Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 YEARS vsg post op. revision twisted sleeve to bypass comin up!

SLEEVE VS BYPASS this is a personal decision in the beginning I was scared of having my intestines rearranged. Now I’m left with no choice!!!

Even with my issues and recent complications I still don’t regret my sleeve. I never knew LIFE would happen the way it did AND didn’t know I’d be affected by GERD so terribly.

I’ve wanted to be able to do this for a while and I thank God Bariatric Pal is STILL here 4 years later after my sleeve providing a community of release. Judgement or not it’s good to get it out!

I hate a lot of text so I’ll try to get straight to the point lol

HW-324 SW-312 LW-224 CW-250.3

Gastric Sleeve 11-6-2012

After my sleeve I was able to lose 100lbs in 10 months….Nov of 2013 my dad passed away from a sudden heart attack the day after his 60th birthday and at that time I fell into a SAD bad depression and instantly went from 224 to 236 and stayed there. I then had a divorce and my older sister passed away 9 months after my father to a heart attack as well. COMPLETELY DEVASTATED I was now at 258, I still decided I had to take my life back and I got back on track getting back down to 236.

Fast fwd to 2014- July of 2015 a new relationship (got WAY 2 comfortable) and I ended up pregnant. Sadly having a miscarriage last year which has brought me to where I am now.

After we lost the baby I was having horrible excruciating heart burn but no surgeon would give me a chance because I moved from Connecticut to South Florida they didn’t wanna mess with it.

I finally found a surgeon who sent me for an UPPER G.I. on 11/8/16 to see that my sleeve is slightly twisted up top adding to the GERD and heartburn pain and he described it as “very big” and said almost looks like a normal stomach. The pain I feel is in my chest but also under my left breast and it is SHARP and ive avoided and cut out ALL trigger foods. Even with Water. It hurts.badly.

I now have Cigna insurance whom requires nothing but a medically necessary letter and mental evaluation for revision surgery sleeve to bypass approval BUT I am still seeing a dietitian monthly and my last appointment is Dec 8th. We are submitting to insurance this Friday.

HAD to get this out because seeing those xrays I knew something was wrong, I STILL DO NOT REGRET MY SLEEVE. I am thankful for this journey and how far I’ve come. And I know with the bypass I will be out of pain, my twisted sleeve will be fixed and I have confidence ill hit my goal!!! Anyone else looking into revision December of 2016? I have to share because NOT EVERYONE is vocal about their journey but I have nothing to hide. Im already bariatric For life!! People have been evil and critical but I choose to dismiss them because I will never be 324 again and that I have to be thankful for!

@@FDclerical sorry to hear about your father, sister, and miscarriage. I know it's was difficult for you, and I'm glad you're working on getting on track. Did the doctor's know how your sleeve was twisted? This is my first time hearing about that and I'm glad you brought awareness to this situation. I'm rooting for you for your upcoming surgery date.

@@FDclerical sorry to hear about your father, sister, and miscarriage. I know it's was difficult for you, and I'm glad you're working on getting on track. Did the doctor's know how your sleeve was twisted? This is my first time hearing about that and I'm glad you brought awareness to this situation. I'm rooting for you for your upcoming surgery date.

thank you so much for reading and actually responding lol ! i never heard of it either until he mentioned it, then i started googling it and searching on here and its more common than i thought. due to my surgery being 4 years ago and my surgeon being in Connecticut i'm not sure WHEN it happened. but i have to say the sharp pain underneath my left breast AND a little pop feeling when i bend down a certain way, lifting, doing intense cardio and situps could contribute to my awareness. i don't think it's twisted all the way around but more like a "fold" if that makes sense. the x rays were a little confusing but my new surgeon now didnt really elaborate but he said he hopes that it alleviates the pain only and gerd and i'm feeling hopeful!

@@FDclerical Good luck! I had to revise to RNY from VSG because of severe reflux. Like you, I din't regret my sleeve at all. It allowed me to lose 130 lbs and I mourned its loss. RNY has been fine! I had gained about 12 lbs prior to my conversion and those pounds are gone and I'm continuing to lose. Getting off PPIs was worth it 100%!!!

