Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realistic Weight Loss Expectations

Hey Gang!

I'm currently going through my 13-step process for insurance approval to undergo a duodenal switch, as a corrective measure following eight years with a malfunctioning laproscopic band. I anticipate undergoing surgery in mid- to late December.

One question I'm repeatedly asked is what my weight loss expectations are. To be honest, I don't have a number of pounds in mind - my success with this will be measured by other means. I made a mistake setting pound-specific goals with the band, then becoming increasingly discouraged when reality didn't come close to matching expectation.

But that said, I'd like to ask those who've gone through the duodenal switch: What is a reasonable expectation within the first month, six months, year?

@@summerset -- Please try again. You inadvertently repeated the link.

@@Mac the Knife -- I have no info for you. Stopped in just to say how refreshing it is to come across someone interested in being realistic. All the best to you.

Edited by WLSResources/ClothingExch

Not a DS patient but bypass. I was asked this same question and at the time, my goal was to get healthy and be able to ride a bike again. The weight number really was not important to me.

Then, i had my surgery and started losing weight. Immediately my health improved drastically. In the beginning it never dawned on me that I could lose all of my weight if i wanted to but after the first 8 weeks i had that conversation with my doctor. They expected me to lose 65 to 70% of my excess weight. I believed i could lose it all and keep it off and that then became my goal.

I wanted to get healthy, get to a normal BMI....now my goals are to get my body somewhat back given i lost 152lbs and i weigh 158. I have alot of loose skin and it pulls on my neck back and shoulders. Now my goal is to get rid of some of that loose skin and get comfortable again.

Goals change as you progress through the stages. I knew I wanted got lose 100% after 8 weeks but i set mini goals along the way. The first 50, then 100, then i shot for Onederland which was probably most exciting goal. To be under 200! I cried that day, tears of joy.

Then, the really hard work began. That last bunch of weight is harder than you think to get off but totally doable.

Now it is about maintaining and getting rid of loose skin.

I never set a goal. I felt it would be too much pressure on me.

In the first month, I lost 19 lbs. Compared to other DSers it's wasn't as much. I was happy, though, bc I asked myself when had I ever lost that much weight in 1 month? My suggestion is to use that 12-18 month post op period to its fullest. It's the fastest you'll lose weight (you'll still lose years later if you want to but at a slower rate) so really let the DS work its magic.

Edited by Postop

In the first 2 weeks, my doc expects us to be down 2-3 BMI points. At the three month visit, he expects us to be down 10 BMI points. I'm not sure after that. I did not have a goal number set for me, either. And I have a DS (26 days out)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using the BariatricPal App