Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mexico, Doctors, and Complications

I'm considering having LapBand done in Mexico but I'm worried about the possible complications. I'm trying to find a Doctor who will help me if a problem should come up, not ignore me. I'm especially worried about erosion and flipped ports.<br /> <br /> For those of you who went to Mexico, who was your doctor, what (if any) complications did you have, and how did your doctor handle it? Did they offer to fix the problem for free or at a discounted rate? Were phone calls returned? <br /> <br /> Or if you got an infection state-side, how did you handle that? Did you have to wait to see a surgeon for aftercare or did you go to see your GP?

Edit: And FWIW, I'm thinking about Ortiz, Kuri, Rumbaut, or possibly Joya as my Doc. And personal experiences with those four would be very much appreciated.

Not sure about the docs you listed, I went to Aceves. I had complications but not surgical related. It was a problem I've always had, didn't know, and it wasn't an issue until I was banded. My doc stood by me, diagnosed it, and fixed it. He's great.

Hospital Angeles - Tijuana Bariatric Group

Operadora de Hospitales Angeles S.A. De C.V.

Ave. Paseo De Los Heroes 10999

Tijuana, B.C. Mexico 22010

011-52-664-635-1900

Welcome to BeLiteWeight

I went to Mexico and had a wonderful experience.

I went to Tijuana to a state of the art hospital

called Hospital Angeles. I was so surprised by how

beautiful the facility was. Marble floors.

Super clean. I am a nurse and it was a nicer hospital

than I have ever seen in the States.

</pre>

DR. VALENCIA and Dr. Corvala were fantastic. They are

very educated and have even taught at UCLA medical center.

You get free follow up for a year. Here is there website and

address. Look it up. It was a wonderful experience for me.

Depending on where you live, Tijuana is a very inexpensive place

to fly to. San Diego, CA is right across the border. Above this

message is all the information.

Good Luck!

</pre>

I'm considering having LapBand done in Mexico but I'm worried about the possible complications. I'm trying to find a Doctor who will help me if a problem should come up, not ignore me. I'm especially worried about erosion and flipped ports.

For those of you who went to Mexico, who was your doctor, what (if any) complications did you have, and how did your doctor handle it? Did they offer to fix the problem for free or at a discounted rate? Were phone calls returned?

Or if you got an infection state-side, how did you handle that? Did you have to wait to see a surgeon for aftercare or did you go to see your GP?

Edit: And FWIW, I'm thinking about Ortiz, Kuri, Rumbaut, or possibly Joya as my Doc. And personal experiences with those four would be very much appreciated.

I want this information as well. Best I can tell Ortiz returnes calls and is good. Let me know who you decide to use. Maybe we couls schedule the same time.

Hey Nan...

I'm looking at having my surgery in about a month, the end of Sept/first week in Oct. When are you looking to have your surgery done?

I am thinking Ortiz. I have read the most about him and I think I will go there. What have you found out about docs anything I need to know. Are you nervous? I am most about having something in me that may work or may make my life hell. I want to believe it will work if I do my part. I have been over weight since 6th grade. I'm 46 now.

I went to Dr. Ortiz and cannot recommend him enough! I didn't have any complications but my personal doctor here knew what was going on and I knew I could call on him if there was an issue that didn't allow me time to get back to Mexico.

Just make sure to have anything set up BEFORE YOU GO in case something does go wrong (but honestly, the chances are slim - just have someone around "in case" :( )

I am thinking Ortiz. I have read the most about him and I think I will go there. What have you found out about docs anything I need to know. Are you nervous? I am most about having something in me that may work or may make my life hell. I want to believe it will work if I do my part. I have been over weight since 6th grade. I'm 46 now.

I am scared out of my wits! :omg: lol. It's really not that bad, but I have the same fears as you. What if I shell out $8k and the band doesn't work, and even worse: what happens if I have to have it removed?

The only thing I've heard about Ortiz negatively is that he doesn't operate out of a hospital, but a clinic, and that his aftercare/followup can leave something to be desired. However I also understand that there is only so much follow up aftercare that can be done when you're going to another country to get your surgery done.

