Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Diet Journal - Phase 1

Hi! I thought I would start a new thread to talk about your post op concerns, your post op nutrition, and anything else you want to talk about that is on your mind. Please join me in documenting our journey and new adventures in bandland.

Congratulations to all new bandsters!

shelli:girl_hug:

Well, I was banded on Monday, August 27th, 2007. My surgeon said it was a "textbook" surgery and I spent one night in the hospital. It is Day 6 now and everything is going fairly well except I can't believe how bloated I get after I eat something. Is anyone else having this problem? I just finished my Breakfast Protein Shake which I sipped over a period of 45 minutes and my stomach is starting to bloat up and I feel uncomfortable. I got weighed this morning and have finally lost all my post surgery weight gain from the IV fluids. My doctor said to only weigh once per week but I felt thinner this morning and wanted to see how I was doing. I am on Phase 1 of the post op diet and am sticking to the 500 calories per day. I have two Protein Shakes per day, 1 cup of strained Soup, and usually 1 cup of 100% juice, SF popsicles, and SF Jello. I really don't think I could eat anymore of that right now. I have started walking outside but couldn't believe how weak my legs are so have to build up slowly. Everyone have a good day and stay well. Write when you can.

shelli:ranger:

Hey Shelli

As usual, we seem to be in exactly the same place - lol.

I finally lost all the extra Fluid now too. As of this morning, I am down exactly 20 lbs since I started the pre-op diet. Woo-Hoo!!

I’ve been getting that bloated feeling too. Lots of burping too. After I "eat" I try and walk around for about 5-10 minutes - it seems to help.

My daily goals are: 650 calories, 70 grams Protein, < 80 carbs

I've been having 2 Protein shakes, 5-6ozs Soup, a yogurt or pudding, and Jello or ice pops. I haven't had any fruit juice for 2 days because I think it's contributing to the awful diarrhea I've been having. I did discover a new drink I really like though - PROPEL, it's made by Gatorade.

I just started an antibiotic yesterday because my throat never got any better. I've been really pushing to get in as many fluids as possible.

Candle,

You are doing awesome! I had that scratchy throat thing too but it finally went away. I am not allowed to have pudding or yogurt until Phase 2. How long do you have to stay on your "Phase 1"? Ours was 3 weeks but he changed it to 2 weeks because his patients were getting really hungry at 2 weeks out. Next is Phase 2 which is called the pureed food stage. I bought some Stage 2 Baby Foods today which we are allowed, in preparation, but i still have 8 days to go.

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well.

Here's to a speedy recovery for both of us.:bounce:

shelli

Hi. I too was banded Aug 27th. Just started non-clear liquids today. Feels much better. I was sooo tired from no calories. Hope all is well.

I hope you feel better soon. Drink as much water(unflavored or flavored) as you can - this might help with fatigue. Take care,

I have to do liquids for 2 weeks. I have a follow up appointment on 9/10/07 and I'm assuming at that point I will get the go-ahead to start mushies. Then I have to do mushies for 3 weeks. Then I can switch to more solid food - nothing too crazy though - for 1 week.

That should put me at 6 weeks. If I do ok after a week of "solids" I can get my first fill.

My doc said baby food was ok but sometimes the carbs and calories tend to be high. That's funny you bought some stiff today because I bought some stuff for mushies today too - lol! I'm READY!!

I bought some tuna, canned chicken, and refried Beans. We went to Walmart so I grabbed a few non-perishables. The biggest thing I have been craving is egg salad and I'm not even a big egg fan - lol! Also cottage cheese!!

PS. I am allowed pudding - the kind you make at home with a little extra milk to thin it and yogurt with no fruit chunks in it. So far, so good.

Hi ya'll,

Woke up this morning and didn't feel like eating so I started the day out with just a cup of herb tea. About 3 or 4 hours later decided I needed to eat something so I had a cup of strained cream of broccoli Soup. After that I took my meds with plain Water and now I have had heart burn ever since. Has anyone else experienced this? I can count the number of times in my life that I have had heart burn so I am a little worried about this. As a precaution my surgeon has me on 2 Prilosec per day and 2 tums. Do you think because I started my meals out with soup instead of my Protein shake this could be the cause? I think the Full liquid diet is getting a little tedious (I know I shouln't be whining because I have another week to go). It is 5 pm. and all I have had today is about 140 calories.

If anyone has any advice please advise.

How is everyone else doing today?

shelli:sick

I think you have to force yourself to eat - I've been finding this.

I've started my day with Soup a few times and not had any issues. I have heartburn occasionally and broccoli is something that brings it on. Raw is usually the bigger culprit but cooked does it sometimes as well. Have you had Cream of Broc since the surgery?

Maybe you just didn't have enough in your stomach? Maybe the tea soured the creaminess of the soup?

I wouldn't worry too much.

I feel awesome today!! The last 2 nights I've been able to sleep on my side and have gotten some GREAT sleep! It has made a big difference!

I was banded on August 30th. Post op so far is uneventful, I think. I have much less pain than I expected, able to get up and walk around. sleep a lot, but I expected that from recovery from anesthesia.

