Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I wonder how a pureed burger would be??

Contemplating a turkey pureed burger now - can't think of any way it'd be edible. I go to mushys next week. Hmm.
I'm wondering - maybe some ground turkey with a tish of thousand island dressing? could be reminiscent of a big mac?? LOL I might give it a try!
@@Christinamo7 has a recipe like that - not sure for what stage.
I do modify a recipe online for a "Big Mac Salad"

I use my ground sirloin/ground turkey breast blend, heat some up and melt cheddar on it. I put a very small amount of shredded romaine lettuce in my wee bowl, then add the meat/cheese and top it with a few drops of thousand island dressing, one green onion chopped up and one pickle chopped up and add some sesame seeds. really hits the spot

there is no reason you couldn't use all ground beef or all ground turkey depending on your personal preference. for my plan I was allowed all this after 4 weeks.

Awesome. I've never loved big macs, but will definitely modify this in a few months when I can and am craving a burger!

Literally my doc told me a story of a lady that ate a pork chop 1 week post op and it almost KILLED HER! not killed her pain wise. It literally almost killed her. It scares me enough to follow my plan! Glad everything worked out for you. Not following their recommendations could be catastrophic

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The first surgeon I considered told me a story about a man who ate bar-b-q soon after surgery. He ended up with a leak.

The surgeon I decided to use has a support group run but a nurse that works with him. She has been working with bariatric surgeons for 3 years, during that time she has only seen 1 leak, and it was also someone who ate solid food before they were supposed to.

A leak can kill you. Many people are hospitalized for weeks after a leak, more surgery, etc.

I am pre-op but I can tell you those stories scared me to death!!

Literally my doc told me a story of a lady that ate a pork chop 1 week post op and it almost KILLED HER! not killed her pain wise. It literally almost killed her. It scares me enough to follow my plan! Glad everything worked out for you. Not following their recommendations could be catastrophic

The first surgeon I considered told me a story about a man who ate bar-b-q soon after surgery. He ended up with a leak.

The surgeon I decided to use has a support group run but a nurse that works with him. She has been working with bariatric surgeons for 3 years, during that time she has only seen 1 leak, and it was also someone who ate solid food before they were supposed to.

A leak can kill you. Many people are hospitalized for weeks after a leak, more surgery, etc.

I am pre-op but I can tell you those stories scared me to death!!

Ditto. Scares me to not even take 1 bite before it's time!

As previous posters have mentioned, don't think of this as a diet. It's a lifestyle change and you are essentially giving your relationship with food and eating a total overhaul!

Following your surgeon's instructions post-op is really exceedingly important, because as people have mentioned, your tummy is still healing. Forcing food into it that it isn't ready for yet can cause staples to pop, tears, blockages, and all sorts of scary, scary things to happen that will make your recovery time longer and more painful.

It is very difficult to deal with lack of variety when it comes to food post-op, so I feel you there! The World According to Eggface and Bariatric Foodie have some great recipes and ideas for noms that are suitable for various stages post-op so that you can whip up something tasty and different!

Here are links to their sites:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.bariatricfoodie.com/

Lots of luck!

Xx,

Polara <3

Thank you this is very helpful.

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

Here is a site that has information consistent with what my surgeon told me: http://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-big-gastric-sleeve-diet-guide/

Hopefully the information helps someone.

@@shani1970,

First, don’t beat yourself up over it. Just use it as a learning experience. Be grateful that your body is talking to you by sending you pain signals to tell you that you should not have eaten the pork chop. And…listen! Get in the habit of listening to your body, and it will tell you a lot of useful information that can help you lose more weight and feel better in the short and long term.

As other posters have said, eating foods before you are ready for them can lead to serious problems, such as a leak. That should help motivate you to follow your surgeon’s post-op diet instructions. They are there for a reason. I know it feels like forever, but you are going to be back to eating solid foods again soon. Then you will have the rest of your life to enjoy those lean and healthy proteins!

You can also use this as a learning opportunity in messing up, forgiving yourself, and getting right back on track. You will make many, many mistakes in the future. The mistakes themselves are not important on their own. It is how you handle them and move forward that counts.

Hope you feel better soon!

I'm 7 days post op and was starving so I ate a pork chop. I'm in so much pain now. Can someone please tell me how bad this could be if I cheat again.

Sent from my C6725 using the BariatricPal App

Wow!! I don't see how you got it down. I'm 5wks postop and still on liquids :(

Sent from my KFJWI using the BariatricPal App

I'm 7 days post op and was starving so I ate a pork chop. I'm in so much pain now. Can someone please tell me how bad this could be if I cheat again.

I think that's gonna be me, don't worry. You aren't alone.

I have a stricture. I was on liquids/puree' until month three. YOU WILL LIVE. It sucks, but it is worth it.

I have a stricture. I was on liquids/puree' until month three. YOU WILL LIVE. It sucks, but it is worth it.
Sucks about the stricture big time sucks.

My surgeon did a swallow test before we could leave the hospital so fingers crossed I'm good there - probably me overthinking but just wanted to see if anyone smarter than me had a genius Protein idea.

I saw Jello on unjurys site - when I pick it up Monday, I think I will make some.

At least I'm not eating filet mignon and going "but I was hungry!!!!!"

Edited by rolosmom7

You need to stop thinking of your post op eating plan as a "diet"....it's not! it's a prescription. It's not something you can cheat on. Most of your stomach has been removed and what's left is being held together with staples. It's not had time to heal and that's the reason you're not supposed to eat solid food. If your stomach leaks food and stomach acid into your abdomen it will cause an abscess and can very quickly become life threatening......so eating solid food too soon is like not taking a prescribed medication that is necessary in order for you to heal..........With this surgery it's hard to picture what your insides look like because you don't have a big incision on the outside.....all you have are the little incisions that look mostly healed. But those are not the incisions you need to be worried about. The whole length of your stomach has a huge staple line that is red and swollen....if you haven't watched a video of the actual surgery I encourage you to go to YouTube and watch the actual surgery so you can have a clear picture of what was done to you. So perhaps next time you feel hungry you'll be able to make a better choice.

In the meantime you need to check in with your surgeon's office and let them know what you ate and how you're feeling so they can determine if anything needs to be done....

I wish you the best. Good luck.

Great reply!!

@@shani1970 - I did the same thing but mine was the toppings off of a piece of pizza. It was awful! I thought I was going to die. If you look back about 5 weeks ago I posted about it! I got a lot of support from the family on here, don't beat yourself up, push forward, and remember that pain when you think of making that mistake again!

You got this!

Tami_lynn

I did the same exact thing you did. I was about 4 weeks out and bought pizza for my god daughter and her brother, I thought, well I'll just eat the toppings..oh God..no, I was sick, couldn't hardly swallow. Threw up foamy gunk...it will be a very long time before I do that again, if ever...lesson learned.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using the BariatricPal App