I'm still considering having Dr. Kuri do my prodecure, as I hear he is really good and also works out of a hospital. On the flip side, Ortiz also has an assosiation with a local plastic surgeon there as well which would be nice if I decide to get post-op work done.

I'm 24, I've been overweight for..oh....20 years now :(

Most of the plastic surgery that is done on the "rich" stars and such is done out clinics - not hospitals. One of the girls I was banded with is a nurse and she said she was VERY impressed with the clinic. She said when they wheeled her into the operating room and she started looking around Dr. Ortiz said "You're in the medical profession, aren't you? I can always tell by watching you folks check it out." :( It is spotless and I can tell you the service you get there makes any hospital stay I've had in the US pale in comparison.

Other good things about Dr. Ortiz is that he is on the board of Fill Centers USA, has written a book and has taught many of the doctors who are now performing lapband surgery in the US.

As far as aftercare - I haven't really needed any except after an overfill. They responded to me w/in minutes and had arranged for me to be down there the following Monday (this was on Friday night) and offered to unfill me on the weekend if I felt it was necessary.

I have heard and read of many patients who have been able to reach Dr. Ortiz directly via his cell phone at all hours. I know my personal doctor here in the US and have known him since HS. I don't have his cell number :)

I'm sure there are MANY good doctors in Mexico since they have been doing bands there for years longer than those in the US (and that's not to say there aren't excellent doctors in the US too), but just wanted to share my personal experiences :car:

Tell me about Kuri I have not heard of him til now. I am worried about finding after care here. I have lost 20 lbs on my own so my BMI is 31 now. I have 40 to go. People think I am crazy because I dont have a lot to loose compared to some. But I know with out the band eventually I will gain the 40 back. been there done that It is tough being in that middle spot where you are clearly over weight but not as much as some. It is still hard on your health and mental state.

Hi,

At one time, Dr. Kuri was promoted by BeLiteWeight but they parted ways. My visit was an awsome surgical experience and the hospital was new and more like a resort rather than the hospital. I had no complications from the surgery and am still doing great. I would return to Mexico if I had any complications that required surgery and ask Dr. Kuri and his team to perform the surgery.

I did have to find a local doctor that charged $2000 to accept me as Mexican patient and so far I have had two fills. Great doctor here, too!

I quit smoking in May, after a 30 year habit of 3 to 4 packs a day, so I have only lost 44 pounds in 5 months, however, I COULD HAVE EASILY GAINED THAT AND MORE, so I feel blessed.

I have a sensitive stoma and do not eat well in the mornings and usually do not eat until late afternoon and all evening. That is something I have to work on.

But, I think Dr. Kuri's rates have come down substantially since he is not jobbed out by Beliteweight, so I would definitely talk with Dr. Kuri before you make any decisions.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Tell me about Kuri I have not heard of him til now.

Nan, I emailed Kuri and found out through his patient co-ordinator that he'll only band someone with a miniumum BMI of 35, no matter what co-morbid's you may have. He believe the risk of a slip on a lower BMI patient is too high. Which seems odd to me, because if your BMI is 36, and you want to get it to 28....you have to eventually be a BMI of under 35, and what then?

Ortiz will do a BMI as low as 30 if there are assosiated health risks/co-morbids/history. I'm also not looking into Aceves. I'm also now reconsidering the surgery all together. I'm very afraid I'll go through this trouble, pain, and expense only to have the band fail on me.

Of course, I'd rather go through all of that and more if it would mean finally being a healthy weight, for good.

I used Dr. Arturo Rodriguez in Monterrey, MX and he and his staff we fantastic. He will even take calls from you on his cell phone if he is not in surgery and answers any questions you may have. I would highly recommend him. Don't worry about going to Mexico. If you find the right doctor, you will be very well taken care of and actually get to start living your life! I don't regret for one second getting my band. It was the best decision I have ever made for myself. Good Luck!!:rolleyes: