Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Update on my problem port

I edited the original version of this post cause things changed during the day; I originally posted that my wound had finally closed for 2 days, but it opened up again this afternoon. It was a thrilling 2 days while it lasted! So I'm shortening this long post.

For newbies, my port site became badly infected so they removed my port in June, and the wound remains open. It's not infected but it leaks every day so I have to keep it clean and bandaged.

My second update had me in tears this morning after hubby gave me my one-month-weigh-in-smooch. In November, I gained 6 pounds on vacation. It took me 2 weeks to lose it, but then I went to California and gained it back. Add Thanksgiving, indulging in countless no-nos (food wise) and the fact I work with the Erin, the world's biggest diet saboteur, PLUS, My period will be here in a day or two so I'm probably bloated, PLUS I DON'T EVEN HAVE A PORT, and I managed to lose an additional 2 pounds (crying again) bringing my total loss in 7 months to sniff, 66 pounds. SIXTY-SIX. It's unreal, unbelievable, insane, baffling, cunning, powerful, righteous and indescribably miraculous. And I didn't diet - not one single day. I'm going to copy this part in the weigh-in thread also, cuz I'm on top of the world so duplicity is okay.

About my port: I've shared with a few people because I didn't want everyone to know; but now I realize how unfair it is to hold information back since this board is integral to our safety, success, and general band health. We need all the info we can get, right? Here goes: In the past months I've been to Urgent Care 3 times, the veterinarian, my primary doc, my secondary doc, my gastroenterologist, a local surgeon, an official band doctor, two radiologists, and I've shown my open incision to over 25 people including several nurses. Everybody says it looks great (even though it leaks.) 45 days ago, both surgeons agreed it would heal. But I was still lost since none of these doctors are capable of giving me a new port. So I called Inamed last week and gave them an earful and cried and complained and vented my anger. Larry got Lopez to call me. Inamed & Lopez refused to let me bring up the past, and I felt at their mercy, so I talked to Lopez and gave him my history since being banded. His first statement was that he needed to open the wound and let it heal from the inside out. That pleased me greatly since he was in sync with the local surgeon - at least they both had the same opinion. But I told Lopez that the surgeon already did that over a month ago, and it never healed (remember the pics I posted of the hole the surgeon made in my wound?) So Lopez was glad I had it cleaned out, but he said the only other reason it wouldn't heal was infection. I told him all the folks that looked at the goop ensured me it's not infectious Fluid, and based on all the information, Lopez was 99% sure the tube is rejecting. He said since the tube and band are made of the same material, that my band would eventually reject as well, and that he needs to remove my band. We went over a lot of details, but he wants me in Mexico ASAP to do an endoscopy to confirm his beliefs. I asked if rejected bands erode, and he said, "most likely." He said a small percentage of people reject the material, and I'm one of them. I told him, "no, you can't have my band" so we started making deals. He said if there's no erosion, we could "milk" my band a little longer. He was extremely impressed with my weight loss - pleasantly shocked. Based on my loss, he agreed to put a new temporary port in to see if I can lose more. But he said that I'd have to come to TJ prepared to have the band removed, cuz they'd do the endoscopy when I was under the anesthesia, which means I'd go to sleep but won't know if I either have a new port or no band at all till I wake up in some Mexico hospital. He said if I'm 100% no erosion, he'd put the port on the opposite side. He said it will most likely react the same way my first did, which is to leak and never heal, but based on my experience dealing with an open wound, if I keep it clean every day, I may be able to get the same mileage out of a 2nd port before needing to have the entire contraption removed,

I'm taking everything with a grain of salt till I get the endoscopy results, but I'm not headed to Mexico yet because I don't have the money. Lopez won't charge me surgical fees, but I'd have to pay the hospital and endoscopy, but he said he'd get me discounted rates. I don't have the money now so thank God he said my situation is not an emergency. Meanwhile, I've got my wheels spinning in many different directions checking out other options, other doctors, other prices. I'm extremely grateful this isn't an emergency so I have time to kick it around and get other opinions.

I'm preparing for the worst but hoping for the best. I'm handling it super well. And I STILL HAVE RESTRICTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So no hurry.

Blessed. Truly blessed. There's something to that "one day at a time" that keeps my spirits rejuvenated. Just for today I have a band. Just for today I can eat one taco and a couple bites of burrito. Just for today I can be free from compulsive binge eating. Just for today I am alive and well and damn it, crying again.

I wish I could bottle this feeling and share it with the world. Thank you, every one of you, for being my backbone. Please pass me a tissue – rolling alligator tears – the good ones. Thanks for reading. I love you.

Whoooo Hoooo! Congrats on the loss, you have been through a lot, and still have come out on top! :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

This must be the week for all good things to happen! :D So many of you have had such good things this week.

Lisa - My Mother always said "good things come to those who wait". She also always said "what is meant to be, will be". I think those are both appropriate to say in your case. I wish you all the luck in the world with being able to keep your band and get a new port. I am hoping that you just had a really bad infection from a stitch, wouldn't that be wonderful? I will keep my fingers, and my toes crossed for you, and say a little prayer too!

Good Luck!

