Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Love Tim Gunn

Excellent article. It's refreshing to find someone in the fashion industry that actually "gets it" that there is no such thing as one size fits all. And especially the fact that promoting the idea that every "body" should be rail thin in order to fit into society's warped ideal is not only ridiculous, but dangerous.

This sad practice has only gotten worse in the last couple of decades. In addition to the no size above 2 nonsense that most designers seem to adhere to, now you've got the ones openly admitting that they don't even want people of size touching their clothing, as if said touch would go onto taint their brand somehow. It's sad.

We need more of this article's ilk. Designers willing to openly welcome and pursue the plus size market. Having been fat all my life, and then recently having to replace my entire wardrobe after WLS, it really makes you fully understand just how limited the plus size choices available.

A lot of things need to change.

He's such a doll. I love him too. He really dgaf about isolating himself from all of the fashion elite.

Yeah, yeah!! I read this article yesterday and also wanted to post it. I had a feeling someone would. So insightful of how the fashion industry hates fat women.

We all know it...but to hear it out loud (so to speak) gives credit to what we've been dealing with for so long. The designers would rather lose a potentially huge money making market than have their clothes worn by larger sized women. They are OK with less than perfect sized women..as long as they are not fat women. BTW..ever seen a model up close? I have. I live in Manhattan and see these models out and about all the time...especially during Fashion Week. They are horrible thin..and taller than the majority of women. Yes..they stand out...but not in a good way.

This is the standard by which the fashion industry judges women's bodies. No wonder we hate ourselves. :(

Thank God for him speaking out. I hope others see this. I'd happily put myself in hock for some fashionable duds. I love clothes, fashion, accessories, seasonal makeup trends -- but none of it really applies to me as a size 22. The clothes are ugly, marm-sih, polyester, and frumpy. And how about something as a base color besides black? Geez, I know I'm fat, but what's wrong with navy or khaki or grey as a base color to work around? I don't want to disappear into the background. I want color -- not hideous, garish crapola.

I am currently shopping for professional interview clothes. I am definitely in between sizes. The good thing is that I can fit in some plus sized clothes in stores. The bad thing is that there is NO selection.

He is absolutely right about separates. I cannot find a basic skirt to save my life.

I am actually having skirts made (which I had to do at a much higher weight) because I can't find what I need in stores.

I hope tone able to spend a significant amount of money on clothes when I get to goal. I am definitely taking notes on what brands/designers/stores treat me like a human being at my highest weight.

@@Inner Surfer Girl I always had good luck online in Lands End and Junonia, clothes made well and fit. I am looking forward to getting some new Lands End clothes when I am at goal weight. You could also try thrift stores and consignment shops. Good luck with the job search

@@Inner Surfer Girl try Inc at Macy's as they gag some good options that give support but comfort

What size are you in if you don't mind my asking as I am progressing out of some professional wear I would love to pass on if ever helpful

Size? All over the place.

I just bought a 24 dress at Talbot's. It's too big on top but I needed the width in the hips/legs. I wish it were longer!

I just bought a size 20 Liz Claiborne blazer at Penney's.

I really have to try things on.

Because my legs are still big I need longer skirts (don't wear pants).

My butt is actually shrinking!

Thank you for sharing your info. We are roughly the same height and weight now and I've still been wearing my same size 3x (26/28) everything - tops and bottoms. Which i know are looser and baggy but I've just been telling myself that I was so used to them being stretched to the limits (because honestly I was probably really a size 30) that they just seem so baggy because they actually fit. Although last night when I went to the Y to work out, i noticed even my leggings are getting droopy. Looks like it might be time to buy a couple pieces of smaller size clothing.

Believe it or not, I've had very good luck with the clothes on QVC. It's easy to order online and sizing is very consistent across designers on there - and if for some reason a garment or designer runs smaller than their usual sizing, they typically note that in the description. Susan Graver comes to mind as a particularly good source for work appropriate clothing on there - her pants can run a little snug for my giant calves but the wider leg pant options from her are great and are the staple of my work wardrobe. As are her longer skirts and tops. Isaac Mizrahi has a line on there that has a lot of really nice sweaters and Joan Rivers line has fabulous blazers - all of which work well for plus size women. It is also where I get my wide width clarks shoes from - much better selection than you find in the stores. Returns are easy too - just put it back in the same shipping bag and they include a preprinted return label.

Size? All over the place.

I just bought a 24 dress at Talbot's. It's too big on top but I needed the width in the hips/legs. I wish it were longer!

I just bought a size 20 Liz Claiborne blazer at Penney's.

I really have to try things on.

Because my legs are still big I need longer skirts (don't wear pants).

My butt is actually shrinking!

@@heidikat72 Isaac Mizrahi is exactly the kind of designer Tim Gunn is clamoring for. He literally gave up high fashion to design for the masses at Target and then QVC and profited massively from it. Way more money than he was making selling mink trimmed skirts size 0-8 at Bergdorfs. One of my favorite designers of all time. His mother and aunts were big and they were his first customers.

Agreed - when you watch him present on air - you can easily tell he "gets it" with regard to all women from all backgrounds and isn't just about high fashion for models only but rather practical but stylish clothes for the typical woman. And I love that QVC shows the clothes on women of all sizes, ages, ethnicities...you get a true sense of how the clothes might look on you.