@@FDclerical Good luck! I had to revise to RNY from VSG because of severe reflux. Like you, I din't regret my sleeve at all. It allowed me to lose 130 lbs and I mourned its loss. RNY has been fine! I had gained about 12 lbs prior to my conversion and those pounds are gone and I'm continuing to lose. Getting off PPIs was worth it 100%!!!

Thank u Stacy for your reply !!!!! The PPIs stopped working at this point the relief is very temporary so I can't wait to give them up for good and I'm so happy for you !!!

Sent from my Z981 using the BariatricPal App

@FDclerical@stacyrg2 did y'all have Gerd before your surgery? Just curious, cuz I have Gerd now, it's not severe, but I feel it if I eat more than 1200 cals a day.

@@FDclerical I am so sorry to hear of your tragedies.... I have the band... so i know nothing about all this... just wanted to say Good luck and i pray everything goes well

@FDclerical@stacyrg2 did y'all have Gerd before your surgery? Just curious, cuz I have Gerd now, it's not severe, but I feel it if I eat more than 1200 cals a day.

I only had it during my pregnancy and my daughter is 6 now !!!!! It was super mild before surgery almost never. Now it's unbearable

@@FDclerical I am so sorry to hear of your tragedies.... I have the band... so i know nothing about all this... just wanted to say Good luck and i pray everything goes well

Thank u sooo much !!!!

@@teedsg No. I had no GERD/Reflux prior to my VSG. It started about 8 months post surgery and got progressively worse. At its worst, I would get reflux from drinking Water or just breathing. It was unbearable.

Edited by stacyrg2

hey! i found my original thread @teedsg

Edited by FDclerical

Wow, this is a new concern for me...

So sorry to hear of all the loss in your life.

I had sleeve to bypass surgery Nov,22,2016.I am now recovering at home.On Phasee 2 diet.

My Hiatal Hernia failed,Acid reflux bad and stomach pushing upwards because of the failed hiatal Hernia.

This bypass surgery will fix that.I feel good also having had the sleeve surgery{2011}.It has enabled me to lose and keep a lot of weight off.I never did get to goal though because of emotional eating.

All of us have to get control of emotional eating and turn to more positive rewards.Also I have to get on a exercise program and stick with it once I recover.These 2 things are the hardest things for me to keep some control of.

The surgery alone doesn't fix the these issues and diet alone never works completely.This is hard work in every area of your life.

So sorry to hear of all the loss in your life.

I had sleeve to bypass surgery Nov,22,2016.I am now recovering at home.On Phasee 2 diet.

My Hiatal Hernia failed,Acid reflux bad and stomach pushing upwards because of the failed hiatal Hernia.

This bypass surgery will fix that.I feel good also having had the sleeve surgery{2011}.It has enabled me to lose and keep a lot of weight off.I never did get to goal though because of emotional eating.

All of us have to get control of emotional eating and turn to more positive rewards.Also I have to get on a exercise program and stick with it once I recover.These 2 things are the hardest things for me to keep some control of.

The surgery alone doesn't fix the these issues and diet alone never works completely.This is hard work in every area of your life.

Thank you Diana !!! Glad to hear that you are doing well !!!! Im excited for relief of this uncomfortable feeling all the time.

You are so correct! When I moved from Connecticut to Florida I lost post op care and support and grieved. This surgery is literally a tool and you have to consistently be aware and conscious of what you're consuming or else you can spiral right back out of control.

Im so happy and grateful that my hospital gives us a free gym membership for 3 months after surgery. I actually love working out and I've been able to keep alot of muscle still from staying in the gym. The scale going down is my drive and getting s Fitbit has also helped me as well !!!

Just had my last appointment with the dietitian and I'll be continuing with them and support groups because they really help keep me focused. Let us know how you're doing and ill check in on surgery day !!!!!!