Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Diet Journal - Phase 1

Hello everyone! It sounds like we're all off to a good start. Now that things are healing up for me I am getting quite a bit more hungry. I broke down today and ate oatmeal and mashed potatoes. I hear you all talking about Phase I and II but my doctor doesn't have that. I was to start on Clear Liquids for 3 days min. I did this and then over the next few days could add liquid yogurt and a Protein Shake. I am supposed to be on liquids until 09/20. How long do you guys have to wait to eat mushies?

metoo - Why did you wait so long to get a fill?

Hi Candle......sorry I didn't see your message. That was just the amount of time I had to wait I got given the appointment after surgery. My fill was good not as horrible as I expected......I am a bit dissapointed I don't feel a little more restriction at this stage. The whole process seems to be really different in the UK, not as strict as you guys I followed the milk diet for ten days pre op and then could just have whatever I could manage (found that out for myself) and following my first fill (Friday) just sloppies for 48 hours and see how I go from there! Its really 'suck it and see' !!! So I'm just trying to eat sensible foods and not too much of it.

Im really surprised at all of the different time schedules that dr's use. Mine is 2 weeks liquids, 2 weeks mushies, 1 week soft foods, then go for it...LOL

Not sure when my first fill is, but I think its just before I quit mushies. So far the Protein shakes for bfast and dinner have been ok, with 4-5oz of liquified Soup for lunch. About all I can take in right now ( not complaining) and people are starting to notice the appearance change already:D:D:D

Hope all of your weekend is good....Dave:bounce::bounce:

Liz, I am on liquids 2 weeks prior to surgery and 3 weeks after surgery. Then after the 3rd week, I go to mushies for 1 week and solids after that. This liquid diet is getting hard on me. I am never hungry, but have been tired, or should I say exhausted.

Shelli---hope you feel better tomorrow. I felt the exhaustion a couple of days ago. I think it is our body adjusting to the change we are going through. Let us know how you feel tomorrow.

Hi Claramae,

I feel a little better today. Thanks for your good wishes. I know by now that you must be really really sick of the liquid stage. Hang in there okay? What kind of Protein shakes are you drinking? Tomorrow is the 2 week anniversary of our new bands. So much has changed already. I am permitted to start on pureed foods tomorrow so I kind of already added a scrambled egg to my diet yesterday and today. I was hoping this would help with my energy level. I have dropped 9 lbs. since last Tuesday and I am in shock and awe at this whole process. I will be thinking of you today so if you need to write me I will be around.

Take care, shelli:girl_hug:

Wow Shelli!!!

You are doing awesome!! whoo.gif

Sadly - In the last week, I've only gained and lost the same 2lbs. I don't really see how that's possible. I've not cheated AT ALL. I expected my loss to level off but I'm still eating A LOT less than I was before all this started. think.gif

Hopefully it's because it's that time of the month. (I do feel pretty bloated) It was due on Wed and I still haven't gotten it. I'm assuming it's just from the stress of the surgery.

metoo - Was your surgery in March or August? (since you are in the UK, maybe you write your dates differently?)

By your post, I was thinking March. Which is why I asked about your fill. 6 months is a lonnnnnnnnnng time to have to wait for the first fill!!

Wow Shelli!!!

You are doing awesome!! :whoo:

Sadly - In the last week, I've only gained and lost the same pound. I don't really see how that's possible. I've not cheated AT ALL. I expected my loss to level off but I'm still eating A LOT less than I was before all this started. :cry

Hopefully it's because it's that time of the month. (I do feel pretty bloated) It was due on Wed and I still haven't gotten it. I'm assuming it's just from the stress of the surgery.

Hi Candle,

I am doing good but look at my stats. I am at least 100 pounds more than you. I think when a person is as heavy as me the weight comes off a little faster in the beginning. Are you journalling what you are eating with calorie counts and Protein counts? I find this is very helpful. One day I ate some extra broth and I thought I would gain weight because of the sodium but I was wrong and I was in shock. I have been only eating/drinking 500 to 600 calories per day. Phase 2 which starts tomorrow is only 800 calories and last for 3 weeks. Then my Phase 3 starts and that last for 6 weeks(soft adaptive foods). I hope by the end of that 9 week period I will only be a grease spot on the floor -lol.

