Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

justwaitin2b banded in October and a bit scared

There seems to be a few Aussies here, so I'd like to ask a few questions about our situation:

* Medicare doesn't cover this and neither does my hospital insurance (I got the basics to get out of the extra Medicare Surcharge), so what is the APPROXIMATE cost? That's the one thing I can't find on the net - they all say make an appointment (which I've done!!) and we'll tell you then, but I want to know NOW :o (hehe - patience is NOT my strong point).

* Many of the threads talk about a psych evaluation, saying that their insurance is dependent upon this. It seems as though this is only a requirement in the US - do we have a similar thing in Aus?

* Several people have talked about having to do a pre-op diet for anywhere from a month to 3 months. If I could stick to a diet without help for a whole 3 months, I wouldn't need the band to help! What's the story behind this - I don't have liver or heart problems, so is it still likely to be necessary?

Hi Fanny..cost will vary depending on what surgeon and anasthesiologist you use but as I understand it the surgeries in Australia cost between $2000-3000 if you have basic private health cover. I have my appointment on the 22nd so as soon as I know I'll post it on here!

Hey Karen - I agree, this thread had gone very quiet, glad to see you're keeping it going.

I am going much better than I was the other day when I last posted.

I am down 5.5kgs (12.1 pds), so I gotta be happy with that!!

This time in 2 weeks you will be officially in band land - YIPPEE - you're halo will be safe and secure and a new chapter will begin. Take care - love Rastis

Hi Everyone!

Sorry I was away for four days...and boy did I miss you guys! How is everyone doing?

Rastis I read you post about your bad day and my heart went out to you. I have those days now and have 3 weeks till banding. But like you we get through them, and I am so glad to hear you are doing better! You mentioned you don't know where your port is becuase your incision is the sore spot. Didn't you have it done Laprascopicly? Sorry for the bad spelling but I am sure you know what I mean lol.

Karen 2 weeks to gooooo! Yahoooo! You will be an old pro at it when I get banded the week after you! How is your pre surgery diet going. I have not seen you mention how you are doing on it? I have been on mine since Aug 8th. I think I have been doing very well considering how long I have been doing this! I did however have about 10 doritios yesterday and a bowl of meatball Soup I made. Could have been much worse lol. Today I am going to have 2 shakes and a nice green salad and some chicken Soup I made. Its funny I have not cooked for weeks and then while we were away I just wanted to cook so I made 2 Soups, one macaroni casarole, a mexican chicken dish and some fried chicken cutlets. So considering I only ate one bowl of soup I think I did ok! My hubby will finally get to eat some good for for a while. I am going to freeze a lot of it so he can have it for dinner.

I have not been weighed for 3 weeks and won't get weighed again until the 29th. I am hoping to be down 38 pounds by the time of my surgery...we shall see.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Best Wishes!

Hi Everyone - How are you all doing ??? I am hanging in there, I took what was supposed to be a nice relaxing vacation day and when I went to get my coffee this morning a little old lady plowed into the side of my car, she wasnt looking when she backed out of her spot :cry Oh well wear are all fine. I felt worse for her.

I can't wait to get my fill on the 24th, not that I am hungry, I am just anxious to see how this goes. My port area is a lot bigger than I though. When I wake up in the morning I still feel that hard area like I swallowed a baseball. Doc says it's fine - Support group tomorrow night, I want to take a poll on port location.

I've been thinking of you all on this thread (pre & post) wondering how everyone is doing. I should post more but I have found myself very fatuigued. When I get home from work all I wanna do is crash. I have been taking my Vitamins and eating healthy etc... I think my body is just still trying to adjust nutritionally.

I'll post more tomorrow after the meeting ... Feel good everyone !!!!

Carol

Hey, My name is Amy. I am new to the site. I have found so much good info here, and you all are so very supportive of each other on this thread, I thought I would chime in. I am from Texas, and scheduled for surgery on October 24th. It is getting sooooo close. I too, have tons of different emotions. I can't wait for the day to come, but I am a bit nervous as well. I can't wait to start the rest of my life. I told my dh that I plan on this ranking right up there with marriage, the birth of my son, and the pending adoption of my little guy. I look forward to getting to know all of you better. I now have band buddies. how cool is that!!!!

