Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Confidence with saggy skin?

Well I had my doctor consultation in June and I am still doing medical clearances for the sleeve. I am a pretty confident plus size woman, I am doing this surgery for Health reasons. I have PCOS, diabetes type 2, and thyroid issues. I love how beautiful I am now but I am scared once I get the surgery and my tits start to be empty and sag and the extra skin in the stomach,saggy thighs and arms ???? Let's not forget the hair loss.

I'm questioning the on set of depression and low self confidence this will bring. Like is it worth it? I have watch dozen of videos and mostly everyone's response is "you will learn to live with it, I got my life back a little loose skin does not matter". But is that really the case? I'm sure it gets hard at some point. How do you cope? Really just makes me want to say never mind but I'm like almost done my clearances. Frustrated is not the word ????

So you're willing to forego your health for vanity?

Nobody ever died from loose skin. They do from obesity related issues. I'd rather have some loose skin than all that flab that was putting constant pressure on my organs and joints. Besides, that's what plastics or Spanx is for.

@@laGata15

First everyone does not lose their breasts. If you really have breast tissue and not fat, it isn't going anywhere, I was a DD before surgery and now I am a G cup, because my band keeps getting smaller but my breasts are not.

I wore weaves and wigs before surgery because I like variety so my hair loss, doesn't even matter. No one sees it at all, and I don't even care, honestly. Doesn't matter to me. I didn't go bald anyway. I know it is thinner in places but most people would never know, and now it is thickening up and growing back like wild fire. Don't care.

The skin is annoying, not going to lie about it. I notice it because I see myself naked and there are mirrors all over my place, but 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the people on the planet are never ever going to see my loose skin. Shapewear and clothes hide it fine. I am going to have a Tummy Tuck at some point once my weight stabilizes, so for me this is a temporary situation.

I look amazing in clothes. Hoe is life. I wear all the bodycon dresses I can get my hands on, even just to the grocery store. I can wear Bebe and all the other little tart brands, and I do. I enjoy this body with the loose skin more than I enjoyed my fat firm body because this body gives me a lot of options.

I do too many things and have too much energy to be depressed.

Everyone is different but pre-op I worried about some of the same things (well not the boobs, I knew they were never going anywhere, everyone in my family has had a reduction surgery), and all the other little ways that my life is richer really balances out all the negatives.

I will also say that I worked out a lot of my stress and emotional issues before surgery so I went into surgery with a whole new outlook on life, and that made all the difference.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

@@OutsideMatchInside, yes!! Lmao I'm like I know I can wear all the cute clothes but the loose skin has had me a bit worry. And although I find myself re thinking this because I'm getting closer to actually having it done and I'm getting cold feet but in the back of my mind I just keep reminding myself about the great improvement in health this will give. It's the only thing keeping me going..

My whole family is against this. My aunt had the bypass and said she will NEVER get the surgery again if she had the option to re do it. But also told me its my life and I do what I want, just because she had a terrible experience does not mean mines will be the same. Just the no support sucks.

Everyone is different and being over 45 the sagging skin and hair loss was a huge concern for me as well.

With that being said, I was sleeved on 2/29/16, started at 274.6 and I am currently 175.3. Would like to lose another 15-20 more.

My skin is actually a lot better then what I thought it would be, I was a DDD cup and I am now a D cup and my underarms, belly and inner thighs are a lil loose but no where near as bad as I imagined. Hair loss was another issue, I started losing hair around 3 months and it scared the crap out of me, it finally subsided around 6 months but I would take the hair loss any day over the excess weight!!!

Good luck to you

http://pic-collage.com/_brDuKISY

Here's a link to pics of my skin... Hopefully this helps you

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Nobody ever died from loose skin. They do from obesity related issues. I'd rather have some loose skin than all that flab that was putting constant pressure on my organs and joints. Besides, that's what plastics or Spanx is for.

