Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

justwaitin2b banded in October and a bit scared

Wow - Okay well I'm new to this forum, not really sure what I'm doing. I am 38 yrs old, and have 7 1/2 weeks until I am banded. I have read everything I can find on Lap Band surgery, and feel prepared medically............ but mentally - I am scared!! I am scared that if I put myself and my family through all of this, and it doesn't work - what then??? I am 114kgs (sorry not good with pounds - I'm Aussie) and am not very tall at 5ft 4....... putting my BMI at 45. I have waited 10 months for my insurance period to expire, so I can get this done, I have tried every other weightloss plan/diet known to man, and I have researched every detail............... why then do I feel like screaming or crying half the time, and excited the rest...................I feel lonely, and scared! I can't see myself losing the weight, and changing my life like so many of you have....... it does not seem real.

I don't have many close friends I can talk with, and the ones I do have don't understand.................. I'm hoping for support and motivation from this forum, and I look forward to getting to know you all - Cheers Karen

:girl_hug:Yes, My surgery date is Sept. 18., and I am really scared. I worried about making the right choice. I have been over weight for so long that I can not even picture myself thin. Also, I'm deathly scared of surgery, and of throwing up. But I just know I have to do something or I will have health problems soon. I also know that I want to be the best mother I can be for my young son. I try to think of the positive aspects of all this, and then I feel I can do it. I have about 200 lbs to lose. I am really hoping this works be me.

Hi Janet, Thanks for replying. I have 3 daughters - 9, 7 & nearly 4yrs, and I do think about the fact that this surgery will help ensure I am around for them. But I am the same, I can't remember being thin, hell - I can't remember my natural hair colour either!! lol.

There just seems to be so much to remember - don't eat this, make sure you do that, this for 2 weeks, that for 4 weeks, none of that, clear fluids, Protein fluids, mushies, Soup, blah, blah, blah.......... I mean, i love the knowledge, I am an information sponge, but I am so worried that I'll get something wrong, and that is on top of my fear of surgery (aneastetic mainly - they make me ill)........... but I do have quite alot of problems just starting to take hold, so I know I have to do this now! I worked out the pounds thing.... I am currently 250.8lbs and my goal weight would be 154lbs (not the same goal weight as in text books) but that is still over 100lbs to lose...............aaggghhhhhh, lets hold hands and do it together....ready, 1, 2 ,3 jump..........lol... keep in touch, Karen

Yes, we must stick together! My son is 6. I want to be able to take him on all the fun amusement park rides while he is still young. I want to be able to chase him around the house. I try to now, and I get so out of breath. :think I think I will be happier once I have the surgery, I'm just so scared going into it. I have never been very good at the diet thing, and I have a big sweet tooth. I am doing the pre - op diet now, which for me is all liquid. I just found out last week that I have gall stones so I have to get my galbladder taken out before the lap-band surgery:eek:. So I may be getting my lap-band later than I thought. I just keep telling myself that it is all worth it. I have the same fear about all the information and rules to this. I hope I don't mess it up. We can do this!!!

hiya again,

You betcha we can do it (see been reading everyones motivational posts on this site - am feeling better already) Nice to know that my feelings are real - that someone else feels the same way. That's a shame about your gall bladder, the Doc thought I had those, but it turns out that it is Non-Alcholic Fatty Liver Disease (sounds dreadful).... anyway means that I have a huge inflammed liver, probably caused by yo-yo dieting, it does hurt, sort of like a constant burn, and when it's playing up it's like a stitch. The surgeon will take a biopsy when I'm under for the band, but in most cases it will get better when I lose the weight. I see the surgeon next week, and start Optifast pre-op diet 4 weeks before the day. Where abouts are you? cheers K

Hi Karen, I am in Bakersdield, California, U.S.A.. That is about 2 hours south of L.A. I've been to Australia three times. My sister married an Aussie that she had met in Greese in a vacation. Now, they live here. We did travel some, but we were mostly in Sidney and the surrounding areas. I loved Australia. The country is so beautiful, and the people are so friendly. Where are you? I hope your kindey turns out to be alright.

