Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first post op appointment experience; surgeon & NUT

Cleveland Clinic policy is make the appt as close to 10 days as possible. Today was Day 9 post op. All is going well, I've not vomited, or been nauseous (outside the first couple of days).

Fellow surgeon (who actually was with my surgeon doing the surgery did my exam today). I liked him so was happy he did my follow up. I did ask about my new stomach size and got an education in the Bougie size. I had no idea and had never ever seen this mentioned in the gazillion of documents and blogs I've read. Anyway, mine is a 35 and said to be standard at Centers of Excellence.

We discussed why I have 8 incisions. I learned typically they are either 5 or 7 and either works fine, just the surgeons preference. So why did I have 8 and he had to examine my tummy to make sure I was accurate. So the one all the way to my right, I did lose the steri strip and it does seem bruised. He said, that when they were trying to use the tool to reach the stomach it was a stretch, so they cut closer. Seriously not a biggie, but I'm surprized they didn't have a more accurate measurement in placement. My progress is good, able to move about and other physical stuff doing well. Can pull myself up and down without discomfort. My tummy still very swollen, he said can take 2 to 3 weeks to return to normal. He believes I will see it back by next week.

The Nutritionist came in. I cannot start Phase III before Sunday or 12 days post op. However, today I can start plain yogurt, cottage cheese. I must continue my shakes in between meals during Phase III. Also I cannot start my Vitamins until next Friday (that will be 16 days post op). I pulled out all my vitamins that were listed in my handbook that I bought. She picked up the Multi Vitamin PatchMD and said that will be all I need for now as it encompasses all the vitamins I need. They will check my lab work and discuss any changes at my 2 month post op. WHAT?????????? You have no idea how many different vitamins I purchased. She said, the clinic does not have any history with the Patches, but those patients that use them have had good labs, so they are okay with patients who want to use them. Just leave them on 12 hours.

My NUT is extremely conservative, I knew that from the get go. So Sunday I can start on Soft/Pureed High Protein Foods. But there is definitely restrictions. I asked about some of the recipes I have seen that included some vegies, or potatoes, etc. ABSOLUTELY NOT. Not for 2 months. AND, she is really anti-Soup. The Soup nazi for sure. She believes they are totally unwanted fillers that bring little to no nutrients I need now. Only spices.

Well, I thought I'd share my experience as I know we all love to compare what to expect.

They also gave me my lab order for next time, plus a very cute sturdy business credit card size card that on front says:

Cleveland Clinic Florida, Bariatric Institute (the doctors name/title, address, phone number). On the back bottom (I am to put my name). Has had abdominal surgery and must eat very small meals of about one-half cup of food. Please allow our patient to order small portions or from the child's menu. Thank you.

Hi sounds like we are on the same path. Glad to hear everything is going well with you too. I just got back from my post op appointment. Surgery was August 11th so a day over the 1 week mark. Pain has been tolerable, vomiting stopped the first couple of days, and getting Water in hasn't been as much of a chore.

My surgeon and his assistant examined my incisions and answered questions. They want me to start more than just walking and add treadmill, elliptical, or cardio exercises. I haven't heard or read anything about "boogie size" - what is that?

I have 4 incisions and the one on my left side has the most discomfort however they told me today my stomach was removed out of the middle and the left is just where the pain is felt. I can get up and down with some discomfort especially by the end of a long day. Same for me swelling will be fully down in another week or so.

I guess they do phases differently. I like you have been reading everything possible. I was never given a week 1 diet just verbally told Clear liquids broth Jello etc. I had incorporated premier Protein shakes on my own because I saw most people had incorporated by week one and I know my NUT mentioned it to me at some point. Apparently I was NOT supposed to start until the second week but because I tolerated it I was ok. I will be on my stage 2 for about two weeks. I am able to take all pills as needed and the only Vitamin should be my Multivitamin. I use Flinstones chewable but was cleared to start the gummy- yay!

Mine must be conservative as well because I am not allowed soft or puréed foods. I am allowed ONE "food" a day and must have 2 Protein Shakes a day. My foods include: soups- low fat- no meat rice no Pasta and blended, SF pudding, LF yogurt, LF cottage cheese, oatmeal, cream of what, farina, home made mashed potatoes (chicken broth, fat free milk, smart balance) and baby food. Mine was OK with Soup but again only allowed one meal a day...

I found on Amazon this brand called "proti" which my NUT said was okay they had Tomato, cream Soups, and oatmeal with 30g of Protein. She approved all for this stage (contradicts diet but whatever)

I am scheduled for my lab work as well and they want me back in two weeks. September 12th.

That was my experience - I know we should follow what our own doctor says but it's just difficult when I know that my doctor and NUT are giving me the same plan as other patients while yours is giving your plan to his other patients they are not specialized to just us. So to me if there is something in your second step that works why can't I try it?

Maybe I'm just cranky from my week of liquids but I'm a little indifferent after my first appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App