Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Age, menopausal and under active thyroid

Hi everyone. This is my first message. Just a bit about myself - I am 52, menopausal and under active thyroid. I have been overweight and on diets my whole life. I have had some success. In 2012 I was at my heaviest (313lbs) and managed to lose about 44lbs. By 2015 I had regained 22lbs. I had two very special weddings occurring later in the year and that gave me the motivation to loose the weight again but it was soooo slow. I tried following the same Weight Watchers program which had previously been successful but I had little results. Then I went onto shakes again with little results. It got to the point that I was practically starving myself just to see the scales go down. Problem was, the moment I at a proper meal the weight would automatically go back up. I have always been a high achiever and I knew the need to get my weight Down for my future health. This caused me to hate myself so much because I could not understand why I could not control my weight. I was constantly telling myself and my doctor that I wasundereating but still not losing weight the negative self talk would say "you obviously aren't doing it right and need to try harder".in the end my doctor did some blood tests which showed that I have under active thyroid (Hashimotos disease).That was 11 months ago and my levels are still not stabilised. It was also at this time that I became menopausal which also impacted on my ability to lose weight.This is when I started researching WLS and in particular the sleeve. Initially, I was horrified to think about having so much of my stomach removed and the long term health effects but then I met a woman who had the sleeve done two years ago and like everyone on this forum said it was the best thing she has ever done. So, I made an appointment with a surgeon realising that I can never lose so much weight and keep it off without the sleeve tool.This woman was my age and the same weight. I understand that everybody is different but she said that she has lost97lbs just as her doctor had suggested. So I guess I was expecting a similar result based on her situation and everything I had read on this forum. However, when I spoke to the surgeon last night, he said that I should expect a 44 to 55lb loss due to my age, thyroid and menopause. When I told about my friends success, he said there is no way I would achieve those results. I guess now I am wondering if that loss is worth undergoing such major surgery and weather the experienced sleevers out there have experienced any problems with weight loss due menopause and thyroid disease and whether my disappointment at the surgeons weight loss is reasonable? Sorry this has become a long winded saga. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Ovaw8ovathinka

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

@@ovaw8ovathinka

Drs don't know everything. Plenty of people here exceed their Dr goals. I think that even if you "only" lost 50 lbs, that would be a huge benefit to you, just because you won't be gaining. You would also be able to maintain that 50 pound loss a lot easier.

@@ovaw8ovathinka, I have a similar story. I am also menopausal and have an underactive thyroid. I went to a functional nutritionist for 2 1/2 years, only to lose 20 lbs, 17 of which were in the initial 3 week detox. I went through tests and labwork to determine that I was suffering from adrenal exhaustion and had intolerances to all grain and cow dairy. For 2 1/2 years I stayed on the plan (no grain, no dairy, mostly paleo) and lost another 3 lbs, for a total of 20 lbs. lost. One day, I stepped on the scale and I was 199. I was so happy! I never saw that number again. In fact, my weight steadily went up until I gained back every ounce of my weight plus 10 more pounds. I was extremely frustrated! My brother had undergone duodenal switch 6 years prior and my cousin (who was my age and had gone through most of the same as I had, including the nutritionist, intolerances and resulting diet) had recently decided to have WLS. I was seeing, and they were telling me, that it was the best decision they ever made. Based on the statistics and their success I finally made the choice to do the same. I was so afraid that I wouldn't see any weight loss, or that it would be so little that it would not be worth it. But I am here to tell you that I am losing weight, despite being menopausal, despite the thyroid condition, and despite my fears.

I have seen posts from many people on here whose surgeons have told them they won't lose as much weight as they anticipate, based on the averages. Yet they have, and sometimes much more. Remember that what they are telling you is based on averages. The reason you can't rely on the averages is that for every person who follows the plan and loses a significant amount of weight, there is another person who continues to eat the wrong foods and doesn't lose at all. The best thing to do is to leave the surgery up to your surgeon, and YOU take responsibility for the results! We all start out so beaten down by our many failed efforts, and our confidence is very low, but you've got this! Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't.