How is your hunger level? I have been getting a little hungry(twinges) but then I eat a half cup of something and I am stuffed.

Candle, you are doing really really good too! Darn that TOM. I used to gain between 3-5 lbs. during that time.

You are doing awesome too!

shelli:girl_hug:

Shelli---Good to hear from you. I am feeling better today. I do not know how much I have lost this week, but I have lost 21 pounds since I started the liquids on Aug 13th. I know one more week on the liquids for me. I can do this. Congrats on your progress.

I was feeling so good, that I decided to go to town(12 miles away) and run errands. My wonderful car, that has never broke down, that has nearly 200,000 miles on it, died a natural death. Hubby is there now waiting on the wrecker. I seem to have a dark cloud over me. Thank goodness this did not happen yesterday. I was in such a mood, I probably would have thrown myself into the traffic!!!! Anyway, life goes on. We were takling about a new car anyway, but not until April:car::angry

Hey Candle--how are you today. I am feeling so much better:nervous today then yesterday. I am a little hungry and do not know what to eat(drink), as I am pretty sick of these liquids. We have been on liquids since August 13th. Good grief. Never would think I could survive this.

Just wanted to drop you a line and see how you were today. Congrats on going on the mushie diet tomorrow. I am jealous:mad:

Thanks Shelli. What do you use to track your food? I've been using fitday.com and I really like it. My calorie goal for mushies is also 800 and I have to do 3 weeks.

We were takling about a new car anyway, but not until April:car::angry

I was just at my neighbor's house checking out their new Honda Civic - it's sooo cute!!

Now is the time to buy. All the dealers are trying to push the 2007 models off the lot to make room for the 2008's. I bought my first brand new car in Sept of '03 - a leftover 2003 Subaru Outback Wagon. I love love love that car!! I have 3 payments left :whoo:

Think about it this way Claramae - since your insurance came through for the Band you can put that money towards a new car!! What are you thinking about getting?

Candle---That is exactly what hubby said. Since the insurance came through, we do have a little wiggle room. And I really do have a little more wiggle room---21 pounds to be exact!!! We are probably going to get a Toyota Camry. What can I say. Except, wiggle, wiggle!!!!

Hi Candle

Thanks for the shopping tips. I have until Friday before starting pureed. I have to admit, it hasn't been too bad so far. Last week, went to run some errands on the hottest day of the week. Forgot my Water and hadn't had any Protein in that day. Got dizzy, lightheaded and saw stars before my eyes. So went home and tried to compensate for not taking in enough fluids and got a stomach ache!!! Now how dumb was all of that? Learned several lessons in one day.

Looking forward to a variety in texture of foods. Hubby made chili the other day and left the sauce on the watery side, so I've been eating that. Yummy. The Campbell's fiest cheese Soup (kind of Mexican flavor) was good but had to be strained.

Sue

Good choice on car, and gas conservative! These days, that's important and you can use the money you save on gas on new clothes!!!!

We went grocery shopping yesterday, only for hubby, a couple things for me, and spent less than 1/2 of what we usually do! What does that say for what I used to eat! Actually, hubby has been losing weight by association.

Had a day last week where I couldn't cope with anything. I tried to make a dietitian appt. and was having conflicts all over the place and that reduced me to tears!!! So, have been staying away from decision making and just taking it day by day.

I had promised myself before surgery I wouldn't weigh myself until my first dr. appt. But I've noticed that my wedding ring fits better, I walk easier and a little further than I used to. Before surgery, I made a list of non-weight goals, things I wanted to feel or be able to do better or differently. That has helped to keep on track. My follow up is tomorrow, so will be interesting to see what happened.

Sue

I am having trouble with the "golfball" sized pain in my chest when I swallow. It seems to affect me with liquid or Jello or anything, actually. I had surgery Sept 5 and I know this is only day 4, but this am when I took my liquid pain meds, I got the pain in my chest so bad, it almost made me cry. Any suggestions for me?