Hi Karen,

I am an Aussie living in the USA, I had my first band done in Perth 10yrs ago, I had a slippage and had it out 3 yrs ago. When I got my band I was about 145kg and with the help of the band got down to 65kg, I was nervous about the whole process but once you start seeing the weight come off you wont be so worried, I have to say since i had the band removed my weight has gone back to 117kg and hope to be banded again sometime in November, feel free to e-mail me to chat, I miss Aussie and would love to chat with someone from "home"

devon_96@hotmail.com

Hi Karen,

I had the same feelings that you are having. I got banded last Friday, Aug. 31st. Just came back from Dr's and lost 5lbs. I was a little dissappointed, since I have just been on clear fluids. The dr. was thrilled and said that was great. Said alot of people don't start losing till their 1st fill. I have to learn to be more patient. I have to say I have surprised myself this week. I didn't know how I would be able to just have fluids and I have done fine. Can't say that I am not looking forward to eating some cottage cheese tonight and yogurt though. The nice feeling is knowing that I lost 5 lbs. and am not worrying about gaining it back. That is a first for me. I am doing this for me but there is a small part of me that wants to show family and friends and can really do this. The thought of failing can sometimes overshadow things but for the first time I really feel positive about what I am doing. This was the Best decision I ever made.

Please write back if you need to talk.

Regards,

Karen D

Hi Folks, So glad I found this forum ! I have less than 2 weeks to go and I am feeling very scared. I have one of the best surgeon's in the country. He has done more than 5,000 bariatric surgeries (both band and gastric) but I am still coming up with every bad thing I can think of in my mind ... I wish i could just let it go. I have no fear of the pain, I just do not like going under anesthesia.

I have been overweight for the last 20 years and have lost and gained probably a couple hundred pounds in between. Now I am getting close to border-line diabetic, as well as mild sleep apnea, High BP, and knee pain.

It's time ... I have to do something. All of my friends and family keep telling me how great things will be in the long run but I still can't get this fear out of my mind. I feel like I should get a grip. I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one feeling this way. ;)

<p>Karen, have the surgery and feel better!! I was so scared of making the commitment of something that would be FOREVER! I kept thinking,if I don't like this, what then. For me, eating slower and smaller portions is the key to the success of the LapBand. When the time comes to be able to eat everything, you will be so comfortable having the same thing everyone else is, only a smaller portion. And I find that because I eat slower, I'm done the same time my family is done with dinner. Don't be scared! You will love the results. You're doing the right thing for your health!</p>

Hey Janet,

I am in Bundaberg, Queensland. About 4 hours north of Brisbane. Not sure if you guys get Bundaberg Rum over there - but this is where we make it! (can't stand the stuff personally) I have never been to the states, but I remember as a kid, wanting to be like all the american kids on TV, so I used to wear my white sneakers with jeans, and dream of getting one of those shiny baseball or college jackets..........lol!! I'm 38 now with 3 kids, and my idea of holidays now are camping at the beach (mind you we travel in style - we have a pop-up caravan and a 4x4) So tell me more about you.....

Hey Devon - have sent you an email, I guess I'm worried that I won't see the weight come off - just like all the diets I have tried - they work for other people but not for me.............just feeling like a sad sack! Can't believe it's been a year since Steve Irwin died - he was a bit embarrassing as an ambassador, but an amazing guy none the less. Talk soon - Karen

Hey Karen De,

Wow - 5lbs!!! That is 2.5 kgs!!! That is great, in one week..... You go Girl!!!! Did you have to do a pre-op diet??? Over here we need to do 4 weeks on Optifast (not looking forward to that) which will be tricky with no restriction, but it is to help shrink the liver before the op, so the Surgeon has more room to do the band. Where are you from - this is great, getting to know people from all over, without leaving me home office! I could go on for hours, but I better give you a chance to reply first..........lol. Cheers Karen

Hey btlbailey,

(what does that stand for? you can tell I haven't had Breakfast - cause I immediately thought bacon-tomato-lettuce.....mmmmmm) Joking! I am so glad you posted - I wish I was getting banded in September, I think the sooner the better!!! but I need to wait out the insurance period............. crikeys, do I understand where your mind is at!! Everything goes at a hundred miles an hour when I get the wobbles up (that would be wobbles in my mind - not my body lol) I start stressing about all sorts of stuff, if anything bad happens, will my family blame me for making this choice? How the hell will this band finally help me lose weight, when all the will power in the world has failed before? and then obscure thoughts....like Shit - I'm gunna miss steak!!

Where are you from, your surgeon sounds very experienced..... talk soon - Karen