Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LapBand Food Stages Lists Suggestions

Here are the lists that my nutritionist gave to me for the different stages of eating after having surgery. The moderator may want to make this thread a sticky for those who don't get defined lists, as I've noticed a lot of questions about this topic in the past.

*STAGE 1 - liquids

START: When you return home from your surgery

DURATION: For 2 weeks post surgery, or until your next dietitian appointment.

DIET: Clear and full liquids

GOAL: Aim for at least 64 ounces of Fluid for the day by continuous sipping.

LIQUIDS RECOMMENDED:

Water

100% fruit juice (No sugar added)

Bouillon

Strained Soups or broths

Skim or 1% milk

Soy milk

Milk shakes - thinned

Gatorade or equivalent sports drink

Yogurt smoothie drinks - not including homemade

Crystal Light

sugar free beverages

Herbal or decaffeinated tea or coffee

Popsicles (Pedialyte)

LIQUIDS TO AVOID:

Citrus juices (orange, grapefruit, pineapple)

Acidic liquids (tomato juice, Tomato Soup, buttermilk)

Caffeinated beverages (coffee, tea)

Carbonated beverages (any soda pop, seltzer, or tonic water)

Homemade fruit or yogurt smoothies

Anything that seems liquid but is not (Jello, yogurt, pudding, ice cream) *Do pour test*

*STAGE 2 - MUSHIES

START: 2 weeks post surgery

DURATION: Up to 2 weeks post liquid stage

DIET: Soft food

GOAL: Aim for a meal capacity of about 1 cup (8 ounces) for 3 meals per day. Aim for fluid intake of 48-64 ounces per day.

FOODS RECOMMENDED:

Milk (skim or 1% only)

Cottage cheese

eggs (poached, scrambled or soft boiled)

Blended cream soups

Yogurt

Low Fat Cheese - unmelted

Peanut Butter

Tofu (silken only)

Pudding

Applesauce or other fruit sauces

Canned fruits

Mashed potatoes

Cream of Wheat or oatmeal (diluted with milk)

*STAGE 3 - SEMI SOLIDS

START: 4 weeks post surgery

DURATION: 2 weeks post mushies stage

DIET: Semi-solid food

GOAL: Aim for a meal capacity of about 1 cup (8 ounces) for 3 meals per day. Aim for fluid intake of 48-64 ounces per day.

FOOD RECOMMENDED:

Deli cuts of meat

Canned flake meats such as tuna or chicken

Ground meats like ground beef or ground turkey

Beans

Tofu

Baked fish or crab meat

Pasta, rice, and corn

Fresh fruit - eliminate skins

Cooked vegetables - avoid celery, asparagus or broccoli stalks

Low Fat melted cheese

FOODS TO AVOID FOR MUSHIES & SEMI SOLID STAGES:

Caloric beverages - sweetened tea, soda, lemonade, juices

Ice cream, frozen yogurt, milkshakes, & smoothies

Regular Jello

Dry solids like breads, cereals, crackers, high Fiber foods

*STAGE 4 - SOLIDS

RECOMMENDED FOODS & SERVING SIZES:

Protein GROUP:

1 ounce lean meat, poultry or fish

1/4 cup yogurt

1/4 cup pudding

1/4 cup cottage cheese

1 egg, 2 egg whites

1/4 cup egg substitute

1 tbsp. peanut butter

1 ounce tofu

1 ounce cheese

1/4 cup canned flake meat

1 slice deli meat

2 tbsp. grated cheese

1/4 cup shredded cheese

1/2 cup beans

1/4 cup hommus

GRAIN GROUP:

1/2 slice toast

1/4 bagel or english muffin

1/2 cup Cereal (cooked or dry)

1/2 cup broth-type Soup

1 oblong graham cracker

1/4 cup rice, pasta, or potato

1/2 small baked potato

1/4 cup corn

4 crackers

FRUIT GROUP:

1/4 cup canned fruit (in its own juices)

1/4 cup grapes

1/2 piece fresh fruit

1 tsp. jelly or jam

1/4 cup dry fruit

VEGETABLE GROUP:

1/2 cup cooked vegetables

1 cup raw vegetables

1/2 cup Tomato juice

1/4 cup tomato sauce or salsa

OTHERS GROUP:

1 tsp. oil, butter, or margarine

1 tsp. Mayonnaise

1 tbsp. Miracle Whip

1 tbsp. sour cream or cream cheese

1 tbsp. Salad Dressing

2 tbsp. guacamole

4-6 almonds, cashews, or pecans

1 ounce cheese

2 tsp. peanut butter

1 tbsp. tahini

1/4 cup Cool-Whip

1 tsp. sugar, honey, or Syrup

COMBINATION FOODS:

1 or 1 1/2 cup per meal

1/2 cup per snack

CORE PLAN:

BREAKFAST:

1-2 Proteins

1 fruit

2 grains

1 other

LUNCH:

2-3 proteins

1 vegetable

2 grains

1 other

SNACK:

1 fruit

1 protein

DINNER:

2-3 proteins

1-2 vegetables

2 grains

1 other

SNACK:

1 vegetable

1 grain

I hope that this helps those who are researching getting the band, with knowing what your eating habbits will be like after surgery. I also hope that this will help those who are never given a clear eating plan after surgery too.

Please know that this is just the plan that was given to me, and I do not expect all bandsters to follow this plan. It is simply a guidline for those who need one/are not given one.

Please remember to follow exactly what your surgeon/nutritionist says, even if it is different than this list.

