Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dehydration question

This is going to sound stupid, I know... but how do I know if I am too dehydrated, like dehydrated enough to call the doctor? I am 10 days post-op and just feel like I cannot drink enough. I'm sipping all the time, it seems, but among other things I still have a terribly dry mouth- dry enough to make it hard to carry on a conversation without sipping before speaking. What symptoms of dehydration would necessitate a call to the doctor?

I think in these first weeks ANYTHING that concerns you - you should call.

did you have the dry mouth before or is that new?

I was struggling with some dehydration this week due to having a bad cold, and yesterday thought I would need to go in for some IV but was able to get it turned around and I feel much better hydrated. I also had a dry mouth and a certain headachy feeling along with my eyes feeling dry.

before surgery i carried a gallon jug with me daily and made it my mission to finish, and though we gotta drink slower now i still have my gallon jug and drink from it to keep from dehydrating i also drank Powerade and gatorade to to replenish

but i also did research and apparently the cant get enough to drink thing is normal... its ur tummy healing from what i read.

I used a shot glass and sipped on it all the time. It was a reminder to sip slow. Don't need it now BTW, only for the first couple of weeks.

Check the color of your urine, if it's too dark, then you're dehydrated. There are color charts on the net that may help you out. Dry mouth, confusion, headache, irritability, being tired are some symptoms. I have problems sometimes because I have to take Water pills due to an existing edema problem so I have to drink tons now to make up for that. I wish you well, please go to the ER if you do find it hard to think or you develop some of the severe symptoms. Dehydration can put your kidneys and health at risk.

I am 20 days post op and Inhabe had to get fluids twice. Both times I had dry mouth for 3 days and got super light headed. No energy and dark urine. After I get fluids I feel better. I am struggling really bad with my Fluid intake. It makes me nauseous even with the smallest sips. I usually only get in about 24 oz a day :( It makes me super emotional and feeling like a failure.

ChelsiCurrently

I am 20 days post op and Inhabe had to get fluids twice. Both times I had dry mouth for 3 days and got super light headed. No energy and dark urine. After I get fluids I feel better. I am struggling really bad with my Fluid intake. It makes me nauseous even with the smallest sips. I usually only get in about 24 oz a day :( It makes me super emotional and feeling like a failure.

ChelsiCurrently

You aren't a failure! You are healing, and we all heal at a different rates. Ask if there's anything you can take for the nausea, to help you be able to get more Fluid in. Keep your chin up... and remember that while you might not be having a "textbook" recovery, you are NOT a failure.

What happens when you pinch the skin on the back of your hand and let go? Does it go back to normal or does it stay pinched? That is one indication of how dehydrated you are. The color of your urine is another.

What happens when you pinch the skin on the back of your hand and let go? Does it go back to normal or does it stay pinched? That is one indication of how dehydrated you are. The color of your urine is another.

No, it stays pinched. I just found that test last night and checked mine, then compared with my husband's. I'm dehydrated, I bet. I am working on the fluids.. but I really thought I was getting enough in. Apparently not. I've had 28oz this morning, between my Breakfast shake and Water, and it's almost time for my lunch shake. After lunch, I'll swap onto Powerade Zero for awhile, for the electrolytes, as I've been having issues with my leg muscles "fluttering." I'm working on it... :)

Low blood pressure

Inability to focus

Hallucinations

Honestly, if you are that dehydrated, washroom visits are not going to be too fun. Fix it before it costs you tears.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App