able to sleep. My nurse kept telling me to walk to get rid of the pain. I had already walked several times that day, and since it was after midnight, I wanted to sleep. Don't get me wrong, walking DOES help the gas pain. You can be in so much pain from the trapped gas, and once you start walking, the pain goes away within seconds. But laying down makes the pain come back full force. Some people can lay at an incline and have no pain. As for me, I couldn't lay flat or lay at an incline. I was only able to sit up at a 90 degree angle. But, the Dilaudid did help, and I eventually fell asleep.

The next day in recovery, the gas pain in my shoulder was almost gone. It was only slightly lingering discomfort (not enough to cause a fuss). They took my tube out (it didn't hurt), and I was released from the hospital. When I got home, I laid down to sleep. When I woke up, I had body aches. I felt like I had been beaten up in an alley somewhere. So I drank some Water and broth, took a B12 Vitamin, and went back to sleep. When I woke up the next day, the body aches were completely gone. The aches are known as postoperative muscle pain. They make you feel icky, but they go away after you rest.

I know it sounds miserable, but only because I explained in detail. In the long run, all of this was 100% worth it. Just imagine yourself being sick for 1-3 days. Most people don't have much discomfort after a few days. I've had 6 surgeries from age 16 - 25. Having my gallbladder removed and a breast reduction were harder than my WLS. I was surprised by how easy this was, especially since it's a pretty serious procedure.

Wow thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I had no idea about the gas pains lol hopefully it doesn't effect me to much :). I've been practicing smaller sips lately, I was a gulper too lol. Again thank you very much for sharing your experience

I know it sounds miserable, but only because I explained in detail. In the long run, all of this was 100% worth it. Just imagine yourself being sick for 1-3 days. Most people don't have much discomfort after a few days. I've had 6 surgeries from age 16 - 25. Having my gallbladder removed and a breast reduction were harder than my WLS. I was surprised by how easy this was, especially since it's a pretty serious procedure.

Wow thank you so much for such a detailed reply. I had no idea about the gas pains lol hopefully it doesn't effect me to much :). I've been practicing smaller sips lately, I was a gulper too lol. Again thank you very much for sharing your experience

You're very welcome! If you do feel the gas pains, remember to walk. When you get sleepy and want to rest, try to lay at an incline. If you're still in pain, ask the nurse for Dilaudid if the liquid Hydrocodone doesn't help. Good luck, and keep us updated! :D

Well good luck Kitsune. I was sleeved on 10/10/2016. I had a relatively easy time and I'm 69 years old. The gas was bearable and walking did help. I had a small pain pump that went home with me. When I took it out a few days later, I realised what a great job it did. I then took the pain pills sporadiclly for about 2 days.

I agree that you need to drink the fluids, but from what I'm hearing most of us have problems getting in 64 oz. Do your best to keep sipping. I found that S/F popciles and Jello were wonderful. And that hot broth the baum.

Pre op I could only have Protein Water, not the shake and 1/2 strength gator ade. I made it through intact and the doctor said my liver shrunk perfectly.

My post op problem was weakness. I thought I would never walk again. I hadn't joined a support group, but I came to this site and lo and behold theyy were talking about drinking the Protein. I reduced the Fluid I was trying to take with my protein and started getting in the 50 grams every day in one shake. What a blessing over the days, I got stronger and stronger and now about 4 weeks later I am feeling wonderful. I am so peppy, I have even been decorating for Christmas.

I feel good and so will you! God bless!

Well good luck Kitsune. I was sleeved on 10/10/2016. I had a relatively easy time and I'm 69 years old. The gas was bearable and walking did help. I had a small pain pump that went home with me. When I took it out a few days later, I realised what a great job it did. I then took the pain pills sporadiclly for about 2 days.

I agree that you need to drink the fluids, but from what I'm hearing most of us have problems getting in 64 oz. Do your best to keep sipping. I found that S/F popciles and Jello were wonderful. And that hot broth the baum.

Pre op I could only have Protein Water, not the shake and 1/2 strength gator ade. I made it through intact and the doctor said my liver shrunk perfectly.

My post op problem was weakness. I thought I would never walk again. I hadn't joined a support group, but I came to this site and lo and behold theyy were talking about drinking the Protein. I reduced the Fluid I was trying to take with my protein and started getting in the 50 grams every day in one shake. What a blessing over the days, I got stronger and stronger and now about 4 weeks later I am feeling wonderful. I am so peppy, I have even been decorating for Christmas.

I feel good and so will you! God bless!

Thank you for the lovely advice, i really do appreciate it.