Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TheGh0st's Extended Tummy Tuck w/Lipo

Wow, Ghost - look at you! NICE results you got!

Calling Maziemommy, TracyinKS & Wombat 712...

This may be Off Topic but I need some updates please. The three of you all suggested you were going to try the arm rubbing thing about 2 weeks ago. Have any of you done it? Have you had any results?

I had dinner with another bandster last night who had some physical therapy on one of her arms. (long story as to why) but she said by the time it was complete it had the side benefit of shrinking that arm down by 4". So that's 2 people that have had good results with it. (3 if you count my mother which I don't)

I have been doing it a little off and on. I have bad shoulders so it starts hurting :) There's just too much to rub!! I can't decide if I want to rub my tummy (ewe), my thighs (yuck) or my arms (eh - the least gross).

What I've found to be the biggest problem is how to keep it still so I can get an appropriate rubbing going lol

I'll measure tonight so I can track for here on out.

I have been doing it a little off and on. I have bad shoulders so it starts hurting ;) There's just too much to rub!! I can't decide if I want to rub my tummy (ewe), my thighs (yuck) or my arms (eh - the least gross).

What I've found to be the biggest problem is how to keep it still so I can get an appropriate rubbing going lol

I'll measure tonight so I can track for here on out.

Wombat - I'm truly feeling better but come on it still hurts to laugh that hard. Are you trying to make me bust a stitch?

But, I know what you mean. I only worked on my arms because I just couldn't reach my thighs under all the excess stomach skin and I just couldn't figure out a rubbing technique on my stomach that felt like it was doing anything more than making it jiggle like Santa when he shouts "Ho Ho Ho" :heh: (Sorry, private joke from another thread)

Keep me posted though. I want to hear some results by Christmas.

But, I know what you mean. I only worked on my arms because I just couldn't reach my thighs under all the excess stomach skin and I just couldn't figure out a rubbing technique on my stomach that felt like it was doing anything more than making it jiggle like Santa when he shouts "Ho Ho Ho" :heh: (Sorry, private joke from another thread)

Gosh I'm so offended!! ;)

Hi Diane. Thanks for this thread. I have followed it, though I hadn't posted. I appreciate you commenting on my thread and know you will be a valuable resource for me as I start down the PS path. Thanks again

I would also like details on the arm rubbing thing.

Jersey & JFC

Below is a link to a thread that I posted some pics of my arms on. I also talk about it in more depth on page 14 of this thread. I only ask that you take some before measurements if not pics and then let me know if it works for you.

wombat - I know what you mean I've got one bum shoulder myself and don't rub my arms near as much any more as it aggrevates the problem. I did see somewhere else on LBT and on some other sites that I googled that claimed that you could improve your skin tone/elasticity (along with a whole host of other claims) just by brushing your arms or other body parts with a natural boar's bristle brush. I went so far as to buy a brush and have used it a few times on my legs and arms but never took any before pics or measurements, and I haven't been doing it at all since the surgery. My hope was it wouldn't be so hard on my shoulder to simply brush my skin. And it might be easier to reach areas like my thighs with a brush. There is nothing in my book is a miracle cure for the excess skin, Your skin can only recover so much, maybe more with these methods, maybe not but still for people who have lost as much weight as we have I just don't see it as a cure. My personal hope was it would improve my arms enough that I can stop obsessing over my inability to afford the PS for my arms and be satisfied with whatever improvement it might give me.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f109/excess-skin-questions-39989/

Oh and one more note on the skin. The *Experts*"?" say that your skin tone, elasticity can continue to improve for as long as 12-18 months after losing weight. Patience just isn't one of my virtues.

NO- I haven't tried this -yet. I have a million "reasons" in my head as to why, but when they come out of my mouth -they sound just like "excuses".

Calling Maziemommy, TracyinKS & Wombat 712...

This may be Off Topic but I need some updates please. The three of you all suggested you were going to try the arm rubbing thing about 2 weeks ago. Have any of you done it? Have you had any results?

I had dinner with another bandster last night who had some physical therapy on one of her arms. (long story as to why) but she said by the time it was complete it had the side benefit of shrinking that arm down by 4". So that's 2 people that have had good results with it. (3 if you count my mother which I don't)

NO- I haven't tried this -yet. I have a million "reasons" in my head as to why, but when they come out of my mouth -they sound just like "excuses".

No worries. Just curious is all. I'm no one to judge after all you should hear all my excus..er..um..reasons I have for not having done my scar massages twice a day as the PS ordered. I keep kicking myself in the rear to get on track but haven't done it more than once every other day for the last 10+ days. I'm telling myself now that Thanksgiving is over I'm going to get back on track. I paid enough money for this I really should be doing my part to get the best results possible.

Hi Diane, congratulations, you look great! I just wanted to ask how long the recovery time is. How long before you can go back to work full time?

Each doc probably gives different reccomendations, especially depending on the extent of the surgery. (amount of skin, Lipo, length of surgery, etc.) For my surgery, it lasted about 4-1/2 hours, the incision went out past my hips on both sides, between 11 & 12 pounds in skin & lipo was removed. The doc wanted me to take at least 4 weeks off work. However, in the end I worked 2 3-hour days after 1 week (with my drains still in) 1/2 time after 2 weeks and full time after 3. Mind you I work a sit down bookkeeping job and had help both getting and putting away files & making copies all the way through the first month after my surgery. So far it APPEARS my insolence has not caused any harm outside of possibly some extra swelling. But that does NOT mean I reccomend anyone else follow in my footsteps. My actions could have caused (and for all I know may still cause) any number of complications I don't even realize. Unfortunately I'm a bit stubborn and known for not following medical advice. I was also back to work only 3 days after my gallbladder surgery and even worse less than a week after having my son via C-section. Infact the PS thinks maybe that is one reason the internal scar tissue in my C-section area was as bad as it was.

Hi Diane, congratulations, you look great! I just wanted to ask how long the recovery time is. How long before you can go back to work full time?

I wanted to pass on some links Ghost posted for me in another thread.

They have been invaluable to me in my research.

They should be in a sticky at the top of this page.

Link to info on Tummy Tuck (also has a link to some pics):

Abdominoplasty

Link to info on avg doctor rates for various Plastic surgeries. But NOTE this does NOT include the facility or Anethesia fees which can nearly double some of these costs. Still this is VERY interesting wish I'd seen it before looking around.

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/media/...m&PageID=23422

Info about patients satisfaction with Plastic Surgery (Still doesn't give actual complication statistics but it is an interesting read)

http://www.plasticsurgery.org/media/...m&PageID=23761

Here are a couple links about the stats I just found as well.

(This one is just an overview of a larger study but stiil lists some stats and might be a good jumping off point for digging further into google for the full report)

Abdominoplasty and abdominal contour surgery: a na...[Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006] - PubMed Result

(This one is lengthy with lots of stats but maybe a bit confusing.)

Tummy tuck complications

Finally here is a link suggesting the importance of using prophylactic antibiotics in abdominoplasty operations. My doctor did use antibiotics post-surgery. Didn't really ask why but I'm glad he did now.

Elsevier

On the subject of the arm massaging, I remember seeing a segment on 20/20 or Dateline (or a similar show) a few years ago. From what I remember, the whole show was about different ways to lose weight. Anyway, it showed a woman in Florida (I think) who did these aggressive massages to reduce fat (I think they showed her massaging someone's stomach). This wasn't just something for cellulite - it was really about reducing the size of the stomach. I've tried googling it but I can't find any reference to it.