Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That moment when you realize the sleeve is saving you from yourself

I am 6 weeks post op VSG.

This past Saturday was a long, tiring day. I had a ton of work, plus stress, was on the go, and pretty exhausted by about 6:30pm. I was driving home and passed by those Golden Arches.

Before surgery and pre-op diet I would have, without any hesitation, stopped and ordered an offensive amount of food. Would have "justified" it to myself do to the fatigue and stress of the day.

This time, I felt a sense of nostalgia about how easy it was and how much I enjoyed it going down....however, my new defender, the sleeve, stepped right up, just like a really big best friend on the playground protecting me from a bully. The sleeve basically took over and before I could even get a craving, it was stepping in front of me saying NOPE to the obese old me who would have previously persuaded me (without much effort) to indulge.

I felt as thought the sleeve was in control and I was thankful. I am admitting to great personal weakness and without the sleeve, I would have caved. Feeling grateful.

Edited by The New Kel

I was out and busy, but unlike you I did stop at Wendy's. I ordered just the Jr. cheeseburger deluxe, but picked off the bun. Can I just say, GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I used to love Wendy's, but the charred, square patty with mayo and fixings was SO not yummy, and it sat in my stomach like lead. I wasn't sick, but I didn't feel great.

Happy to discover it's just not worth it.

I was out and busy, but unlike you I did stop at Wendy's. I ordered just the Jr. cheeseburger deluxe, but picked off the bun. Can I just say, GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I used to love Wendy's, but the charred, square patty with mayo and fixings was SO not yummy, and it sat in my stomach like lead. I wasn't sick, but I didn't feel great.

Happy to discover it's just not worth it.

WLS is a great tool isn't it? In the past that Wendys would have been satisfying just like the Golden Arches were to me. I am so happy that the sleeve doesn't allow it and makes it Unappealing!

@@The New Kel I can TOTALLY relate. Theres this cute little place where I live. The Original pancake House (you may have heard of it). Anyways Breakfast food is my favorite type and whenever I had a long night working in the hospital, I would TREAT myself to a early morning visit to the pancake house. I'd order a pancake plater (6 pancakes) with a side of bacon, fresh strawberries and a cup of homemade whipped cream oh and a cup of coffee (more Creamer than coffee). "I deserve this" I would think to myself... I was there at least 2 days a week. They knew me-- I'd have on my scrubs and I tipped well. They were very friendly-- asked if I wanted my usual-- Well I recently went back there on Sunday to pick up a carry out for my family. I ordered oatmeal. (probably the best I've ever had) and I thought back to the old me. I would have never gotten oatmeal. and I had moooore than enough I think they gave me enough oatmeal for 4 days (almost 2 cups)!!!

Yes and everytime we pass by those golden arches I think about how often I would go there to get dinner because I was too lazy to cook or wait in line for healthier options. I am so thankful that the sleeve has afforded me the opportunity to make better choices for myself and my family.

Edited by Candygyrl

@@The New Kel

This is really a perfect way to describe it. The sleeve in the beginning saves you a lot, and if you let it and you work with it, it changes your behavior and those changes last. Now even though I can eat just about anything I want. I don't want to, because my whole attitude about food is completely different. I would have never been able to make this lifestyle change without my sleeve. Even though I basically feel normal now, I am grateful for the lessons my sleeve taught me last year.

@@The New Kel I can TOTALLY relate. Theres this cute little place where I live. The Original pancake House (you may have heard of it). Anyways Breakfast food is my favorite type and whenever I had a long night working in the hospital, I would TREAT myself to a early morning visit to the pancake house. I'd order a pancake plater (6 pancakes) with a side of bacon, fresh strawberries and a cup of homemade whipped cream oh and a cup of coffee (more creamer than coffee). "I deserve this" I would think to myself... I was there at least 2 days a week. They knew me-- I'd have on my scrubs and I tipped well. They were very friendly-- asked if I wanted my usual-- Well I recently went back there on Sunday to pick up a carry out for my family. I ordered Oatmeal. (probably the best I've ever had) and I thought back to the old me. I would have never gotten oatmeal. and I had moooore than enough I think they gave me enough oatmeal for 4 days (almost 2 cups)!!!