Welcome Aboard Amy ! I lived in San Atonio for a while, and I have friends in Grand Prarie. I am so glad I found this forum before my surgery. I was freaking out quite a bit myself ... I got more info and support here than from my own doc. Not that he isn't great, but I had so many questions and emotions going on, it was nice to talk to some people that had been through it on the patient end.

I am almost 4 weeks post op now and it all went much easier than I ever expected. I don't want to jinx myself but so far so good ! The waiting and the pre-surgery was the hardest part. The Op itself was a breeze. Still a little sore and tired from time to time but I am definitely loosing.

I think adjusting mentally has been more of a challenge. I am not running to food for comfort anymore. I quit smoking ... can't drink beer anymore(LOL) So as soon as I am cleared, I'm going to have start working out (this otta be interesting). No but honestly ... it is exciting to see that scale actually moving in the "other" direction. You'll do great ! I am able to tolerate just about anything, just in small portions. I don't feel deprived or nauseaus. It may be early but I truly beleive it's the best thing I ever did for myself !!!!

Keep postin with any questions or concerns you have, because the members on this board have been SUPER !!!!

:gluck: Carol

Thanks so much carol. I live in Pittsburg, Tx. It is a very small town in east Texas (about 2 hours east of Dallas). My surgeon is wonderful as well, and I am very confident in her, however, you are right, there are so many questions and emotions connected with this whole thing and you don't want to call every day. Today is my 6th day of the preop diet, and I am really starting to adjust mentally to not being able to eat solid food. It's a good thing, because it doesn't look like I will be seeing solids for a long time. Evening is the most difficult, because I am used to fixing supper each night. Good ole east texas cookin. My dh is super. We went to Sam's and bought tons of frozen foods for he and my 2 boys. He has asked me not to cook during all of this, realizing how hard it can be. I kinda feel bad because that food is not good for them, but neither was the stuff I was cooking. Tony (dh) is very excited and sees this as a change for our whole family. He is thin and has always been more health conscious than I. Why wouldn't he be excited his wife is fixing to be FINE again!!!!!!! We were high school sweethearts, so he knew me when I was MUCH smaller. Anyway, I am so excited about this site. I am glad things are going well for you. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

OMG!!!!!I just blew it. Here I am thinking I am used to the whole liquid diet thing and I just ate not 1 but 2 corn dogs when I fed my boys supper. I have to say they were GOOD!!! But now I feel just aweful. I wanted to do the whole liquid diet for 2 weeks without getting off at all. Here it is day 6 and I just jumped off the deep end. Only liquids for me from here out!!

Don't beat yourself too much renewedhope! This isn't easy, or else we all wouldn't be getting the band now would we? Just start anew tomorrow and stay strong -- you can do it!!!

Jenne

Hi Ann - I did have it done laproscopically, but they still made 6 incisions. Five of them are between 1/2 - 2 cm in length and my sore one (which is where the port is - I can feel it) is about 6cm in length.

It's still a bit tender, but I started back at work today (in a Kindy with 30 children), and I feel exhausted at the moment, but I guess I will get back into the swing of things soon.

Hi Amy, welcome to our band family - like you, I found great support in this web site. I have family that are very supportive, but unless you are going through it - I don't think they fully understand how we feel (as much as they try too).

Cheers all - Love Rastis

Corn dogs are weinnies on a stick with a cornbread like breading around them.

Thanks for the replies. Rastis, I think you are totally right about people not understanding, even if they try, unless they have been through this. That is what's so great about this site.

it is 4:30a here. Surgery is a week from tomorrow, and i am up with my 11 month old. Temp is 103.6. No other syymptoms. I hope we are not fixing to start passing some virus around here. I took him to the doctor yesterday, but he looked fine except his temp then was 101.2. If still running fever I take him back for bloodwork this morning. We will be going back. Poor little guy!!

Pray that I stay wel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (is that selfish)

I soooo don't want to get sick this close to surgery.

Amy - I don't think praying to stay well is selfish at all. Like I said I work in a Kindy (3-4 yr olds) and the week before I went in for surgery the children and other 2 staff all started to get gastro, and I thought as long as I don't get it all will be fine. I think we have waited for so long, that we don't want anything to stop us from making it to surgery - so no I don't think you're being selfish at all.

I hope you little man gets better soon!! - Rastis