My apologies for such a long post! :)

I am 57 post menopausal, graves disease and Hoshimoto. I was told I could and would lose but it might be a little slower. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck

Sent from my VS986 using the BariatricPal App

Thanks OutsideMatchinside for your advice. I knew from reading all these posts that plenty of people here have exceeded their Drs goals and I guess that's why I was a bit deflated by his estimates, hence the use of "only". Part of me expected that these Drs would be doing their utmost to to sell the surgery to me but this guy certainly didn't do that and just made me feel flat and doubt my decision. I know Drs these days are reluctant to say what they think due to the fear of being sued and stress that it has to be my decision but I had just expected a bit of support, encouragement and positivity about my decision which I didn't get. At least I can get all that from these forums. Thanks again.

@@ovaw8ovathinka, I have a similar story. I am also menopausal and have an underactive thyroid. I went to a functional nutritionist for 2 1/2 years, only to lose 20 lbs, 17 of which were in the initial 3 week detox. I went through tests and labwork to determine that I was suffering from adrenal exhaustion and had intolerances to all grain and cow dairy. For 2 1/2 years I stayed on the plan (no grain, no dairy, mostly paleo) and lost another 3 lbs, for a total of 20 lbs. lost. One day, I stepped on the scale and I was 199. I was so happy! I never saw that number again. In fact, my weight steadily went up until I gained back every ounce of my weight plus 10 more pounds. I was extremely frustrated! My brother had undergone duodenal switch 6 years prior and my cousin (who was my age and had gone through most of the same as I had, including the nutritionist, intolerances and resulting diet) had recently decided to have WLS. I was seeing, and they were telling me, that it was the best decision they ever made. Based on the statistics and their success I finally made the choice to do the same. I was so afraid that I wouldn't see any weight loss, or that it would be so little that it would not be worth it. But I am here to tell you that I am losing weight, despite being menopausal, despite the thyroid condition, and despite my fears.

I have seen posts from many people on here whose surgeons have told them they won't lose as much weight as they anticipate, based on the averages. Yet they have, and sometimes much more. Remember that what they are telling you is based on averages. The reason you can't rely on the averages is that for every person who follows the plan and loses a significant amount of weight, there is another person who continues to eat the wrong foods and doesn't lose at all. The best thing to do is to leave the surgery up to your surgeon, and YOU take responsibility for the results! We all start out so beaten down by our many failed efforts, and our confidence is very low, but you've got this! Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't.

My apologies for such a long post! :)

Hi Kimini, Thanks for your reply and no post is ever too long. May I ask what WLS you had, when, and what your stats have been like (no probs if you don't want to)? Fear of surgery, having never had any n my life, was a big fear when I first considered getting the sleeve, but I had decided prior to seeking the surgeons opinion that the outcome would all be worth it. So I was feeling very positive about my decision and expected a bit of positivity from the surgeon which was disappointing and made me think is he trying to tell me that I am making a wrong choice.?? Probably just overthinking it all! I realised they are talking averages but he was rather adamant that I would not get below his estimate and didn't even try to encourage me by saying "this is what I think but you may lose more as many other have" or something similar. Just made me doubt myself and my decision. I was feeling all so positive about my decision and felt very flat and uncertain after the consult. As you suggested, In my mind I had made my decision to be responsible for losing the weight and just needed a surgeon to do the surgery. I am going to get a second opinion from another surgeon just to put my mind at ease. Maybe it is just this surgeons demeanour but I know he has very positive reviews about how kind and gentle he is. I beat myself up daily about how I let my weight get to this point and why I just can't lose the weight myself and feel as though I have been on a diet my whole life. I told my doctor that I would just like to feel 'normal' and not have my weight consume me and my life! Thanks for listening.

I just had sleeve surgery one week ago today. In the last 3 weeks I've lost 15 lbs. Being 57 I had to decide to continue to be unhealthy in all aspects or to try to change the things I can. I can't change my thyroid but I can try to change my physical life, physical health and emotional wellness. It is a very hard, very scary decision. It got to the point where doing nothing was scarier. Hang in there.