Yes and everytime we pass by those golden arches I think about how often I would go there to get dinner because I was too lazy to cook or wait in line for healthier options. I am so thankful that the sleeve has afforded me the opportunity to make better choices for myself and my family.

Oh I loved the Pancake house! Its funny (yet tragic) how we used to validate our eating isn't it? It was always validated by the old me by pitying myself and saying that I was stressed, tired etc. Now I realize that by indulging in that bad food to wasn't actually rewarding, it was punishing.

Just as you said, I love how the sleeve allows for the best decision making.

@@The New Kel

This is really a perfect way to describe it. The sleeve in the beginning saves you a lot, and if you let it and you work with it, it changes your behavior and those changes last. Now even though I can eat just about anything I want. I don't want to, because my whole attitude about food is completely different. I would have never been able to make this lifestyle change without my sleeve. Even though I basically feel normal now, I am grateful for the lessons my sleeve taught me last year.

I appreciate your post- someone who has the ability to eat bad but your sleeve and a year out has mentally trained you not to even want to go there. You give me a lot of hope and encouragement!

@@The New Kel

I appreciate your post. Its nice to read how those with experience have leaner and overcome the mental games that our old selves manipulated us with. Thanks for an inspirational post!

I am 6 weeks post op VSG.

This past Saturday was a long, tiring day. I had a ton of work, plus stress, was on the go, and pretty exhausted by about 6:30pm. I was driving home and passed by those Golden Arches.

Before surgery and pre-op diet I would have, without any hesitation, stopped and ordered an offensive amount of food. Would have "justified" it to myself do to the fatigue and stress of the day.

This time, I felt a sense of nostalgia about how easy it was and how much I enjoyed it going down....however, my new defender, the sleeve, stepped right up, just like a really big best friend on the playground protecting me from a bully. The sleeve basically took over and before I could even get a craving, it was stepping in front of me saying NOPE to the obese old me who would have previously persuaded me (without much effort) to indulge.

I felt as thought the sleeve was in control and I was thankful. I am admitting to great personal weakness and without the sleeve, I would have caved. Feeling grateful.

As the others have said, great job!! You should be proud of yourself. The only fast food I've done is Wendy's chili one time. I just remember the grease, and think God that probably would taste disgusting now! I used 2 do 2 double cheeseburgers plain. Can't imagine that now!

One time, I resisted the urge to go up to a McDonald's location from 6 pm to 3 in the morning 4 weeks after my sleeve was done. I finally got on to the car and sobbed my way to a McDonald's drive tru.. got the burger and came back home. I took one bite in to that nasty thing and I was grossed out beyond the measure. I have not craved for fast food ever since.

But yeah , the sleeve surely does make you think twice about what and how much you are putting in your stomach. So many times I am tempted to eat this or that and I always end up asking myself. Am I eating this because I am hungry and need it or am I doing this out of boredom.. then I stop right there.. it's amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Lema

Great post @@Lema

I haven't even tried fast food (greasy burger fast food), and I hope that I can remain the way I am now, not wanting it.

Fast food burgers were always my nemesis. I was literally addicted. It was an emotional fix for me. I always felt comforted eating it. The sleeve is my shield against those feelings. hoping to have kicked that habit forever.

I spent the first week wondering what I had done to myself...now, 21 days later I can't believe I waited till I was in my 60's.

Today on the way home from work I was stuck in traffic and so thirsty so I pulled into dairy queen to get a small diet soda, I was actually ordering it before I remembered about the carbonation. I got an unsweetened ice tea instead. First time ever going to a drive thru and spending ZERO CALORIES!

When I was 3 weeks post op, it was Easter and a friend gave me a chocolate bunny.

I resisted it for one day, ate 1/2 of it the next day, and it made me so ill, and together with one of the worst reflux attacks that I have not touched chocolate since.

I could probably be OK with it now, but I choose not to. Don't want to tempt fate.

Have fruit and custard for Desserts now, instead of chocolate and loads of ice-cream.

So, yes, my sleeve saved me from myself :)

Great topic @@The New Kel