Thanks that really helps. I am 17 days post-op and I had some crab, potatoes and rice on the 15th day and 3 triangles of a cheese and chicken quesadillas on the 16th and 17th days. I hope I didnt damage anything. I didnt have any problems, but I will know what to eat.

LisaWA

During the mushie stage, you can safely blend very well and eat any foods. Whatever you are preparing for your family, just blend your portion, reheat, and enjoy a nutrious, varied meal. You will feel full and content, as opposed to lliquids. Of course, make healthy choices - lean, moist meats (remove excess fat), seafood, fish, amd vegetables over Pasta, french fries, high carbs. This should help simplify eating arrangements with the family. No more need to prepare them a meal, then something else for you. And always, chew, chew, chew. I loved roast beef w/carrots and potatoes, stews, grilled liver-n-onions (with gravy if too dry), etc.

Marie, thanks for posting this. Doctors don't all use the same guidelines, though, and these seem *very* conservative to me. My doctor, for example, has us on mushies at one week and full solids at 4 weeks depending on how we're feeling.

Yes, I agree, my doctor didn't exactly follow that guideline either. I also was allowed Jello right from the start in the hospital. Each doctor certainly has their way of doing things.

I WISH they would all follow the same guidelines!!! Maybe someday they'll develop one protocol for all lap band surgeries. Since it's relatively new though, they may be trying them all to see which works best; then combine later to one that works for everyone! Fingers crossed!!! By then we will have all reached our goals!!!

Nancy*

I was told by Dr. Ortiz that there was no set protocol for post op diet put out by Inamed so each Dr. makes up their own.Of course when Ortiz proctors another Dr. he will advise them on the post op dioet he uses. My Dr. seems to have the longest liquid phase 2 weeks Clear Liquids and 1 week full liquids then 2 weeks soft foods and then at week 6 solids. He firmly beleives in having the band set in place and all the swelling down before putting in any food he doesnt not want the band or the stitches to move in any way with the digestion process of food.

My doctor's eating guidelines were different, but what you've posted will definitely be very helpful for those who have no guidelines.

I was allowed only clear liquids for the first three to four days post-op, which included sugar free Jello, broth, and Water.

Then it was regular liquids to carry me through the first two weeks, which could include Tomato juice (V8 was on the list). The nutritionist did say that the acid in tomato based products bothers some people and if we found ourselves having a lot of reflux to drop the tomato products. I had lots of tomato-based Soup with no difficulty but I'm not prone to heartburn. This included a lot of fat-free cream Soups (she told me cream of chicken without the chicken pieces, for example) and the Protein shakes, made with Skim Plus milk. I could also have sugar free Hot chocolate with Skim Plus milk.

Now I'm on mushies for the next two weeks, but even this emphasizes lowfat/sugarless options. It also included "pureed" chicken and meats, and I asked if this meant we were to blend it, and she said no, just chew it very very very well.

It did not say Pasta was a msuhy, and I wondered about that one. Can I eat Pasta if I chew it very very well?

I ordered several boxes of Malt O Meal from Minnesota, because it comes in chocolate. :D :D It's like Cream of Wheat. I figured this will help a lot during those monthly times when I have many cravings.

ShrinkingViolet, Pasta is a starch, and not really a healthy food choice. Try to choose hard Proteins (lean, moist meats), they'll stay in your pouch longer and give you a sense of fullness longer. These can be blended for the mushie stage.

I definately didn't mean to post this as a MUST STICK TO LIST for any and all people. I just thought that it'd be nice for people who are either researching about getting the band, and also those whose doctors never give them much of a guidline to follow after surgery.

I realize that every doctor is different, and that everyone's diets won't all match up. No matter what, we all need to use common sense when eating after ANY major surgery.

I personally don't agree with eating NO pastas, but that's just my choice for me. Last night I ate some canned chicken mixed with macaroni and cheese. It kept me full for a long time, and it was a tasty and different combo for me.

I think that as long as you're eating what you enjoy and what's appropriate for the stage that you're at, then you're doing just fine.

Keep up the great work everyone!

New Hope, the nutritionist told me that mashed potatoes and oatmeal were ok, which are starches? So I guess I assumed Pasta would be about the same?? But during this period, I'm to continue my Protein shakes. Once I graduate to solids, if I can get enough Protein in through my food, I won't have to drink the yucky shakes. I don't think I could eat blended meat. :/

Don't worry though. For lunch, I had scrambled eggs! Yum! And for dinner, I am having cottage cheese.

But I am DYING for a salad. I need veggies so bad...maybe I'll make some sweet potatoes!

Shrinking Violet, mashed potatoes are fine for your stage of healing. But they're not really healthful, for later on, when you can eat real foods. oatmeal is a grain, so it would give you some Vitamins and Fiber. Pasta is just flour, Water, and salt - really no nutritional value there. It takes a while to learn what are the healthier choices. And we all slip and have those "no-nos" sometimes. You're doing great!

I had a tumor removed from my esophagus when I was banded. I had to stay on liquids and mushies longer than usual to give the stitches time to heal. I was so thankful that it turned out benign! I ate blended meals for some time. (Just whatever I'd fixed the family - only limited by my imagination.)

Last night I was looking through some old e-mail, and came across an exchange from when I was in my liquid stage. I mentioned to someone that my doctor had suggested adding Eggbeaters to Protein Shakes for some added Protein. Now that I'm reminded, I remember that it really worked to make the shakes very filling, and that it did a great job of staving off the hungries longer. A good tip that I'd completely forgotten about!!