Cathy

I just had sleeve surgery one week ago today. In the last 3 weeks I've lost 15 lbs. Being 57 I had to decide to continue to be unhealthy in all aspects or to try to change the things I can. I can't change my thyroid but I can try to change my physical life, physical health and emotional wellness. It is a very hard, very scary decision. It got to the point where doing nothing was scarier. Hang in there.

Cathy

Congrats Cathy on your decision and your success. I seem to sway from being very positive like you about my reasons, to then questioning myself. I guess that is what a lifetime of self hating does to your confidence. hope you will keep me updated on your journey? Thanks for the support.

Hi ovathinka. I'm not exactly sure what stats you are referring to, but im 50, and I had the sleeve on Aug 19, so I'm just a month out. Since then, I have lost 24 lbs, and I'm feeling really confident I'll lose a lot more. I really haven't had any other surgeries either, and I really felt like I went through the whole process on autopilot. Maybe because I didn't want to overthink it? I don't know, but now that I'm on the other side, I have no regrets. The only other experience I've had with a surgeon was when I got my wisdom teeth out. I remember asking the surgeon about the clause in the paperwork acknowledging that I could die from the procedure. Like you, I was expecting reassurance... Maybe something like, it's very rare... this is a routine procedure... etc. What he said to me was, "we could just cancel this whole thing and I could go play golf." It was then I learned that surgeons don't say what you want to hear. Good bedside manner and a reassuring tone/attitude is not necessarily required for a surgeon. So get that second opinion, but remember, the surgeon is not really there to reassure you. That's not really his job. I think we all want to be free of the dieting/losing/regaining rollercoaster and I feel thats what the surgery provides. I hope this is helpful to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Trust me I went back and forth emotionally right up to and including being prepped for surgery☺. I was on an emotional roller coaster but in this moments when I was straight with myself, I knew I had to do it and the reasons why. I'm still dealing with emotions. I also decided to tell only certain people and I told those people that I would tell the people I wanted to and asked them to respect my privacy. I'm glad I made that decision. I was pressured to tell other people but it was about them Not me.. This is about me. I know it's going to be a long, windy road for all of us. I have faith that its the right road. Hang in there.

Awesome advice Kimini. Thank you so much. It was me who made the decision to speak to a surgeon about WLS because I thought I was being proactive about my future health given my weight. Apart from the thyroid and a menopausal problem which only occurred last month, my bloods say that I am in good health (no high GP, cholesterol etc) there is a family history of diabetes which was also why I thought I should do this while I am still relatively young and healthy for such an operation, but even my GP didn't seem to express any opinion, positive or negative and then the surgeon was the same. I thought the surgeon could have been a little more reassuring in order to give me confidence in him if nothing else. At least he was more polite than your surgeon...lol. Anyway there goes overthinking again. I have never had a negative reply or read a negative comment by anyone who has had the sleeve. So that I guess is the proof in the pudding, so to speak. Please let me know how your journey goes and I am envious of your decision and loss to date.

Hey cbonet sooo relieved to hear you were back and forth too. I had taken so much time and research to decide I was going to do this and then wham...back to I'm not sure after talking to the surgeon. I have done that a thousand times since Monday when I had the consult. Even wake during the night from my brain working overtime and making decisions while I sleep...lol. Like you I am not confident with sharing my decision with the world yet and may never be. Only my husband knows at this stage. I don't even want to tell my adult sons until after its done because I know it is something they have never heard of and will only worry. My paternal niece is having it done in January and she is very open and sharing with everyone. I so want to tell her but feel I would be putting her in a difficult position by confiding in her but asking her to respect my privacy. Tricky. If I do continue with the surgery I want to have it in Feb 2017. We would be good support to each other but she is 20 years younger than me. Thanks for the support and feel free to share your thoughts and opinions at any time.