Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Here - Questions about WLS in Mexico

Hi all. This is my first time posting here, although I've been reading for a long time and have learned so much from this site. I'm considering having WLS in Mexico, as my insurance doesn't cover it at all. A local surgeon quoted me $22k for the surgery here, so I'm looking into other options. I do have some concerns about traveling for surgery though...

- What happens if there's a complication during surgery or right afterwards - do the MX hospitals featured on this site have the capability to handle life-threatening complications, or would they have to transfer me to another facility? I read something (on this site, I think) where someone mentioned taking an ambulance across the border from Tijuana to San Diego. Does that really happen? It sounds so unsafe. This is one of my biggest concerns.

- To have surgery in Mexico, I'd be traveling from/to the East Coast of the US. Flying to San Diego is no problem, but how difficult would that be flying back soon after having surgery? Is it safe to be sitting for that long after surgery? (just thinking ahead in case moving around is difficult while in the air).

- I have the money to pay to have surgery in my hometown, but obviously the cost difference is pretty huge so I'm looking into traveling for it. Am I nuts for considering traveling when I can afford to have it done at home? My insurance will cover some of the pre-op testing, but nothing else.

- Is there a difference in the quality of medical care in the feature Tijuana facilities versus the US? I'm most concerned about having a complication that they can't handle...I have young children and that's what scares me the most.

Thanks in advance for any input you have. :)

@@northernislandlife I have had surgery in Mexico twice. The first time was for plastics after having lost 90 pounds "on my own" and the second time was for VSG after I'd gained most of the weight back. Throughout both experiences, I received an amazing level of care. I never feared for my health or safety the entire time. There are world class surgeons and facilities in Mexico and it's important to do your research to make sure you choose the best options for yourself.

I didn't experience any major complications, but I did require a blood right after my plastic surgery was completed. That surgery was performed in a surgical center, so they did not have blood stores on site, but they were able to quickly have blood delivered by the Red Cross. I was never in any danger. Significant blood loss isn't an issue with WLS though, so you shouldn't run into anything like that anyway.

As for flying home post-op, I too live on the East Coast (NY). For the return trip, I recommend no more than one layover and make sure that you have plenty of time between flights to get to you next gate. I also recommend an aisle seat so you can get up and walk a little bit frequently. I would get up and walk every time the drink cart was clear of the aisle. You won't be eating anything yet on your trip home, but you can ask the flight attendant for a cup of Water and a cup of apple juice and you can mix them (don't try straight juice so soon post-op).

For the flight out to San Diego, you will likely be on your pre-op diet, probably the clear liquid portion for the last 24 hours. I brought Syntrax nectar Protein powder and a collapsible funnel. I bought a bottle of Water inside the airport and use the funnel to mix in the Protein Powder.

The logistics of getting across the border are pretty easy. A shuttle will pick you up at the airport in San Diego and take you across. Just be sure to have a passport or passport card. Some people are able to cross the border with a birth certificate and driver's license, but both Mexico and the US require passports or passport cards by law. So you are risking getting held up if you don't have one.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions you might have!