Delarla, just when I was feeling sorry for myself, really getting a case of, "what in the hell am I getting ready to do?" syndrome. I think I'm even getting close to a panic attack, although I've never had one. So, after reading your story, I'm going to suck it up and stay focused on the new me and my journey ahead.

You've been such a martyr, I only hope that if I have any problems I can handle them as well as you have. Thanks for letting us share your ups and downs.guess.gif

PS

Any encouragements today will be greatly appreciated, still a little, what am I saying, a lot nervous and scared.

Lisa, I can't tell you how happy I am for you. I thank God that your wound is finally, finally healed for good. But of course, you are largely responsible for it because you had such tenacity in pursuing a medical answer and in caring for your wound on a daily basis. I hope that part of your feeling of elation is the knowledge that you have been so very responsible. I am praying that a way will be cleared for you to get a new port and that you will be able to keep your band.

Nancy

Hi Lisa,

I hope things are on the improve list now. Jeez' you've been thru a ton. Didn't you have an endoscopy earlier? Well, as you can imagine I sure hope its not erosion and the doc can put in a new port. That sucks you won't know either way until they wake you up. Great job on this weeks loss though. You make us all proud to know you girl! Love ya, Teresa

(((((((((((((((Lisa))))))))))))))) 66lbs!! That is awesome weightloss, especially after all you've been dealing with! I am so proud of you girl! I sincerely hope your wound stays closed and you prove all this 'rejection' theory wrong! No one deserves their band any more than you do. So, I hope you get to keep yours. :D We love you girl and we're rooting for you!!

Lisa, by now we have both proven to each other time and time again that we have this connection. I woke up at 6:30 this morning and thought something was happening I needed to know about. I wasn't scared or upset just knew that something was happening out in the etheral world and I needed to be aware of it. SO now I know what that THING was. I am so pleased and crying for you as well. I know how hard it has been to stay strong through all this crap but you have been like a rock.

The port issues will resolve themselves and you know I will be right there holding your hand when you wake up either way. I will hold your hand all the way. There will be all of us holding you up all along the way. So for this short period of time where you won't have control we as your band brothers and sisters will hold you up.

I love ya girl.

WITCH!!! 66 lbs YOU SUCK!!!!!! You know I love ya

DeLarla,

I am just started to research the band, and have been reading your posts. You have made such awesome progress. I hope all goes well when you go down to Mexico and that you can keep your band. God bless!

Sonia

Wow! I am shocked that Lopez actually called you after all this time! One of these days you will have to give us all the details on how that came about!

I am so proud of you for doing so well with your weight loss while going through all that agony with your port incision. I am saying prayers and crossing my fingers that you will get to keep your band. Keep your chin up, Lisa, we are all here for you.

Lisa!!

Way to go on your weight loss...I told you those 6 lbs were just "fluff" weight. I'm so proud of you..to have lost 66 lbs with no port and the battles with food you have endured..you are an inspiration to all of us...I'm equally as happy for you too to hear your wound is finally closed!! YAHOO!!! Looks like things are finally going your way for a change. With all that you have batled you are still able to keep it together and still make us laugh like crazy! I love you too!

Lisa, I am so happy that your wound is closed. What a relief for you! Everyone is right, you have done such an amazing job. You are my hero!!! Well, all of you are! But, Lisa-you are doing FANTASTIC!!! I am going to continue to pray for your healing and success!

Wow, 66 pounds down, with no port. Fantastic! And you even managed to get a call from the mysterious Dr. Lopez. That's downright miraculous.

You will find a way to get to Mexico; maybe we could have an on-line boa and hat auction.

I'm so happy that you finally heard from Dr. L, that he's helping you get a break on the hospital fees, and that you got some straight answers about your port. May your wound stay closed and your spirits high. We're all rooting for you.

:banana

I'm not going to be angry or upset. I simply refuse to let this bugger win, but this afternoon I felt like I had a wet diaper - only it was my shirt. Yep, sprung a leak. Oh well, being closed for over 24 hours was a start, right? And the PMS hormones have shifted from weepy to bitch so no more crying (but looking for shoes to throw.) I came home (out playing all day) embarrassed that I was so weepy and mushy earlier and feeling goofy for writing such a long post. Silly hormones. I knew you guys would all be there, and Penni, I look forward to waking up with you holding my hanny one day. Thanks girlies for being my backbone. No matter what, I'm not going to wallow in self-pity cause that won't get me anywhere. Now it's rainy and cold so I'm gonna snuggle in the big bed with my mutts. Maybe take a nap! Love you guys! Lis

Oh, and it's no secret how I got Lopez to call me. I called Inamed directly. The guy that answered didn't know what to do with me cuz I was hyped up, talking a million miles a minute, half-crying, at my wit's end. He actually put me thru to Lopez's office where Nora answered, but that didn't go well. So Larry left a message on a number only Lopez answers, and Lopez called me back. They are great friends, so Larry had some pull.

Lisa,

Your should be really proud of your weight loss. If you can do that under all this adversity look what you can do once your wound has healed. I hope that you are not rejecting your band. Best of luck. Keep us posted you are an inspiration to all of us.!