Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@gina171 Im going to PM you so we dont hijack the thread ;)

Edited by offthebandwagon

If your surgeon allows, you could do both. It's called duodenal switch. Have you looked into that at all? It's considered the most powerful procedure performed today. It's for patients 50 bmi and up. I hear not very many doctors do it but it worth asking or researching.

To answer OP, I'm choosing the sleeve because:

I don't want to dump

I don't want Vitamin malabsorption

I don't want a pouch for a stomach. (It stretches easier)

Want to keep my natural pyloric valve (don't really want food getting stuck, etc)

I don't want a blind stomach. (With the bypass they seal up your stomach. So if you get an ulcer, stomach cancer or other ailments you will not be able to have a scope go in and check it out. You will have to get an operation in order for the doc to access the blind stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@marchmellow - "I don't want a blind stomach. (With the bypass they seal up your stomach. So if you get an ulcer, stomach cancer or other ailments you will not be able to have a scope go in and check it out. You will have to get an operation in order for the doc to access the blind stomach." This is new to me. It sounds right, but do you have a reference?

@@marchmellow - "I don't want a blind stomach. (With the bypass they seal up your stomach. So if you get an ulcer, stomach cancer or other ailments you will not be able to have a scope go in and check it out. You will have to get an operation in order for the doc to access the blind stomach." This is new to me. It sounds right, but do you have a reference?

I read it in one of my books. I also just did a Google search and came across a few others referring to it as "blind stomach" as well. Here's a link to one that i found. I hope this helps. I don't think it's an official medical term but some doctors use this term to explain it to patients. It might also be called "blind loop syndrome" (I'm not sure though, I would need to google some more)

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/3950018/More-questions-blind-stomach/

I'd thought initially that I wanted a bypass.

My pcp was very much enthused about the sleeve procedure and so was my bariatric surgeon.

I eventually decided to go with the VSG due to default. My surgeon warned me that it was a bit more risky for me due to him have to also repair a large abdominal hernia. If the repair failed early on....it could involve my newly rerouted plumbing and be very dangerous. He was much more confident with me having the VSG done.

The ability to take regular meds was a bonus, as I have arthritis in my knees and back and good old tried and true Advil offer me relief.

Now.....10+ months past my surgery I am very happy that I went with the sleeve. Very grateful and very confident that it will provide me with a lifeline tool to combat weight loss.

@@Dub

I'll always take my Vitamins no matter the surgery but taking stuff for regular day in and out pains will be good. I am leaning more and more toward sleeve.

@@Dub

I'll always take my Vitamins no matter the surgery but taking stuff for regular day in and out pains will be good. I am leaning more and more toward sleeve.

I'm not too certain if you mentioned having arthritis, but as I do suffer from it- both rheumatoid ( an autoimmune disease ) and osteo, as well as Migraines. I didn't mourn the thought of not having certain foods, rather the loss of my best friend, ibuprofen. I literally lived on it- 4 at a time.

The point is- I would not make your decision based upon the ability or inability to take it. I'm 5 months post op RNY, my RA has NOT FLARED (I fear the word remission still- will revisit that at the one year mark) and the only two headaches I've had post op were easily managed with a single Tylenol.

So one never knows how many things will get better post op. Choose your surgical tool based upon what you think will hold you the most accountable and offers you the greatest chance of success. And, of course, you feel most comfortable with.

Good Luck!

@@LisaMergs

I don't have any issues per say I take an anti depressant and ADD medication. I have a good 100lbs to lose and just not sure what the best fit for me is. I've done loads of research good and bad on both. By surgeon is rather hands off on the decision. No one in the practice is willing to "sway" me one way or another.

@@Dub

A lot of factors weigh in, no pun intended, on which procedure is best for you.

It spent so much time just getting to the point where I made the decision to have wls. It seemed like a whirlwind of decisions made very, very swiftly to decide which wls to have.

It is something that needs to be customized to your needs, lifestyle and future way of living.