I find that I cannot tolerate anything with sugar in it, makes me nauseated or thow up. Although, taking my pain med I'm sure has sugar in it and I can tolerate that. So far, I've been only able to do the Protein powder in Soup or hot chocolate (the Protein packet I got from the dr.) without getting nauseated. I was drinking some gatorade and could not tolerate it at all. I tried Diet Snapple, it has 2gm of sugar, and got nauseated after that too. The dr. told me there would be swelling around the band at day 3-5 so I'm hoping that is part of the problem.

Has anyone had problems with gas after surgery? I have A LOT!!! I'm hoping it's the gas used in surgery finding it's way out. I hope it stops soon!

Glad to hear everyone is doing ok. This is a new experience all the way around. Feelings I never expected, some I did expect. Glad I'm on the other side!

Sue Stenzel

Hi everyone,

I'm on day two of my Phase 1 diet ("full liquids") and can't tolerate anywhere near the daily goals set up by my nutritionist.

3-4 oz. of Protein shake per day has made me feel worse than any heartburn or indigestion that I've had in my life. That's well short of the 32 ounces that I'm supposed to have per day.

I have an e-mail in to my nutritionist to see if there's something I should do differently.

I think you have to force yourself to eat - I've been finding this.

I've started my day with Soup a few times and not had any issues. I have heartburn occasionally and broccoli is something that brings it on. Raw is usually the bigger culprit but cooked does it sometimes as well. Have you had Cream of Broc since the surgery?

Maybe you just didn't have enough in your stomach? Maybe the tea soured the creaminess of the Soup?

I wouldn't worry too much.

I feel awesome today!! The last 2 nights I've been able to sleep on my side and have gotten some GREAT sleep! It has made a big difference!

Hi Candle,

I think you might have a point with the broccoli. First time I had it was today. Tomorrow I plan to start my day off differently with my Protein shakes again. Might as well not mess up a good thing going. Other than the heartburn I feel pretty good. My husband says I am moving around alot better and I don't feel any pain when rising from a chair or bed. sleeping really well even without pain meds. Still get very bloated after eating though or should I say sipping.

When do you have to go back to the doctor? I go Tuesday for a 1 week check up.

I was banded on August 30th. Post op so far is uneventful, I think. I have much less pain than I expected, able to get up and walk around. sleep a lot, but I expected that from recovery from anesthesia.

I find that I cannot tolerate anything with sugar in it, makes me nauseated or thow up. Although, taking my pain med I'm sure has sugar in it and I can tolerate that. So far, I've been only able to do the Protein powder in Soup or hot chocolate (the Protein packet I got from the dr.) without getting nauseated. I was drinking some gatorade and could not tolerate it at all. I tried Diet Snapple, it has 2gm of sugar, and got nauseated after that too. The dr. told me there would be swelling around the band at day 3-5 so I'm hoping that is part of the problem.

Has anyone had problems with gas after surgery? I have A LOT!!! I'm hoping it's the gas used in surgery finding it's way out. I hope it stops soon!

Glad to hear everyone is doing ok. This is a new experience all the way around. Feelings I never expected, some I did expect. Glad I'm on the other side!

Sue Stenzel

Hi herghost,

Yes gas, and when I overdue my left shoulder hurts terribly but that pain goes away after resting. How do you keep your Protein Powder from curdling in hot liquids?

herghost - Are you getting in enough Water? Sometimes Dehydration can contribute to nausea. The pain meds could have something to do with it too. Have you tried getting by with just some liquid Tylenol? (I was VERY nauseous the night I spent in the hospital after surgery. I even threw up once. Luckily, I never needed any pain meds after I came home.)

Frank - I too am supposed to consume 4 - 8oz Protein Shakes per day. I never used the Protein shakes my Nutritionist recommended - Medifast. I didn't care for the flavor and they were VERY expensive. (I'm sure she gets a spiff $$) I found one on my own that I really like - Unjury. One 8oz shake w/ Skim Milk has 29 grams of Protein and 180 calories. The Medifast has less protein so I only drink 2 shakes a day. I'm still feeling VERY bloated after 4-8ozs of a shake or Soup so I understand where you are coming from.

I'm still struggling to get in water every day. I'm averaging 45ozs per day and I should be back up to 64ozs at this point.

I've also used this stuff I got at the Health food store - New-Whey Liquid Protein test tube. One tube is 3.3ozs - 176 calories - 42grams of Protein. They come in a few flavors but I think they taste god awful. On the days that my protein has fallen short, I've used 1/2 to a 1/3 of one to put me over my daily protein goal of 70 grams.

Shelli - I don't have a follow appt until 2 weeks - on 9/10/07.

"Frank" - I just looked at your profile and noticed we have the same doctor!!! Are you using Medifast? Did you see Lisa? We must have the same daily nutritional targets!

I was banded 2 days before you!

I like Jim Norton but if you are an O & A fan .... sorry. We can't be friends! lol!! I'm a die hard Stern fan :biggrin1: