Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

this pouch thing is a real issue for some folk.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't know if it's an issue for me, but I do like to call my body parts by the correct term. Hell, I don't use text talk when I type and I insist on using correct grammar and punctuation in texts, too. Weird standards, I guess.

#teamnokangaroo I love that! #teamnopouch yaaaaas!

@@LipstickLady White men don't dance - at least, not very well. It doesn't matter how much beer I have (or anyone else has who watches me) It sort of looks like I am having a seizure. :blink:

I don't know if it's an issue for me, but I do like to call my body parts by the correct term. Hell, I don't use text talk when I type and I insist on using correct grammar and punctuation in texts, too. Weird standards, I guess.

Same here. The only "text talk" I use is K or whatev, and ONLY because it drives my kids nuts.

The reason why it matters to me, I can't speak to anyone else, is because Sleevers and people with RNY and the band have different anatomy and really different issues. There seems to be some kind of movement to lump everyone together but it isn't beneficial for anyone.

RNY people need to be careful not to stretch their pouches because they do stretch.

Sleeves that are properly made do no stretch.

The idea that sleeves stretch is a myth that we really need to stomp out in the sleeve community. It is a lie and people keep using it as a crutch for bad food/life choices. It send the wrong message to new sleevers and spreads misinformation.

@@LipstickLady I'm a sleeve to bypass revision because of severe GERD. Does that mean I have a slouch?????

The reason why it matters to me, I can't speak to anyone else, is because Sleevers and people with RNY and the band have different anatomy and really different issues. There seems to be some kind of movement to lump everyone together but it isn't beneficial for anyone.

RNY people need to be careful not to stretch their pouches because they do stretch.

Sleeves that are properly made do no stretch.

The idea that sleeves stretch is a myth that we really need to stomp out in the sleeve community. It is a lie and people keep using it as a crutch for bad food/life choices. It send the wrong message to new sleevers and spreads misinformation.

A big part of that is the medical advice we get from the medical professionals at the medical centers where we go to get our surgery. Notice the emphasis on medical. I will return to that in a moment.

I happen to agree with you that inaccurate information needs to be corrected. Your choice of words was stomped out. You corrected me on this last week, and I took that instruction from you because you are experienced, and I am still learning. But the overwhelming fact of the matter is, the medical community carries enormous authority with the things they tell us, whether those things are right or wrong. And how many times do we see posts here telling people to consult their surgeon, nutritionist, CRNP, etc? Those posts bolster that authority.

in opposition to that authority are relatively anonymous people on the internet. Stay with me now, for the next few sentences. This is not to say you have no credence, nor does it dismiss your information out of hand. Lots of people on lots of forums remain anonymous and are still capable of establishing their own bona fides. In this particular instance, they are fighting the bona fides and the information given to us by the very people who shepherded us through the process of our surgery. So you need to consider that when you come up against anyone who is new, and who is repeating the stuff he or she was taught by their medical contacts. That's part one.

Part two is attitude. It is a given that people are going to misunderstand one another from time to time. That happens in real life, and it happens even more on the web between total strangers who are limited to the written word. I make no excuses for anyone, even myself, when it comes to misunderstanding and responding to that. This thread is a fine example of how attitude can adversely affect a thread and personal relationships on both sides. Please note, I am not trying to lecture you, or lay any particular blame at your feet. This is merely a convenient place to make the observation.

The veterans on this board are a valuable resource. They are here to help the noobs, by their own report. Writing as someone who has made teaching a significant part of his career for the last 24 years, I can tell you that part of helping new people is patience. New people have wrong ideas. New people make mistakes. And all of us were new people at one time or another - sometimes over and over again.

I am an expert in my field. I am highly regarded. I spent years and years participating on forums in that capacity answering the same #$%& questions over and over again, correcting the same mistaken information, etc. It takes patience. And no, it does not require taking abuse. Abuse should not be tolerated, but that goes in both directions. So to come back to your choice of words, stomp out the information, but don't stomp out the person. That is counter to what the veterans say they are here for.

People screw up. Tell them so, and then move on. But we're up to how many pages now of driving someone into the dirt because she screwed up? I don't think that is helpful. How many noobs who read this are going to be afraid to ask a question for fear of saying the wrong thing and being vilified for it? Please note, I am not justifying any behavior on either side. Again, I am only making observations.

So this is getting long, and is way more serious than I like to be on a regular basis. I can only do serious for short stints. I have to go post a humorous story that happened. But please consider what I have written here - on both sides.

Edited by LittleBill

This thread made me lol. Most people on this board will post here what works FOR THEM. They're experts on their own body, but have also been around and have lots of general knowledge. If your surgical team says avoid soda, do that. When you heal and want to do your own self experimentation, do that.

Soda or other carbonation just doesn't seem worth it TO ME. Maybe after I'm sleeved, healed, and I understand my new anatomy I might try a sparkling Water which is what I drink now, but is a Diet Coke really worth it?

Sosa is bad sleeve or no sleeve! Stay away!!

I still drink as much Coke Zero now as before the surgery. Almost 200 lost pounds later, I don't have any intentions of quitting anytime soon.

I still drink as much Coke Zero now as before the surgery. Almost 200 lost pounds later, I don't have any intentions of quitting anytime soon.

How soon post-op did you start having Coke Zero? Does it cause you any discomfort at all? I was a huge diet coke drinker pre-op, and I miss it. I'm not planning to bring it back in the short-term, but I am hoping I can a little bit further down the road.

Thank you for that very instructional post, not sure why you thought you had to school me on carbonation. I'm just looking to encourage and be encouraged not be drilled down like you did.

Thanks anyways. Have a nice one.

This post will be around for a little no time. Someone might do a search next year and read it. You gave out false information that others might read and believe. Your put out because someone took the time and effort to correct.?