It's not vanity, I'm not vain at all. It took me a lot to learn how to love myself. It's more like fear. Fear of change. Like I'm scared that I learned to love myself being plus size and I'm so use to it now that idk how I would react to skinny but with loose skin? ... Idk if I'm making any sense to you lol but I know I will do this for a more healthy life. These are just some thoughts that I have been having. Sorry if I sounded vain or anything that was really not my intention here. Just wondering how some post ops have dealt with it so far.

Everyone is different and being over 45 the sagging skin and hair loss was a huge concern for me as well.With that being said, I was sleeved on 2/29/16, started at 274.6 and I am currently 175.3. Would like to lose another 15-20 more.My skin is actually a lot better then what I thought it would be, I was a DDD cup and I am now a D cup and my underarms, belly and inner thighs are a lil loose but no where near as bad as I imagined. Hair loss was another issue, I started losing hair around 3 months and it scared the crap out of me, it finally subsided around 6 months but I would take the hair loss any day over the excess weight!!!Good luck to youhttp://pic-collage.com/_brDuKISYHere's a link to pics of my skin... Hopefully this helps youSent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You look AMAZING!! Congrats to you thanks for sharing those pictures. I think I'm at that point where I'm just overthinking everything lol. But that helped. Thanks.

@@laGata15

Thank you and your welcome !!

Before the sleeve I figured I would look into pricing for plastic surgery in case but I'm thinking I'll probably pass on it. I do still have a lil more weight to lose and I'm hoping to tone while I lose it.

Unfortunately due to my Gout my exercise was very minimal during the first 4.5 months, but it seems to have subsided so I'm making the most of it.

Good luck to you and make the best decision for you

Edited by Christy5913

I may be off here, but the profile pic I can see - you look quite young! If you are- you are a t a HUGE (no pun intended!) advantage---

Youth!

Elasticity!

Good Hormone levels Flowing!!!

Those things in themselves lend well to your skin recovering!

I'm down just over 100 since I started- last December- and have minimal hanging skin. And believe me- if anyone was going to- that would be me????

You need to take this all ONE STEP AT A TIME.

Get healthy first- emotionally,, physically and then cosmetically, if needed.

Good Luck!

It's not vanity, I'm not vain at all. It took me a lot to learn how to love myself. It's more like fear. Fear of change. Like I'm scared that I learned to love myself being plus size and I'm so use to it now that idk how I would react to skinny but with loose skin? ... Idk if I'm making any sense to you lol but I know I will do this for a more healthy life. These are just some thoughts that I have been having. Sorry if I sounded vain or anything that was really not my intention here. Just wondering how some post ops have dealt with it so far.
I get it. It's really more about the fear of the unknown. But I promise if you go into this with the correct mindset, you won't regret it. Skin and all. You'll be too busy feeling healthy and fantastic and living your new life to worry about a little loose skin.

I'm kind of old, and I have managed to to lessen the skin a bit by resinstance and strength training. My arms are decent, legs are okay (a bit of inner thigh stuff) but my tummy is a mess. Although I've had a consultation for a panniculectomy and a tuck, I've decided against it at this time. I'm happy, healthy, and just don't want to put myself through another surgery and somewhat lengthy recovery. This skin just isn't that important to me anymore. I may change my mind down the road, but who knows. I'm happy just living life again.

post-212472-0-74416900-1473823256_thumb.jpg

I get it. It's really more about the fear of the unknown. But I promise if you go into this with the correct mindset, you won't regret it. Skin and all. You'll be too busy feeling healthy and fantastic and living your new life to worry about a little loose skin.

I'm kind of old, and I have managed to to lessen the skin a bit by resinstance and strength training. My arms are decent, legs are okay (a bit of inner thigh stuff) but my tummy is a mess. Although I've had a consultation for a panniculectomy and a tuck, I've decided against it at this time. I'm happy, healthy, and just don't want to put myself through another surgery and somewhat lengthy recovery. This skin just isn't that important to me anymore. I may change my mind down the road, but who knows. I'm happy just living life again.

You look great! Congrats on the success. Yeah I guess I need to get over the fear and just focus on the positive outcomes. Thanks for the responses everyone. I will continue on this journey to good health ☺

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App