Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Know anything about Dr Alvarez

10/15/07

I boarded a plane from Spokane Wa to San Antonio TX 10/10/07 at 5:50 Am when Manda and I arrived at the airport we went to baggage claim got our bags and Rosa was there about ten minutes later, got a tad nervous but once she showed up my nerves were calmer. We got in to a nice van, leather very comfortable and drove two hrs to Eagle Pass. I slept in the car a bit and talked to Rosa. Rosa is the perfect choice for this job speaks great English, nice woman! She checked us in to a Hilton and said she would be there to pick us up in the morning at 11:15, and she did.

We drove about ten minutes in to Mexico to Dr. Alverez office. There were four other people in the van who were there for a fill. Driving to the office my nerves were on edge, as soon as you cross the border you know you are in Mexico it’s a little run down. Dr Alverez’s office is connected to the Hospital or it seemed that way. Nice office we waited about ten minutes and he came in the front door and greeted me and the others. I think it fair for me to say my impression of him is that he has a great heart! He hugged and shook hands with the fill patients as though they were old friends and I know one was there for her first fill. He seems to really care. He asked Rosa to take the fill patients some place and he would check me in and then meet them to do the fills him self.

Manda and I went in to his office and he reviewed my health history he could see why I would want to have a band with my health history even though my BMI was 31 (I weighed 178) 5’5”. A nurse came in and he explained that he had just hired her to stay with me the entire time because not only was she a great nurse but she spoke very good English and he was right on all accounts!

She walked Manda and me to the hospital and at this point my nerves kicked in again. The hospital is old and out of date for what we are used to in the stated, had an unfamiliar smell, my room was small with a small bed. At this point it would have served me as well as them to give me a valium or something, if you go ask for it at this point. Another nurse drew blood, I was taken to X-ray which I have to sway was weird! This guy pushed me up against the wall and stood there while the chest x-ray was being taken! I wanted to say dude that causes cancer you should stand behind the wall, oh and there was a small TV by the x-ray machine, seemed strange and unprofessional. Anyway I was then taken back to my room to have yet another stranger put in my IV, se did a great job no pain and got me on the first stick.

Dr Alverez came in and told me he would see me in the OR. They brought a gurney in and I got on it and was wheeled to the OR. At this point they pass you through a long window on to another gurney I guess in to a sterile environment. Dr Alverez was not there yet so I was in a room with a bunch of people who did not speak English. At this point I am almost having a panic attack, I forgot in all my research to include the anesthesiologist oh my god that was stupid!! Well he turned out to be good at what he does, I was out and I woke up, two good things.

Woke up two hours later in my room Manda was there reading on a small padded bench like bed that was in the room. Then Dr Alverez came in ad I asked which size band did he use I assumed it would be the 4cc small one because my BMI was small but he said I had lots of fat around my stomach and he had to use the big one 11cc go figure. I slept on and off through the night nurses came in to put some milk like substance in my IV a lot.

The next morning my English speaking nurse came in and said Rosa would be ready to take me back to San Antonio at 10:00am did I want to take a shower? I asked if I could wait a bit. She came in an hour later to remove the IV and I was having a panic attack, I don’t think she knew what was going o, I brought Lorazapam with me and took some and was calmed down. I kept thinking all night WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!!! It didn’t hurt, its just I could tell something was different in side me and in my panic attack all I could think was get it out. After I calmed down Dr Alverez came in and sat next to me on the bed and explained about the band gave me the box it came in with the serial number instructions about the meds, he was so calming and great. I got dressed and we went down to the van where Rosa with her big smile met us to drive us back to San Antonio to check us in at a LaQuinta inn. Manda and I took a nap then took a cab down town to the river walk she ate I watched.

Next day airport shuttle took us to the air port. In the Air port is where the gas showed up and it is a trip pain in your left shoulder you burp and it’s gone.

Today I feel much better still some gas but its true the walking helps and gasX I think pills work better. I got on the scale this morning and weighed 168 TEN POUNDS!!!

I am happy I had the band put in it will prolong my life. Dr Alverez and his staff are good at what they do and very professional. If I had any feed back at all to give them it would be give your patients a valium or something in the office before you take them to the hospital.

Take a pillow and a get a Protein Drink that had them in the San Antonio airport.

PS Dr Alverez is easy on the eyes the kind of guy you hope your daughter marries and has kids with.

Nan thank yo so much for your detailed report. that was great. I really appreciated it. It helps take away some of the fear knowing that everything went so well.:clap2:

Thanks for the news... And... one more question.... I want to go alone.. My DH thinks he should go and take care of me, but truly, I'd like to do this myself. What do you think? I think I'll do better alone, I know, I'm weird. I think a lot of it is we have young kids and I want him home w/ them, and I'm keeping this private so I don't want to involve anyone else.

Ya they will give you something if you ask e-mail the doc and set it up ahead of time. I was going to go alone I but my daughter went with me and I was sooooo glad. You have to get up to pee a lot throught the night and your Iv is hanging on a hook not a movable pole. Manda got up took it off the hook and held it while I went, poor girl. It is not comfortable for them at all so I felt bad for her but was so glad she came along.

Ps ..Manda said make sure your support person brings a book, pillow, Snacks, portable dvd only a few channels that were in English. Cafeteria doesn’t open till 1:00 pm and closes at 7pm she starved. Wow do I owe her big time. Also it was so nice to have her there in the hotel with me.

you will be great think of it as one day that has the potential to change the rest of your life. be prepared for the shoulder pain (gas) its weird and hurts, hope it is gone soon.

I forgot to tell you the La Quinta has a shuttle that will take you anywhere with in five miles. There is a Walmart you can go to and a mall. And probably lots more Manda and I took a cab down town to see the Alamo and walk the river walk. twenty dollar taxi one way ouch!!

Ok so I am back I was banded by doctor A on Nov 2. The hospitol is completely different but Dr Alvarez and his staff are excellent! I am sore and having the gas in my chest but with time it subsides. I have already lsot 10 pounds since surgery also! WHOOHOO! Thats 65 pounds lost since my peak weight!

Thats awsome!! I have scheduled my first fill dec 1 no more lbs gone once i started eating solid food. What band did he use on you and did you go alone?