Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone cheat on preop

I was lucky in that my surgeon doesn't do a strict pre-op diet. She recommends replacing 2 meals with Protein shakes, and having one "healthy" meal a day, plus "healthy snacks" as needed. I probably wasn't eating as healthy as she had in mind, but I did the best I could. She said she has found that unless someone clearly has fatty liver disease, the pre-op diets don't make that much difference as far as liver size or safety in surgery. The only thing she's definite on is not eating or drinking 12 hours before surgery which is standard so the stomach is empty since that's what's being operated on, plus anything on the stomach can cause problems with anesthesia.

The pre-op diet was the hardest part for me, because before surgery there's nothing to curb the cravings and hunger drives. Even just trying to keep things "healthy" and only have my shakes for Breakfast and lunch was hard. I certainly wasn't perfect in those two weeks, but I did the best I could. Doc said my liver was fine, there were no complications.

I agree with @@LipstickLady that we need to get away from the idea of "cheating". We're all adults here, it's not like we are getting away with anything like in school. Our choices have consequences, and my choices will be different from yours. I do not severely restrict carbs. I eat bread and rice and fruit. That's because I get violently ill in ketogenesis, and my doctor and I agree on my eating plan. Other people function best when they don't eat carbs, and/or are working with a surgical team that has a different approach (e.g. ketogenic).

I made the choice to eat chocolate cake this weekend for my birthday. In fact, I didn't track a single thing I ate this weekend, and didn't worry about Protein goals or calorie counts or anything else. What's different about now vs. before surgery is that I only ate what I wanted, and I listened to my body about when I was done. I even learned that for anything that sugary, more than about 2 bites makes me miserable. Won't do that again. I don't think I "cheated" or that I need to confess it. I made a choice. I don't regret it, and certainly don't need anyone's approval. Some people here might think I'm crazy for doing that during my weight loss period, but it's the choice *I* made, and I get to deal with the consequences. I figured I'd gain a pound or two, or at least stay where I was, but I actually lost a pound over the weekend. I attribute that to eating mostly on plan even though I didn't track, and not going overboard with the indulgence. It may catch up to me in the end, it may not. Either way, I made a choice.

Where I really think the concept of "cheating" is dangerous is when it comes to post-op diet advancement. "Cheating" there is about compromising safety and recovery, and is so much more than just "being naughty". Eating something you haven't been cleared for can have deadly consequences. I think that's why so many of the vets here are seen as being harsh and judgmental about "cheating".

As a nurse, I shudder every time I see someone talking about eating steak or tacos or whatever 3 days out or 1 week out or whatever amount of time out but they haven't been cleared for it by their docs. And I want to scream at people who then come behind that person and say "it's OK, you're just human", or worse "I did that, and I'm fine." It sends the absolute wrong message to other people who are struggling post-op and want to "cheat" on their diet advancement plan. I have treated patients who were in their late 90's and in excellent health who drank whiskey and ate bacon every day of their life. That doesn't mean drinking whiskey and eating bacon every day is a good health choice just because this one person did it and had no issues. One person can eat something with seeds 3 days out and have no apparent ill effects. Another can eat the same thing the same 3 days out and have a life-threatening abscess. And no, I'm not being dramatic. People have literally died or come close to it because they violated the diet advancement their doctor gave them.

The person who chose to eat something before their doc said OK doesn't need to be shamed, but they do need to be told that it could be dangerous and that they need to check with their doc's office at the very least to find out what signs or symptoms they should be looking for to indicate a serious problem. And the other newbies reading the thread need to get the message clear and loud that it's not "cheating" post-op, it's playing with your life. As much as I was desperate for something pureed or something to chew when I was on my liquid restrictions post-op, I dug down and figured out how to push through because it wasn't about "cheating" it was about my safety.

I know this thread isn't about post-op, but every time I see a vet getting bashed for giving what some see as "judgemental" advice it frankly hacks me off. There are vets who I'm sure cringe every time I post about eating carbs. Even if they posted judgemental things about my statements, I wouldn't bash them because they're operating from what they were taught by their teams, and what they learned through their experience. They may be right. They certainly have the experience of successful weight loss and maintenance, and I don't. Until I'm sitting at my goal weight 3 years post-op, I'm swinging in the dark at this. I try to make that clear when I post advice... that I'm just a beginner at this process. I have access to medical materials that inform me, but that doesn't replace direct experience. The people who have been successful at this have the most direct experience, and they need to feel free to share it without being bashed.

(stepping off the soap box)

\

I hope that works out for you! :D

@LipstickLady.... You should really consider another hobby... "no judgement"

Sent from Dee~Dee via BariatricPal

Gah I ate a baked chicken breast and salad yestarday on my liquid diet. I did take 3 colace after so we'll see what my surgeon says today

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Seems to me like you want others to talk about it so you feel better about what you did.. But me having something off plan PRE op is a whole lot different than you trying to rip your stomach open by eating chicken breast n salad when it hasn't healed yet and you're still on liquids.. Thats your choice it would scare me

Munky

Sooooo..... Did anyone ever have the, "what happens when you ASSUME things" talk with you???.. might just want to review it before you make public posts. Just a thought.

Wait. What was it you were saying about ASSuming? This is why I wished the previous poster good luck with the hunger thing. YOU might want to review it before you make public posts. ;)

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/381323-hmmm/

\

I hope that works out for you! :D

@LipstickLady.... You should really consider another hobby... "no judgement"

Gah I ate a baked chicken breast and salad yestarday on my liquid diet. I did take 3 colace after so we'll see what my surgeon says today

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Seems to me like you want others to talk about it so you feel better about what you did.. But me having something off plan PRE op is a whole lot different than you trying to rip your stomach open by eating chicken breast n salad when it hasn't healed yet and you're still on liquids.. Thats your choice it would scare me

Munky

Sooooo..... Did anyone ever have the, "what happens when you ASSUME things" talk with you???.. might just want to review it before you make public posts. Just a thought.

Wait. What was it you were saying about ASSuming? This is why I wished the previous poster good luck with the hunger thing. YOU might want to review it before you make public posts. ;)

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/381323-hmmm/

Unless you have some type of healthcare degree.... As I do... Im not going to entertain you further.... Move on.

I did the two week diet liquid prior to surgery I did eat about 3 or 4 times all way up until two days prior before the surgery but I only ate very minimal kept it small portions and I also told my doctor the day of surgery and he told me that I was perfectly fine and that he was happy that I lost 20 pounds before. No stress!!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Hell yeah I cheated. I paid dearly but I needed the sensation of freaking CHEWING..CRUNCHING. I even licked some lime chips then chewed them and spit em out. It was very satisfying and pathetic lol. I have no shame and I don't judge what u do to get through this. I have a sense of humor and I am not perfect nor am I Miss Self discipline. If I wer I wouldn't have gotten this sleeve

Sent from my LG-H631 using the BariatricPal App

I ate four pieces and zucchini about three bites of a double cheeseburger with my husband and I even ate some chocolate chip ice cream 4 days prior and a couple other things that I really love to eat that I knew I wouldn't be able to after surgery.....but the thing I'd I didn't over do it I listened to my stomach when I was full and I ate cucumber the day before but real early and a chicken wing...when I told my doc he said I was fine

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Unless you have some type of healthcare degree.... As I do... Im not going to entertain you further.... Move on.

Anyone can be anything on the Internet. ;)

That said, good attempt at deflecting from the actual topic at hand. And trust me, telling me to "move on" will get you no where.

That said, good attempt at deflecting from the actual topic at hand. And trust me, telling me to "move on" will get you no where.

Lmfao. She speaks the truth.

Sent from my SM-G930P using the BariatricPal App

I would love to see the progress 5yrs post op the ones that cheated vs. Strick ones. Unfortunately the ones that fall off dont really post on here anymore.

Every time one of these posts comes up, I think the exact same thing. I wonder what percentage of those who say that WLS didn't work for them 1-2 years out were "cheaters" pre-op, post-op, and beyond?

I would love to see the progress 5yrs post op the ones that cheated vs. Strick ones. Unfortunately the ones that fall off dont really post on here anymore.

Every time one of these posts comes up, I think the exact same thing. I wonder what percentage of those who say that WLS didn't work for them 1-2 years out were "cheaters" pre-op, post-op, and beyond?

Worked for me at 3.5 years out but I'm one of those non-human compliant people clones. :D

Worked for me at 3.5 years out but I'm one of those non-human compliant people clones. :D
I legit did not "cheat" on my preop diet. I haven't "cheated" on post op either, but I don't get enough Protein. I think that's more compliant that most and my weight loss numbers show it.

People eating nuggets, pork chops, and swedish fish should just give their surgery away to someone who will cherish the opportunity. Just my opinion.

It seems as if it can't be admitted in these groups and forums we are all human and make mistakes

Huh? The very fact of being here is an "admission" of being human and making mistakes or at least needing an aid [in the form of surgery] or aid.

Gah I ate a baked chicken breast and salad yestarday on my liquid diet. I did take 3 colace after

Resorting to colace or other products, including laxatives, for other than their intended purposes, is cause for concern. They are among the signs of serious eating disorders. I hope for your sake that they're not part of your history and that this was a one-time thing. If your goal was to put one over on the surgeon, you're the only one who may be affected.

Ptish-tosh. C'mon, folks, let's pretend to be grown-ups. This isn't the least entertaining.

Will "run along" do it? Just kidding you. You know it.

Ptish-tosh. C'mon, folks, let's pretend to be grown-ups. This isn't the least entertaining.

>Anyone can be anything on the Internet. ;)

Will "run along" do it? Just kidding you. You know it.

Tell me what to do and I am likely to do the opposite. ;) Ask my husband.