Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Biggest Loser - good or bad?

For those who watch The Biggest Loser, do you think it is a helpful television program or sets people up with unreal expectations for weight loss and exercise goals? Even though I know that losing 8+ pounds a week isn't going to happen for people who can't devote every minute to exercise, I still think it is a motivating program. And, for some reason, I really like Jillian Michaels. It doesn't feel exploitive like Fat March or other reality shows. What do you guys think?

I think it is a good show, but for people in the real world it is more work because a lot of people don't have personal trainers and people who give them a meal plan. I think they give them the tools when they leave the show to incorporate what they have learned into their lives. I hope they did keep it off.

I think it's good... but, from what I remember watching it before I was banded, it made me feel bad because none of the women were even nearly as heavy as I was, and they all (the women) lose 5lbs+ every week. (never mind the men, losing 10+ lbs a week!) If that doesn't prove that men lose faster and easier than women, what does!? You don't see any 3-400lb women making it on the show!

Anyways, it's nice to watch and see how they change, but it can be disheartening to see people with all the advantages (not having to work, chefs, and nothing to do all day but work out) do something that you wish you could... and that you probably could do too, if you had those things at your disposal.

I think it's good... but, from what I remember watching it before I was banded, it made me feel bad because none of the women were even nearly as heavy as I was, and they all (the women) lose 5lbs+ every week. (never mind the men, losing 10+ lbs a week!) If that doesn't prove that men lose faster and easier than women, what does!? You don't see any 3-400lb women making it on the show!

i agree argon,

the heaviest MALE was just a tad over my starting weight, made me feel awful.

i think it does set unrealistic expectations regarding loss. sure, they lose 5-15+ pounds a week, but they really work out all day (almost literally)... i know Kai from a season or 2 ago keeps a blog on myspace, she has had some really good insights...

i will watch tonight and probably the rest of this season. i am very happy that jillian michaels is back. i did buy her book and it's pretty good.

Ooh, I didn't realize it was on tonight! I just checked my guide on my cable, and it says "Biggest Loser/Keep the Weight Off?" - revisiting 13 past contestants, who weigh in and report on their progress since the show. Alison Sweeney hosts. (boooo!!!!)

So... interesting. I don't know who hasn't been successful at keeping it off would want to come on tv and weigh in and show everyone the fact, (unless they're contractually bound to)... so I'm sure it'll all be successes.

[rant on]

From my personal POV this is one of the worst sorts of "reality" TV. It takes advantage of people who are in a desperate situation for others' entertainment. Sure, people who have attention-whore disorder and don't mind parading their personal pain in public can lose a lot of weight with all the help they are given. But what they go through has less than no bearing on anyone's real life. And I am 100% positive that, as with the general population, 95% of those contestants will gain all of their weight back and more over time.

I can't imagine what would make it worth going through that process so publicly and having the experience follow me around the rest of my life. If boot-camp style tactics worked permanently, I'd have been able to avoid a life of morbid obesity after "fat camp" at age 10.

[/rant over]

I love the Biggest Loser! I know it isn't totally realistic considering I can't devote 6-8 hours a day to exercise, but the results make me hopeful.

While I realize its not realistic that your every day average person could spend that time and dedication to working out I still find the show inspiring. I dont care if they do gain all the weight back plus some, while I am watching the show it makes me want to work out harder and eat better and I will take inspiration any where I can get it!

I also enjoy seeing the before and afters as much as I like to look at them on this site.

I really like The Biggest Loser. I think it definitely gives people hope. I also enjoyed Fat March too. All reality shows are exploitive in one way or another, but these people going on there already know that.

I love the show! They do workout a lot but I don't think its all that more extreme than what a lot of fitness junkies do - even at our local health club there are people that workout several hours every day. I wish I had that much determination. :)

I love the show! They do workout a lot but I don't think its all that more extreme than what a lot of fitness junkies do - even at our local health club there are people that workout several hours every day. I wish I had that much determination. :)

I wish I had that much time!

I like the show, and I like Jillian, and am glad she is back. If I had the money to have a personal trainer, and be able to take off work I would be loosing allot faster

I do enjoy the show, and people need to understand that it TV. SOme have problems seperating the 2.

Maybe if all of you devoted a little more of your TV watching time to exercise you wouldn't be in this situation. You don't have the "time" or "determination" for exercise but you have "time" for TV and the "determination" to get a Lap-Band. Seriously this is an hour long show... sometimes two hours... and you are here complaining that in the real world you can't realistically do this, get real. Want to try and separate TV from Reality....try "separating" your rear from the couch your "reality" wouldn't be so large...

Maybe if all of you devoted a little more of your TV watching time to exercise you wouldn't be in this situation. You don't have the "time" or "determination" for exercise but you have "time" for TV and the "determination" to get a Lap-Band. Seriously this is an hour long show... sometimes two hours... and you are here complaining that in the real world you can't realistically do this, get real. Want to try and separate TV from Reality....try "separating" your rear from the couch your "reality" wouldn't be so large...

You know....people have the right to discuss things on this board and other threads that they want to discuss. You dont know any of us personally, so why would you get on this thread and spout your mouth off???

I think that is pretty rude . Each of us have our own battles, and we have the band as a tool to assist us with our losses.......You need to SEPERATE YOUR ASS FROM THE TREADS IF YOU ARE GOING TO BASH THE PEOPLE ON HERE..PERIOD!!!!