Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm at my 3-week stall. How long does it last?

My stall began on Wednesday, and my 3 weeks was on Thursday. So it was right on the money, lol. I'm fine with the stall since I was expecting it. I've been going from 234 to 232 for days now.

How long does it usually last for most people? If you had the stall, once it went away, did you go back to losing weight rapidly? I want to start losing weight rapidly again, and I'm worried that it will be slower after the stall goes away.

@@Hiraeth

I was 3 wks. post-op as of Friday, so I'm a day behind you. My stall started 10 days after surgery, and I'm still stalled. I've lost nearly 2" from my waist and have had several other NSVs during this time though. Like you, my weight is fluctuating within 2 lbs.

@@Hiraeth

I was 3 wks. post-op as of Friday, so I'm a day behind you. My stall started 10 days after surgery, and I'm still stalled. I've lost nearly 2" from my waist and have had several other NSVs during this time though. Like you, my weight is fluctuating within 2 lbs.

You're still stalled? Jeez. I'm sorry. Have you been exercising? I know it probably doesn't matter since the stall is usually your body trying to adjust.

I'll admit, I'm not exercising like I want to. But I am walking at least 2 miles a day. I've also lost a few inches off my waist (over 3").

@@Hiraeth

I am exercising. It's one of my NSVs :D I go to the gym everyday and do 1 hour of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training. Effective the 15th, I will be working out with a personal trainer 3 days a week.

Like you, I was expecting the stall, so I'm not concerned. I weigh myself every morning, but I'm not discouraged by the lack of weight loss. The weight will come off when its ready. :) I've read where some 3wk stalls lasted a month or so. I *hope* mine won't be that long, but there's nothing I can do other than to follow my plan.

@@Hiraeth

I am exercising. It's one of my NSVs :D I go to the gym everyday and do 1 hour of cardio and 30 minutes of strength training. Effective the 15th, I will be working out with a personal trainer 3 days a week.

Like you, I was expecting the stall, so I'm not concerned. I weigh myself every morning, but I'm not discouraged by the lack of weight loss. The weight will come off when its ready. :) I've read where some 3wk stalls lasted a month or so. I *hope* mine won't be that long, but there's nothing I can do other than to follow my plan.

I wish I could afford a personal trainer. It won't be long until the surgery bills start coming in. My insurance only covers 85% of all surgeries.

@@Hiraeth

You don't need a trainer to workout. Keep up with the walking, and add in some strength training to boost your metabolism. I'm only using a PT b/c I have some injuries and don't really know what I'm doing in a gym.

@@Hiraeth

You don't need a trainer to workout. Keep up with the walking, and add in some strength training to boost your metabolism. I'm only using a PT b/c I have some injuries and don't really know what I'm doing in a gym.

Oh, I'm so sorry. Well, a PT will definitely help you. I want one to challenge me because I've had one in the past, and it was awesome. Good luck with yours! You'll love it. :)

Mine lasted two weeks!!

Working beyond grief for a better life!

I stalled one week after surgery for 9 days and just started losing again. I've lost 4 pounds in the past 4 days. So I'm down 13 since 8/8 which comes out to about 4.5 pounds a week. I've also lost 2 inches from my waist, hips, bust, etc. I'd give it a week to 10 days and you'll probably start losing again.

@@CLN.BK - strength training 3 weeks after surgery? My surgeon told me 6 weeks. I'd love to be able to do it now. Assuming you haven't experienced any issues?

You probably won't lose at the rates you lost in the beginning. Usually after this first, COMPLETELY NORMAL stall, the weight loss evens out to more average rates of 2-4 pounds a week.

Just keep doing what you're doing and it will pass in no time!

Edited by CLN.BK

@@kelliev2015

I was given conflicting information from 3 different people within my medical team, so I don't even know what kind of restrictions I have. Unfortunately, I'm going off information from the web, these forums, and my step-dad (he's a doctor). Yes, I know this is far from ideal, and I hate it.

I've been using the weight machines for my arms and legs only. I'm not using any machines that target my core, abs, back, etc. I'm waiting until the 6 week mark (Sept. 15th) to actually work with the trainer b/c that seems to be a general consensus of when restrictions are lifted, and I have a follow-up appointment with my PCP on the 14th.

I asked my surgeon specifically and he said no strength training. Not even legs cause you engage your core whether it seems like it or not. They worry about hernias since your abs have weak spots. Anyway, not saying it is right or wrong... Just be careful! I would hate for you to hurt yourself. Great job getting to the gym right away!