Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings from Chester County, PA

Good morning, everyone. I just joined this forum so I could have a great support system in place besides family for when I finally get my surgery. Greetings from hot and humid Southeastern Pennsylvania!

A few facts about me... I've always been heavy and big. I used to write it off as being "big-boned" but as I grew older I became heavier and heavier. Now I am 45 with a BMI of almost 50, I'm diabetic, and I have high blood pressure. My health got way out of control for me, so I started eating better and cleaner and investigated bariatric surgery. Ultimately I decided to have a gastric sleeve done at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania because I get my primary and specialty care there. In fact, one year ago today I attended my first bariatric surgery info session. My surgeon will be Dr. Noel Williams.

I started the medical weight management process in October 2015 and sort of chickened out. Then I changed jobs and got new insurance and decided I needed to do this for myself and my family, including my two little girls, so I had to go through all of it again starting in April. My current insurance (Highmark Delaware) requires 6 sessions and I just completed session #4. In the interim, I've had a chest X-ray, upper GI series, psychological clearance, cardiac clearance, pulmonary workup sleep study is next month), and endoscopy. I'm ready to have it done but yesterday my surgeon and I decided to aim for February 2017 because that will be the one-year anniversary of my new job, thus making me eligible for FMLA.

I have a question about time out of work - I've read the FAQ, but would be interested to learn your perspectives:

I've read anywhere between 2-6 weeks out of work. I had a friend who had a duodenal switch done and she was back within 2 weeks, which included 1 week in the hospital recovering. I, like her, have a sedentary/desk job which doesn't require any significant lifting. Is 2 weeks post-discharge from the hospital a realistic timeframe to aim for in a return to work?

I'm nervous as heck about this surgery but also eager to get it done because I know it's going to totally change my life!

Greetings back from Montgonery county, PA! I live in Pottstown and also had my surgery at HUP (June 17th) with Dr Kristoff Dumon (same practice as Dr Williams).

I have a desk job as well. Stayed out of work 2 weeks but probably should have taken a third off just because I was still very tired all the time. Plus week 3 (when I went back to work) is also when you transition from full liquids to purees and have to start separating out drinking and eating. So between those 30 minute windows and being "distracted" by work - it was hard to get all my fluids in that week. I think if I had stayed home that week to get the whole drink, wait 30 minutesm eat, wait 30 minutes, drink again routine down before adding in the additional variable of work it would have been easier. Pain-wise you'll most likely be fine - my pain post-op was very mild - did half the prescribed amount of narcotics once i got home for about 4 days and then switched to plain old tylenol twice a day for another 5 days or so. Was completely off pain meds by the time I went to work.

Let me know if you have any questions about HUP or the Penn Medicine protocols etc. Do you attend any of the support group meetings? I go to the saturday ones at the perelman center regularly and try to make the valley forge ones when they have them. they are a great resource!

Thanks for the perspective and information! :)

I am very impressed with the Penn bariatric program. They're really committed to making it work for the patient.

I think I am going to apply for 3 weeks of FMLA leave and see how it goes. Fortunately I am eligible for short term disability now so I'll get some income ... I'm salaried so I don't really have PTO or set vacation days. I'm planning ahead now because February will be here before I know it!

i'm going to my first support group at Valley Forge later this month and plan to go to as many as I can post-surgery.

sadly I won't be at the valley forge one this month (have to go out of town that weekend for my niece's birthday party) but hopefully I'll see you at another support group meeting soon!. Smaller crowd at valley forge (I wish they had them every month). The perelman center ones draw a bigger crowd and there are some vets who are several years out that come regularly who provide great insight! Even though you only need to attend one pre-op, try to go to as many as you can pre-op. Everyone's stories definitely help prepare you for what to expect.

My one advice for HUP is do not assume you will end up in the bariatric surgery ward after surgery. They tell you that at the info session - that post-op the ward you are in is all bariatric surgery patients and nurses who only deal with those patients. Not true - where my room was, they had never had another bariatric surgery patient before and the nurses didn't know the protocol at all. I had to keep explaining things to them. Seriously, the day after surgery they tried to get me to drink ginger ale with a straw at least 5 times times. and every time I refused (explaining why), they would bring me full caffeine coffee which I then had to explain why I couldn't have caffeine. So make sure you ask enough questions of the nurses at your nutrition class and the pre-admissions appointment that you fully understand what needs to happen post surgery while you are in the hospital.